Flipbooks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to tell you about a fun new feature we're going to try out. One of our newer members is [profile=Fireengines]Larry Lorrance (Fireengines)[/profile]. Larry is not a pen maker, but is a pen collector and enthusiast. As you might be able to guess from his username, he also has another interest, and runs a web site for people who collect models of fire apparatus.

At his site, Larry make "Flipbooks" for his members to display their work. These are files powered by Adobe Flash that can be used to display text, images, video, etc., in catalog form. Viewers can "flip" through the pages much like they would a magazine. Sort of like a PDF on steroids.

Anyone can make these things with the right software. Larry owns one of those software packages and for no other reason than he loves pens and helping people show them off, he has offered to make some Flipbooks for our members as well.

I've offered to host these for our members on our library server, and to test the whole process of how this would look and work, I asked [profile=Wizard]Doc (Wizard)[/profile] if he'd work with Larry to create a demo. I asked Doc because he makes beautiful pens and takes wonderful photos and those are key ingredients.

Here is what Larry produced for Doc. Have a look and see what you think. Larry is ready to take on a few more of these, and he has worked out a few guidelines to make things smooth for you and him. These may change as the activity progresses, but they should do for now.

• This is open to IAP active members only. Preference will be given to those members who actively participate in forum discussions and who do no already have a personal website to display their craft
  • One book per member
  • There is a limit of 40 pages, not including the front and back cover. There must be an even number of pages between the covers (example 14, 16, 30 etc.)
  • It is highly recommended that members submit their work using Microsoft Word or Publisher. This way you have complete control over how your book will be displayed and it greatly decreases the time Larry needs to publish your work
  • If you can't submit your work in the above format, Larry will work with you on the design of your book
  • If you have any questions about this, please email Larry direct at flipbookquestions@fireengines.net
  • Remember, this can be a time consuming process and Larry will work to complete your book as soon as possible and as time permits
Please PM Larry directly to get started or to just learn more.

Although Larry isn't charging for his time, this does take time and you might consider sending him a pen if you appreciate what he does for you.

MarkD

That is really cool! Great concept and great pictures. That would great to have running on a iPad at shows.

IPD_Mr

Larry is a really nice guy with an eye for flair. (just take a look at his boots) :biggrin:

This is an awesome addition that adds a lot of class to the site. Jeff, Doc was a great choice for putting together the demo. I am really happy to see this put in place.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I LIKE this. Sometimes it's easy to forget how nice a guys pens are, until you see them all together :redface: Beautiful pens and book Doc! Thanks Jeff!

Fireengines

Thank your for the comments! Doc did a great job on the pens and photography and was great to work with creating this book.

I wished it worked with the IPad but since Apple and Adobe can not get it together it won't happen.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

Larry

wizard

HELLO PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UHHHH..HMMMM....YO! ..MY PEEPS....I think you might want pay a little more attention to this thread. There is a very special member Larry Lorance (Fireengines) who is offering to do something extremely cool for us by making awesome Flipbooks of our work. And he's doing it for free because he likes us. He already did mine and, despite my usually modesty. it is AWESOME.!!!! The link is in Jeff's post. Check it out please! Doc:)

Andrew_K99

I agree that this is very cool Doc. But I personally don't see a use for it. No offence Larry.

Will I ever go to this section and browse the flip books? Doubtful. I'll browse SOYP's before doing that.

[strike]As it is for memebers you can't share it with family or friends.[/strike]

I do agree it would be great for shows (if you have internet access to be able to show it) as it would allow customers to browse your catalog.

Maybe just me but I don't see the need :confused:

Last edited:

seamus7227

I want it! I want it!!!! That would make my pens look even better! I really like the up close view it gives you and feeling of comfort as you are "flippin" thru the pages. Fantastic work Larry! You have my support on this

Andrew..... this isnt just for display on here(IAP) if i understand this correctly. It can be used on your website as well!

Last edited:

wizard

I agree that this is very cool Doc. But I personally don't see a use for it. No offence Larry.

Will I ever go to this section and browse the flip books? Doubtful. I'll browse SOYP's before doing that.

As it is for memebers you can't share it with family or friends.

I do agree it would be great for shows (if you have internet access to be able to show it) as it would allow customers to browse your catalog.

Maybe just me but I don't see the need :confused:

Andrew,
I think you can share it with family or friends...I don't think you have to be a member to view the flipbooks...I may be wrong..but I've tried the link on it's own and it works without a log in. Doc

maxman400

This is a great Idea, I have a notebook that my wife just bought for me and my son down loaded an app that is close to this. My intended purpose was to show off my work at the show I do every Saturday, my problem is that the notebook keeps going to sleep on me. But Doc's book looks fantastic.

