Found this wood pile on vacation. what is it???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

truckerdave

I spent a week in Old Forge, NY in The Adirondack State park. Next to our cabin was this wood pile.

I took a small (10" in diameter, maybe 12" long) log of what I know is birch and a log of this beautiful red colored wood.

My question is:
What is the red colored wood?

It doesn't smell like oak and the bark is more ?shaggy? than oak.
I thought it might be cherry but it is a very bright, vivid red and I think way too thick of a trunk to be cherry.
Any ideas???

Attachments

• IMG_20110828_113543.jpg
    IMG_20110828_113543.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20110828_113531.jpg
    IMG_20110828_113531.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I spent a week in Old Forge, NY in The Adirondack State park. Next to our cabin was this wood pile.

I took a small (10" in diameter, maybe 12" long) log of what I know is birch and a log of this beautiful red colored wood.

My question is:
What is the red colored wood?

It doesn't smell like oak and the bark is more ?shaggy? than oak.
I thought it might be cherry but it is a very bright, vivid red and I think way too thick of a trunk to be cherry.
Any ideas???

Looks like cherry.

truckerdave

My fiance has been going to that cabin for 25 years and never remembers seeing any fruit on or around that tree. (It was cut down as it fell on the fence this year. So it is still wet.)

low_48

Make a fresh cut or split one of the pieces and let us see that. Many woods will oxidize to that red color after the sun hits it.

Chris Bar

Having similar bark and the red coloration on the end, it looks like a piece of log I found on a roadcut in the mountains near here, that was either a common balsam or hemlock. The red color made me think it was otherwise and prompted me to bring the piece home.

Last edited:

srf1114

2nd the Bradford Pear idea.

On side note we vacation in Old Forge, NY every year. Wife's aunt and uncle got a cabin on White Lake, just down rt28 form Old Forge.

Top Bottom