Found treasure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Doing some research, I found that there is a saw mill very close by, that I never knew was there.
We made the short trip this morning, and I was pleasantly surprised at the selection of wood.
They specialize in domestic and exotic hardwoods in widths up to 24" and any length up to about 20'. It's all 4/4 and 8/4 with some in much thicker dimensions. They had several live edge pieces in various species, and stuff with curl, birds eye, burls, and spalted. They machine moldings and can make any custom shape, along with milling any piece to any dimension to meet someone's requirements.

I picked up five pieces of spalted Maple and Cherry. The one piece is 4/4 12"x8' and they almost paid me to take it.
I also got a 4/4 6"x12' curly Maple board. This stuff is almost being given away.
I most definitely will be visiting again. A LOT of pen making blanks in the place.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
John, you're just TEASING us !!!!

I will try to get some photos before I start cutting.
There was one beautiful piece of Birds eye Maple. It was 8/4 24"x10' and loaded with eyes. I didn't ask the price, but it would make an awesome table top. I don't think I would have been able to lift it though.

They have two slabs of Walnut 8/4 live edge. They are about 28" at the widest section and about 6' long. Those would be great for tables as well.

I've never seen Purpleheart in 8/4. They have it, and in widths up to 12" and lengths up to around 14'.

They have Cherry with the sap pockets. That would make good casting material, as it had some incredible patterns.

They have cut-off bins for the pieces that are too short for their normal stock, in all of the species they carry.
I signed up for their email specials. We will see what kind of deals that might reveal.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Rather suspect most small sawmills of any kind have pieces that are valueless to their basic operation and end up being burned or buried . Probably just a matter of visiting them , showing what you can do with their scraps , and leaving a piece or two .

Dale Parrott

Thanks for the info John. I have been to Wible's before but it might be time for another visit (Like i have room in my shop for more wood).
Dale
Goshen, in

Terredax

Banned
Thanks for the info John. I have been to Wible's before but it might be time for another visit (Like i have room in my shop for more wood).
Dale
Goshen, in

You're welcome, Dale.
I was surprised at their selection.

If you're in Goshen, you should be within an hour of them.
Since we were close, we made the trip to Shipshewana for lunch.:wink:

Terredax

Banned
I was just curious if anyone has made it to Wibble's?

I'm going to make another visit to gather some figured wood for a table for a request.
In addition, I will also be making a river table, which will include some river rocks, and seven translucent layers to get a blend of color through the depth. It will also have a waterfall over the end. Dimensions are 60"x120"x2.5". It's just a small table.:wink:

Top Bottom