IPD_Mr

If I am looking for a specific pen that I know Doc did, it would be easier to do a quick look through his flipbook. If I need an idea for a state pen I can look at Seamus' flipbook. If I want a good laugh I can go through my own flipbook.

To just browse maybe the SYOP or the members photo albums would be easier, but people are going to put their best work and photos in the flip book. That alone will make the flipbook a better use for me. Yes there are some who only show great work like Doc and Justin so any photo they show is fine. But you could care less about some of my earliest work and I would just as soon not show it, so any of those photos that are areound are a waste of time and hard drive space. :eek:

seamus7227

Mike you couldnt have said it better! I feel the same way about my early work and some work even to this day:rolleyes:. What a great way to show off those prized pieces of work though!

And i like the idea of showing off my coin pens that way too! Saweeeeeeeet!

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

If I am looking for a specific pen that I know Doc did, it would be easier to do a quick look through his flipbook. If I need an idea for a state pen I can look at Seamus' flipbook. If I want a good laugh I can go through my own flipbook.

First, this would assume you know who's to search for a certain type of pen. Also as they're (presumably) not searchable it would be much faster to search for a Texas Quater via the forum than a flipbook.

Please note I do quite like them, they are indeed very cool!

Last edited:

wizard

First, this would assume you know who's to search for a certain type of pen. Also as they're (presumably) not searchable it would be much faster to search for a Texas Quater via the forum than a flipbook.

Please note I go quite like them, they are indeed very cool!

Andrew, I've seen a search feature and an index (Table of Contents) as well as ability to do bookmarks. Andrew...please keep an open mind and look at or ask about the features rather than just making statements like the above...please. Doc

Andrew_K99

Doc, I'm not trying to be the bad guy here, just giving my honest opinion.

As they are flash, all the information put into the file would have to be indexed somewhere to be searchable via the forum. I'd imagie they are searchable if you have one open but it is highly unlikey that vBulletin will ever be able to search these indexes.

As I said, for use at shows (and showing family friends) I think they would be great. As they pertain to the forum I don't see their use.

I'll go now, as I seeem to be only one.

Jim Burr

Banned
I love this idea!!! Beautiful setup Larry, big high 5!!! DOc, as always...super pens! If I ever learn how to take a picture...I'm in!
Larry, how easy/hard is it to change pictures or to update the "book"?

Fireengines

It is very easy to remove and add a photo to the book. You send me the photo and I can add / remove / replace it. Remember, you must maintain a even number of pages. It you have an odd number, say 39 pages in your book, the last page will be blank.

It takes about as long as making a vent change or giving a breathing treatment.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
It is very easy to remove and add a photo to the book. You send me the photo and I can add / remove / replace it. Remember, you must maintain a even number of pages. It you have an odd number, say 39 pages in your book, the last page will be blank.

It takes about as long as making a vent change or giving a breathing treatment.

Ha!! I do a tx in 5 minutes with a Aero Eclipse...vent change on our GE's in 10 seconds:biggrin:. It's the charting that kills me:eek:! We finally have electronic charting and it's clumsier than a drunk elephant on Saturday morning:mad::curse:! Guess I should get serious about pictures:redface:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
When I looked, the zoom in feature worked, but I couldn't zoom back out. Option was faded out when I got to that menu.

ctubbs

Thank you Larry for your very generous donation of your talents and time. I do fear you may have opened Pandora's favorite keepsake box, though. What you are offering is just so cool and we have so many great turners, I fear you may have to go full time on the books and even hire a full time staff.:eek::) Jeff, thank you for making this offer available to the membership. And not to be forgotten, Doc, your work is as usual, outstanding. thank you for putting your work out here so the rest of us sluggers have this to know it is attainable.

Great idea and it will be very much appreciated by many here. Thank you to all involved.
Charles

Pete275

Really cool idea Larry. Thanks for sharing this with IAP. I hope to someday have my own flipbook however I must first get my penturning skill level up a bit and learn to take the pictures. Doc as usual your work is absolutely stunning!

Wayne

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Doc, I'm not trying to be the bad guy here, just giving my honest opinion.

As they are flash, all the information put into the file would have to be indexed somewhere to be searchable via the forum. I'd imagie they are searchable if you have one open but it is highly unlikey that vBulletin will ever be able to search these indexes.

As I said, for use at shows (and showing family friends) I think they would be great. As they pertain to the forum I don't see their use.

I'll go now, as I seeem to be only one.

Flipbooks do have metadata capabilities, so keywords etc. could be added. I don't know if search engines are indexing those fields as they do with PDFs. We'll add these to an index and put some keywords in the index posts to allow indexing.

Fireengines

This software has:
Build-in Google Analytics integrate support
SEO friendly, all texts from PDF documents can be indexed by search engines after conversion to Flash flip book

In fact, Google has already picked it up. Do a search for "Shreenath Doctor, M.D., Ph.D."

Last edited:
Top Bottom