Gee I wonder why

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
My guess is either 1) he thinks he has a piece of "real" sandalwood (Santalum album L.) or 2) he hopes to find a buyer who thinks that is the real stuff. For those of you who haven't experienced this wood, it is nearly impossible to find at any price.

PenWorks

I think there magic blanks and a pretty good deal [:)]
Put them on your lathe at night,.... come back in the morning.....
And it turns itself,....instant pen ! [:D]

Rifleman1776

With the rarity of real sandalwood, it might be worth the price. But, to buy off eBay from a stranger, mighty risky. Besides, how many of us can actually identify sandalwood when/if we see it?

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />With the rarity of real sandalwood, it might be worth the price. But, to buy off eBay from a stranger, mighty risky. Besides, how many of us can actually identify sandalwood when/if we see it?

Real Sandalwood might be worth a high price, but this is Tamboutie, a pretty common African wood. Nothing special about this. I bought some time ago a board of Tamboutie at my Woodcraft store, and I cut it into pen blanks, as far as I remember correctly the cost for one of these was much less than 1$ (considered that Woodcraft is not the cheapest when it comes to wood). I have no idea why it is also called "African Sandalwood", did not have any special smell to it.

its_virgil

(REAL)Sandlewood is rare enough and used by Orientals as a medicinal product that the dealer I purchased a couple of blanks from in Hawaii cleans his bandsaw and collects the sandlewood dust to sell for medicinal purposes. Interesting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />With the rarity of real sandalwood, it might be worth the price. But, to buy off eBay from a stranger, mighty risky. Besides, how many of us can actually identify sandalwood when/if we see it?

mick

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />I think there magic blanks and a pretty good deal [:)]
Put them on your lathe at night,.... come back in the morning.....
And it turns itself,....instant pen ! [:D]
Pen Maker elves Anthony?[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom