Food Grade Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

JP -- None of them are good to eat -- have had a few splashes, and they are always ich!!!!!

Now if the question is which ones are risk free for food handling and such -- bowl finishes for example -- there is a wide range of opinions

Many experts say that if you cannot smell the solvents, any of the coating we have today will be safe. And as always, there are a wide range of perspectives about whether that is correct.

There are a few finishes that have been tested - but not many because the manufacturer has to foot the substantial bill for testing. General Salad Bowl Finish is one.

liljohn1368

Thanks Ken. I'll bet they would leave a bad taste in your mouth..:eek: I've had a request for a rolling pin. Was just wondering what I might need to finish it with??

KenV

I like Mahoney or Doctors Workshop walnut oil for wood "treen" for the kitchen.

Doctor Workshop sells a walnut oil wax combination that I have had good success with for giving a better looking surface - and easy to apply.

There are a lot of rolling pins sold that have no finish on them --

If you're using walnut oil, I've bought just plain walnut oil at a good grocery...it's an edible oil, used in cooking and will dry... I got mine at Kroger's...

a lot of turners use mineral oil too... it never dries and will need to be replenished occasionally.

liljohn1368

I use Watco "butcher block". Seems to work very well, some woods it turns darker than shelawax or urathane

Thanks for the info jercraft. I'll check them out.

I like Mahoney or Doctors Workshop walnut oil for wood "treen" for the kitchen.

Doctor Workshop sells a walnut oil wax combination that I have had good success with for giving a better looking surface - and easy to apply.

There are a lot of rolling pins sold that have no finish on them --

Thanks Kevin. I never thought of not finishing it. I'll see once what it looks like after I get it turned.

liljohn1368

If you're using walnut oil, I've bought just plain walnut oil at a good grocery...it's an edible oil, used in cooking and will dry... I got mine at Kroger's...

a lot of turners use mineral oil too... it never dries and will need to be replenished occasionally.

Thanks chuck. I guess what I need to do is turn a scrap piece and try a few different types to see which one i like best.

chartle

On other issue you don't want anything that will fill the grain.

Flour needs to be able to stick to the pin that's why i think no finish via best.

monophoto

There are two extreme positions here:

1. All finishes are safe after they have fully cured.

2. The question is not whether the finish is 'food safe', but rather whether it is a 'safe food'. Remember that ultimately, safety is a personal issue, and every one potentially is different. For example, while a walnut oil and beeswax finish might be thought to be 'food safe', it's not at all safe for someone who is allergic to tree nuts, or so someone who is allergic to the pollen gathered by the bees who made the wax.

So in my opinion, the best approach for ME to take is not not claim that the finish that I use is safe, but rather to tell whoever is getting the piece what kind of finish I used, and let that person decide if it is safe from them.

Top Bottom