Fountain pens:Cartridge Refill v.s. Reservoir Pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ric

Good Day everyone. I have a question that has been bothering me for the past 10 minutes, maybe more...can't remember I'm so forgetful...oh ya..the question...ummm.
I have noticed that it seems that a lot of the higher end fountain pens use the reservoir system instead of the cart/refill. Is this a newer trend that is associated with the higher price point. I know that a lot of pens, regardless of price point, can be adapted to accept either.
I'm assuming that at present it is just personal preference......however...Is this the "shape of things to come" ?
Something for me to consider when I order more pen supplies, as I order a lot of my fountain pens in kit form.
Let me know would ya's.......
A very merry Christmas to everyone. May peace find you at this time of year. thanks....Ric.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Actually in the grand scheme of the pen world, the cartridge/convertor (C/C)is the latest trend. The various filling systems have been used dating back to before 1900.

I think ther is a certain prestige attached to a built in filling system. Main collectors dislike the C/C, much the same as they dislike IPG nibs.

I think the main reasons for there use though is more practicle.

1. By using a resevoir you are not restricted to to a certain pen size or shape. The C/C is a sandard size, and requires certain minimum measurements.

2. Most resevoir filling systems, have a much higher ink capacity than a cartridge. The capacity is only limited by the size of the barrel. For avid fountain pen users, this can be a huge selling feature.

Just my two-cents. I would be interested in other thoughts.

AWLogue

An advantage of C/C pens is that most can readily be converted into eyedropper pens that have huge capacities, beyond the majority of other fill systems.

As I've been getting into making custom pens, I've been doing some looking at fill systems. Piston filler, eyedropper, and bulb filler appear to be the most prominent among custom makers.

TonyL

I use both, I haven't found a piston to fit into a Jr. George, Aaron , Antony . I use cartridges with those but Pistons with all others because I like playing around with different ink.

Top Bottom