General Inquiry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hombre4

Could someone share their secret with me on what glue you use to glue in a painted tube. Seems everything I try the glue shows through and or it takes some of the paint off, especially on the ends. I am now trying the Elmers white glue but not sure if it will hold the pen tube solid.

Thanks...Archie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I think that's really going to be a function of what products AND processes work for you. I use 2 part epoxy and ALWAYS paint the tubes AND inside of the barrels - unless I am using a material like opaque Trustone or M3. I see that PSI has some glue tinting pigment, but I don't know how that eliminates the glues lines; some say they twirl the tube inside the barrel. I am among the most impatient turners out there. I rather wait the extra 12 to 16 hours for the Krylon to dry inside the barrel and on the tubes (it actually cures more quickly) than to see brass or glue lines on a completed assembled pen...that why I wan to start throwing things. Remember, it has to be what you are comfortable dong for the results you want to achieve - not what I do or what I what to achieve, Happy turning!

thewishman

Hey Archie, for me, painting the hole works better than painting the tube. The glue on the tube will show through the blank, painting the blank blocks out whatever is below. Sometimes I have to drill the hole a bit larger so the tube doesn't scrape the paint off.

RobS

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I paint both the inside of the blank and the tube, but painting the inside of the blank is more important if you don't want to do both.

I use Krylon spray paint and let it dry for at least 24 hours, but usually 2-3 days.

Then I test fit the tube in the hole to make sure I didn't build up the paint too much. I use medium CA glue once I'm ready for glue-up.

campzeke

I paint both the inside of the blank and the tube with cheap acrylic craft paints that you can buy at any craft store or Walmart. I use a Q-Tip to paint the inside of the blank. Let the paint dry overnight or longer then glue with 5 minute epoxy. The only time I have ever had a problem is when I don't give the paint or the epoxy time to cure. Works for me ...

Top Bottom