Free Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Bob is all out of free blanks.

I was recently contacted by Bob Gibbs, of Garden Grove CA. He is a penmaker, and casts various things in clear epoxy. I don't believe that Bob is a member here, but I've encouraged him to join.

He sent me some blanks made with Sweet Gum seeds cast in amber, and asked me to get those out to you for comments. Bob doesn't sell blanks, he just enjoys casting unusual things and giving them away. These look petty interesting, but I don't have a photo of a finished pen. The blanks are 3.5" x 0.75" Bob says they have some voids. I believe he vacuum casts.

All Bob wants in return is a nice photo of the pens you make, and your comments on how you liked the blanks.

I will send the first three people to post in this thread three of these blanks. Then you can communicate directly with Bob and let him know your thoughts on these. He's also told me he'll send additional blanks to people who contact him by email.

Post here that you want them, then PM me your mailing address. The blanks are free and shipping is on me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• gibbs1.JPG
    gibbs1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,051
  • gibbs2.jpg
    gibbs2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
All gone! Thanks for the interest. Please show us the finished pens and let Bob know your opinion!

Sprung

That's a sweet looking blank! I'll be looking forward to hopefully seeing pics of some finished pens from them!

(And, as said above, you gotta be quick around here, lol!)

robutacion

I was recently contacted by Bob Gibbs, of Garden Grove CA. He is a penmaker, and casts various things in clear epoxy. I don't believe that Bob is a member here, but I've encouraged him to join.

He sent me some blanks made with Sweet Gum seeds cast in amber, and asked me to get those out to you for comments. Bob doesn't sell blanks, he just enjoys casting unusual things and giving them away. These look petty interesting, but I don't have a photo of a finished pen. The blanks are 3.5" x 0.75" Bob says they have some voids. I believe he vacuum casts.

All Bob wants in return is a nice photo of the pens you make, and your comments on how you liked the blanks.

I will send the first three people to post in this thread three of these blanks. Then you can communicate directly with Bob and let him know your thoughts on these. He's also told me he'll send additional blanks to people who contact him by email.

Post here that you want them, then PM me your mailing address. The blanks are free and shipping is on me.

I Jeff, thank you for allowing Bob's blanks to be known on IAP.

I don't know who this Bob is, and I would like to ask you if you can find out exactly what resin he is using, I would like to help him to resolve all those air bubbles seen in the sample blank on the pic.

My intention is to help him and nothing more however, not being an IAP member, I would prefer not to send him and email, until you talk to him about and let me know if this would be a good idea or better to back off, some people get quite offended when someone else gets involved so, you will be the judge of that, if you don't mind, off-course...!

Let me know...!

Cheers
George

SDB777

If he is ever in need of some more Sweetgum seed pods....I'll go rake him up a 30gal bag! Those things are deadly coming out from under a lawnmower!!!

Nice blank you have photo'd!

Scott (mention free, and they be quick) B

oregoncarver

Bob is a great guy. He used to write a one page article for Woodturning Design. I have several of his blanks.

Arthur

mmyshrall

They're here!!

Jeff,

I wanted to let you know that the blanks arrived and look better in person than your photo indicated. I have contacted Bob about them and will be posting photos when I have turned one. The wife claimed one when I opened up the box and is as excited as I am to turn one of these!

Thanks again for the assistance in getting them into our hands!

Michael

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

I Jeff, thank you for allowing Bob's blanks to be known on IAP.

I don't know who this Bob is, and I would like to ask you if you can find out exactly what resin he is using, I would like to help him to resolve all those air bubbles seen in the sample blank on the pic.

My intention is to help him and nothing more however, not being an IAP member, I would prefer not to send him and email, until you talk to him about and let me know if this would be a good idea or better to back off, some people get quite offended when someone else gets involved so, you will be the judge of that, if you don't mind, off-course...!

Let me know...!

Cheers
George

George

Please feel free to contact him. I let him know that I would be putting people directly in touch with him. I don't think he has any reason not to be an IAP member except that I don't believe he's familiar with the forum format and concept of threaded messages. He's fine with email.

He does spend a LOT of time making these blanks and the more we can let him know they're appreciated, the more he'll be motivated to produce. He does cast other things as well, but I don't think he may be familiar with the wide and wacky variety of the things our member cast.

stonepecker

but I don't think he may be familiar with the wide and wacky variety of the things our member cast.

Maybe an "Understatement of the Year Contest" for next year's Bash should be suggested... :biggrin:

Maybe we can make that a monthly contest and then next Bash post the top 10 and vote for the best understatement.
Only prize is a year long 1st place sign on your profile.
I would even throw in a bakers dozen of the daughter's brownies.....just to sweeten the pot.

stonepecker

I wrote to Bob last night and recieved a reply this morning.
Blanks are on the way and his comment were that these are for the more experienced turner. Whatever that means.
I really hope that he joins the IAP if he isn't a member. I believe he just might be in store for a surprize.

eajacobson

but I don't think he may be familiar with the wide and wacky variety of the things our member cast.

Maybe an "Understatement of the Year Contest" for next year's Bash should be suggested... :biggrin:

Maybe we can make that a monthly contest and then next Bash post the top 10 and vote for the best understatement.
Only prize is a year long 1st place sign on your profile.
I would even throw in a bakers dozen of the daughter's brownies.....just to sweeten the pot.

And, I can attest to the fact that those are real sweet brownies!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I just got an email from Bob. He's thrilled with the response so far. So if you have not yet contacted him to get some blanks to try, consider it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I just got an email from Bob. He's thrilled with the response so far. So if you have not yet contacted him to get some blanks to try, consider it.

It's not often that you get to make someone happy by asking them to give you something, so I did my part. :)

I've exchanged a couple of emails with Bob so far - nice to make new friends.

wob50

Yes I sent him a e-mail on getting some and this is a really nice guy ,this is his reply to me ((( Well--- you just made it in. There is 30 emails for 18 hrs time so far. WOW !! You guys really react quickly. Hope the pen is good to you also. MAN !! I've really have to get to work!!

BOB. Thanks. You guys excite me )))) To make them, pack them ,and ship them for FREE how much can a nice guy get .

Top Bottom