FP Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodwish

I have a good friend who is retiring next month. He recently told me how much he loves fountain pens, but hasn't used one in years. Thought for retirement gift I would make him one, but I have never made a FP before. I made plenty of others and I consider myself fairly skilled at turning and average in penmaking skills. Anyd advice on what pen kit to make as a first FP? I get questions about them occasionally but for some reason have always shyed away from them. Tom or others, any advice to get started on this project, CSUSA and others have several choices-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

If you are making it a gift, go with a good quality kit. I like the baron myself. The fountian pen kits are no different from the ballpoint from a kit standpoint. it is just the tip that is different.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ray,

The Baron is always a good choice. My personal favorite writer is an El Grande with a fine nib. I got the kit and extra nib from Ernie at http://beartoothwoods.com

For people with bigger hands, the Gentleman kit or the Emperor kit (that is if you REALLY like him) as well as the Statesman kit are all nice.

FWIW,

JimGo

The Baron is a very nice kit, as is the Jr. Statesman. Emperor is kinda heavy, as is the Statesman, but the Gent might be a good choice for bigger hands, too.

TomServo

The flat top american pens are nice FP also - as are the euro style.. so far all the comments have been "big pens are great for big hands" so I thought I'l chip in for us little guys :) I wish someone made a smaller FP than these styles.. much less the baron, el grande, emperor.. also, consider how heavy of a pen he would like. My dad refuses any pen I've tried to make him because he prefers his ultra-lightweight rollerball pens. (Red is his favorite color for signing big contracts)

driften

Originally posted by TomServo
<br />The flat top american pens are nice FP also - as are the euro style.. so far all the comments have been "big pens are great for big hands" so I thought I'l chip in for us little guys :) I wish someone made a smaller FP than these styles.. much less the baron, el grande, emperor.. also, consider how heavy of a pen he would like. My dad refuses any pen I've tried to make him because he prefers his ultra-lightweight rollerball pens. (Red is his favorite color for signing big contracts)

Well you could make a lightweight version of the Baron by going acrlic and tubeless. There are some design limits since the pen must be able to handle the cartridge/converter. Unless you want to go to an eye dropper design.... Fountain pens do not have to be heavy or big.

You just have to think outside of the kit.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by TomServo
<br />The flat top american pens are nice FP also - as are the euro style.. so far all the comments have been "big pens are great for big hands" so I thought I'l chip in for us little guys :) I wish someone made a smaller FP than these styles.. much less the baron, el grande, emperor.. also, consider how heavy of a pen he would like. My dad refuses any pen I've tried to make him because he prefers his ultra-lightweight rollerball pens. (Red is his favorite color for signing big contracts)

PSI makes the Capri fountain pen kit, it is small and nice looking. But, as we discussed here recently, PSI does not disclose what kind of plating is put on their pen kits. I shy away from the pig-in-poke approach to buying something that is supposed to last many years. See: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11505&SearchTerms=capri

Randy_

For the time being, stay away from the Jr Gent II and Jr Statesman II kits. They have threading problems that are being corrected; but the fix won't be available for another month or so if we are to believe the scuttlebut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom