Frightening thought

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I saw this on a FB post the other day...

cursive.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kenmic

Cursive Cartoon

Thanks for the cartoon Monty. I suppose we should not bemoan the loss of cursive any more than the buggy whip or slide rule.

Cursive was part of life, a beautiful skill to learn and a pleasure to read when well written. I recently received a printed thank you note and cringed. At least they didn't email it.

Skie_M

"Dude, seriously?? This one dude's john hancock looks like chicken scratch ... what is that, Sanskrit?"

*looks at what the idiot boy is talking about...*

"No ... that's John Hancock's signature."

edicehouse

OOO I want to play, what are they teaching.... If you don't do what a teacher tells you to do, then don't do what a school administrator tells you to do, and then you don't do what a cop tells you to do, you become an internet celebrity.

Carl Fisher

What they teach today is just test taking because that's how the school and the teachers are rated. I strongly feel that's one of the driving reasons that they took away many of the arts related classes? Art, drafting, shop, home ec and general life skills... Because it's not quantifiable on a test.

Yes I have 2 in school right now and one that will be in a few years. My boys are in 7th and 9th grades. I am truly saddened by what I've seen over the last 9 years.

Sorry, I'm off my soap box now as I know this topic can go down the rabbit hole very quick and I don't want to start a heated education debate on IAP

tbroye

I got my 11 year old Granddaughter mad at me one night I did her Math homework faster the she did. I did it the old way 2+2= 4 not a 3 page diagram and explanation. not all kids will Scientist or Engineers some of them will be mechanics, Secretaries or maybe just homemakers give them stuff to make their live worthwhile and easier.

vakmere

I know they aren't teaching them math, grammar, spelling, or handwriting. Just what the heck are they teaching them?

I see it more like what are they showing them. "Here is the lesson for today, if you can all fit it in between texting and Facebook have it completed by the end of the week and email it to me." Things are different now. Teachers have to work with what the school boards give them and go from there.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Being the sire of two school district superintendents in two different states, I can say without hesitation that schools are involved in far too much activity that is really unrelated to education. Children are reaching the point where they can't do simple arithmetic without a calculator or computer.

Skie_M

It's kinda sad that there are a lot of schools that stress performance in a sport over actual learning in a classroom ....

I find it ridiculously sad that teachers are being forced to permit the use of cellphones and other "toys" in class simply because kids say they can't do their homework without a "calculator" app in it.

It's also sad that a lot of kids go their entire school lives without once setting foot in a farm yard, or a garden, or a wood shop ....

Whatever happened to the old trades? Learning to milk a cow? Hunting chicken eggs in the yard? Picking veggies right when they're ripe and weeding a row with a hoe? What about apprenticing in order to learn how to build a cabinet, a table, or a chair?

Whatever happened to teaching our kids how to do for themselves, how to live on their own rather than forcing them to go get green paper and ignore all else in life in order to survive?

I remember growing up and learning from my dad how to fish ... how to make a chair or a bed and a lean-to shed in the woods ....

I remember how to make a fire with primitive materials, like steel and flint, and how to make do with what I have or make whatever I need.

I see these kids bumming around on the street complaining that they have nothing to do all the time. Whatever happened to just plain "making it up as you go"?

I think Keenan Ivory Wayans said it best, when he was playing a Marine in some movie or another .... "I'm a Marine ... we don't plan ****, we improvise!". Well, I think they plan some stuff too, but whatever happened to the power of imagination?

If you can dream it, you can build it.

KBs Pensnmore

When I was at school about 50 years ago, we had a maths lesson, at the end it was handed in, and was marked wrong, did it again, still the same answer, again and again, always coming up with the same result. Had to do it for home work, still the same result, my mother worked it out and got the same answer, turns out the answer in the back of the book that teacher was working from was wrong. You'd think that if most of the kids in the class were getting a similar answer, the teacher would realise something was wrong?????
One of the reasons I hated school.
Kryn

Skie_M

When I was at school about 50 years ago, we had a maths lesson, at the end it was handed in, and was marked wrong, did it again, still the same answer, again and again, always coming up with the same result. Had to do it for home work, still the same result, my mother worked it out and got the same answer, turns out the answer in the back of the book that teacher was working from was wrong. You'd think that if most of the kids in the class were getting a similar answer, the teacher would realise something was wrong?????
Kryn

That's pretty sad ... why couldn't the teacher work the problem out themselves and figure out that the textbook had a misprint?

Kryn

That's pretty sad ... why couldn't the teacher work the problem out themselves and figure out that the textbook had a misprint?

My math teach would have and he rarely worried about the final answer.. he always graded on the steps in the problem... his contention was if you got all the steps right, the answer was automatic. If you got all the steps right, you could get credit for the problem and only a small discredit for a wrong answer. We also took open book tests most of the time... he felt that it was more important that you learned the process... in real life, you will most often have reference materials to use.

I grew up and was in school when the tests were just coming into vogue... in those days they were called achievement tests and you didn't know about them until the day of the test.

Last edited:

TurtleTom

Kryn

My math teach would have and he rarely worried about the final answer.. he always graded on the steps in the problem... his contention was if you got all the steps right, the answer was automatic. If you got all the steps right, you could get credit for the problem and only a small discredit for a wrong answer. We also took open book tests most of the time... he felt that it was more important that you learned the process... in real life, you will most often have reference materials to use.

I grew up and was in school when the tests were just coming into vogue... in those days they were called achievement tests and you didn't know about them until the day of the test.

KB Pensmore you left out the best part. Who jacked up the school to end this nonsense?
TellicoTurning you were indeed lucky to have a teacher like that. After 2 years of college I learned that all college does is teach you where to find the information. Then I quit. Your own drive must furnish everything else.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Kryn

Teacher's texts come with errata sheets that usually correct misprints and incorrect answers found in the back of the text. If they missed one, typically some teacher would find it and they would send out another errata sheet. One year we had newly revised and issued texts in math and we ran into a problem that had the wrong answer in the text...our teacher (who was a math major in college) worked the problem and got the same answer we did and sent the correction to the text book publisher.

The basic problem is that most teachers have their major in education not the subject they are teaching. I have two daughters who majored in education and I saw their courses. Most Colleges that grant degrees in education require mostly what I thought of as "How to teach math (or any other subject) rather than courses in the subject. In short the teachers don't learn the subject themselves. And, a number of the states require that type of courses....if someone with a degree in a subject major like math wants to teach they have to take courses in "how to" to get certified. I have a daughter who's degree is in Poly Sci who wanted to teach...she had to take "how to" courses to get certified. It's a mess and will get worse think of this....the next generation of teachers will be coming from this generation of students.....

Top Bottom