Found my new happy place

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Houston is a big city, but surprisingly few options for hardwood lumber, and only a couple for exotics (aside from Rockler and Woodcraft). Houston Hardwoods on the NW side of town has a nice selection of short boards and some turning blanks. I'm just starting out, so picked up some of the basics: Padouk, Purpleheart, Jatoba, and Bloodwood and a small Cocobolo turning blank. All boards 3/4" and 2.5 ft long. Total was $44, how did I do?

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Houston is a big city, but surprisingly few options for hardwood lumber, and only a couple for exotics (aside from Rockler and Woodcraft). Houston Hardwoods on the NW side of town has a nice selection of short boards and some turning blanks. I'm just starting out, so picked up some of the basics: Padouk, Purpleheart, Jatoba, and Bloodwood and a small Cocobolo turning blank. All boards 3/4" and 2.5 ft long. Total was $44, how did I do?

Without comparing prices, I'd say very well! Unfortunately, not enough folks go for the basic materials and cut their own blanks. As I am getting more experienced with segmenting, I am buying wood veneers in 3' sections and cutting them down. Buying the stock 3'packets is much more expensive.

Good for you!

For additional resources, I like this source: http://www.dndhardwoodsonline.com/

Have Fun!

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Thanks Mark, where do you get your veneers? Ive been looking at that too. I'm an efficiency nut, so it's painful for me to pay 10x board foot prices for pen blanks. I'm going to try to hone my skills with this stuff before I get into the burls and really pricey stuff.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Top Bottom