Frustrating morning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

So I decided to upgrade my Nova 1624-44 with the DVR motor. Got my motor yesterday and got up early this morning to do the conversion. Couldn't get the the pulley off of the old motor. Started off with Gentle prying back and forth, applied heat, soaked with liquid wrench, made some hard wood wedges to drive between the pulley and motor, nothing worked. Got a bigger hammer and some log splitting wedges to drive between the motor and pulley (yes I am a graduate of the bigger hammer school of mechanics). It's a wonder that I didn't break something. The pulley did not suddenly break loose, it fought all the way. I expected to see the key out of line or twisted or the shaft to be rusty. Nothing wrong with the key and no rust and yes I had loosened the set screw. I am mystified as to what the problem was. It slid right on to the new motor with no problem.

Lathe is back together and running so all is good now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Can you get a gear puller on it. Whenever pulling things like that off, the key is even pulling power. When you use wedges and like you put strain to one side. Needs to be pulled evenly.

The end of the pulley is solid so I don't think a gear puller would have worked.

randyrls

This is likely a result of someone in China being too lazy to get another pulley from the bin and just using a BFH to get the pulley on the shaft.

This is a regular problem with metal lathe bearings. The bearings are ALWAYS beaten on the journals with a mallet or hollow pusher. When i replace the bearings on my lathe, it took 0.001" off the journal to make the fit a push interference fit.

robutacion

So I decided to upgrade my Nova 1624-44 with the DVR motor. Got my motor yesterday and got up early this morning to do the conversion. Couldn't get the the pulley off of the old motor. Started off with Gentle prying back and forth, applied heat, soaked with liquid wrench, made some hard wood wedges to drive between the pulley and motor, nothing worked. Got a bigger hammer and some log splitting wedges to drive between the motor and pulley (yes I am a graduate of the bigger hammer school of mechanics). It's a wonder that I didn't break something. The pulley did not suddenly break loose, it fought all the way. I expected to see the key out of line or twisted or the shaft to be rusty. Nothing wrong with the key and no rust and yes I had loosened the set screw. I am mystified as to what the problem was. It slid right on to the new motor with no problem.

Lathe is back together and running so all is good now.

I had the same problem with mine but got it out in the end, I've done this in preparation for the DVR head replacement that I was so interested in and that turn out to be a headacne for a few people including my special friend Mark that got the new head for me and then had to send it back because I backed off of the idea due to issues that were discovered these new heads have, please see this thread

I would suggest you do the tests suggested and see if your new head is really functioning properly, I hope so, for your sake.

As for me, I will continue to "WISH" I had DVR and from the way things are going, I think that will continue to be a wish to the end of my days.:frown:

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

Cwalker935

George,
I ran it through all the control functions and it did everything it was supposed to do. My controller is different than what is shown in the literature that came with the motor. That was a little confusing when trying to align the mounting bracket and when learning the various controls. Perhaps they modified the controller to get some of the bugs out.

robutacion

George,
I ran it through all the control functions and it did everything it was supposed to do. My controller is different than what is shown in the literature that came with the motor. That was a little confusing when trying to align the mounting bracket and when learning the various controls. Perhaps they modified the controller to get some of the bugs out.

Well, I sincerely hope so, if it works as advertised, it will make a big difference to the normal lathe use so, enjoy it's capabilities...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom