FP problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

Purchased a Parker silver fountain pen at Target for $7 the other day to see if I could learn to use one left handed before trying to make them.

Turns out I can and, though I have to write larger than normal, I like it. Here comes the problem. The top is a snap on and the little plastic insert with the friction sleeve broke. Now it doesn't snap on.

Thought of making a stand for the pen but don't think FPs are supposed to be stored nib down (gravity, fluids, that kind of thing). I'm afraid that leaving it without a top will be the death of the pen. Can't think how I could turn a snap fit for the top.

Any ideas??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjackman

I don't think it should be too much of a problem to keep the pen with the tip/nib down. The ink should be held in there pretty well, and unless it has hard shocks or the nib actually comes in contact with something in your storage funnel where the ink would actually wick out of it's supply. Most FP's work on a constant, if very slight vacum in the ink supply and "gulp" small bubbles of air occasionally to equalize.

vick

Is there a brand name on the nib? I know it sounds like a wierd question but if it is a schmidt nib I can probably send you a new part.

Dario

Mike,

Good gesture but wouldt sending him a new part be cost effective? Bill said it is only $7.00 wouldn't it be better to just replace the pen...and have some spare for later?

vick

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Mike,

Good gesture but wouldt sending him a new part be cost effective? Bill said it is only $7.00 wouldn't it be better to just replace the pen...and have some spare for later?

It is a really small part I doubt it would cost more than 35 cents or so to send it to him.

clewless

"Tip" did you look at your hand after you finished writing? Kinda blue wasn't it?
We lefties were never meant to use fountain pens...as a kid I went to parochial school and used FPs. Always had blue hand and too frequently blue shirt pocket blotch which scored big points for me with mom.[B)]
I plan to make some FPs but will not resume their use.

Joe(leftie) in MD

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by clewless
<br />"Tip" did you look at your hand after you finished writing? Kinda blue wasn't it?
We lefties were never meant to use fountain pens...as a kid I went to parochial school and used FPs. Always had blue hand and too frequently blue shirt pocket blotch which scored big points for me with mom.[B)]
I plan to make some FPs but will not resume their use.

Joe(leftie) in MD

Joe, that is the biggest lie in handwriting... I know more than my share of lefties using a fountain pen with no problems.. I also went to parochial school in the 50's and was taught with a fountain pen.. we had a fair share of lefties and non had problems when properly taught.
According to your thinking, no left handed person could learn to write properly before the invention of the ballpoint pen in the 50's.
There are plenty of teaching aid written for lefties today who want to use a fountain pen but were never taught to.
There were a couple of links posted to article for lefties in the last couple of months... do a search for them and enjoy writing with your fountain pen like thousands of lefties have done before you.

tipusnr

I use to have the blue hand problem when I was younger but don't now. Don't know what I've changed in my hand position since then but it was to my advantage. Thanks for the offer Vick - all the back of the nib says is medium point Germany. Go figure a German tip in a chinese casing.

I probably could take it back to Target if I can find the case. Trash day has come and gone and I don't store much.

As long as storing it nib down isn't an issue I think I'll just make a desk holder for it. Yes, I'm aware that to a lot of you $7 isn't much money but it's the most I've ever spent for a single pen (for myself)!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

TomServo

Bill: I've been a lefty all my life ;P and I started using FP shortly after I started making pens - I love them, far less strain on my hand than a BP or RB - no pressure required! (if you adjust the nib properly). I have noticed that for me (and other lefties) a broader point help with FP since we push the pen more than pull it (scratchiness). Medium points usually work good, though sometimes you need to bend the metal nib back from the plastic feed just a tiny bit (helps wick more ink). Broad tips work even better but a lot of people don't like the big lines.

Storing the pen nib down is actually ideal - always keeps the nib wet and the air bubbles where they belong. Just make sure it's a reasonably tight fit so it doesn't dry out between uses and that nothing is touching the metal nib or the plastic fins (if they are visible on your pen). I reccomend a bottle of good ink and a converter if your pen will take it. I personally like the Noodler's inks - one man operation, and the only truly permanent black ink for FP. Kind of reminds me of us penmakers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom