FLGAPG Schedule

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ladycop322

This is a rough draft of the schedule. I am open to suggestions, if you have any. There is only one room at the Woodcraft location so space is limited between demos and vendors, but if there is a will, there is a way.

I will be visiting the Woodcraft store tomorrow to get a 'feel' for the setup and available space.

So far, 35 turners will be attending! We now have five vendors as well.

Here is the itinerary for the gathering...it is not set in stone, and if anyone wants to request anything different, I'm open to suggestions.

Saturday, February 27, 2016
0900 Doors Open
0900-1000 Show off pens/ introductions/ etc
1000-1100 Jonathan Brooks Demo (Fountain Pen Maintenance and Care)
1100-1115 Break
1115-1215 Jim Swank Demo (Casting Stamps)
1215-1330 Lunch
1330-1400 Open Free Time
1400-1500 Michelle Ferrara Demo (Watch Parts Blanks)
1500-1700 Open Free Time Shop at Woodcraft

Sunday, February 28, 2016
0900 Doors Open
0930-1030 Jonathan Brooks Demo (Kitless Pens)
1045-1145 Jim Swank Demo (Bottle Cap Casting)
1145-1200 Open Free Time Shop at Woodcraft
1200-1315 Lunch (maybe pizza delivered)
1315-1415 Demo Jon David Jones decals and labels
1415-1600 Open Shop at Woodcraft / Close down Clean up

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks like a nice set of demos.

And still consider if you want to have a contest to donate a pen to the IAP Collection. NOT a requirement - It will still be there and displayed, just an option.

Just made my reservations! :)

ladycop322

The itinerary listed in this thread was changed earlier, however, the person who was going to demo in my place remembered he would be out of state, soooooo, the way it looks is the way it is going to take place!

If anyone would like to bring a pen to possibly be included in the IAP collection, please do so, however, you would need to give it up for good if your pen is chosen. Mark James will be at the gathering with the IAP display for all to see.

There will also be a pen swap for those that attend. Please make sure to make a mental note to bring one!

For all the creators of blanks, please bring a blank of your choice, (one you have made), for a BITH! Blank In The Hat... this will be fun as you never know what you will get!

Most of us will arrive on Friday evening. If you want to get together, I will be announcing a place in a couple of weeks where we all can meet.

I can't wait to see all of you there. So many familiar names from this forum...and I cannot wait to meet each of you!

Michelle

pianomanpj

Can't wait! I can finally say that I'm leaving for Florida this month! :biggrin: I'm so ready for this gathering... and trying some authentic Cuban cuisine. :rolleyes:

ladycop322

FLGAPG UPDATE

So, 16 more days and we will all be occupying one BIG room together! I cannot wait! I'm going to try to make it as FUN as possible!! REMEMBER to bring a pen along for the pen swap!

Just FYI, I cannot locate a projector for all of you to be able to see the demos, so be patient as the demonstrators explain their methods.

I will have bottled water for all and hopefully we can use the popcorn machine that Woodcraft displays.

Please PM me if you have any ideas or requests and I will do my best to oblige.

Thanks and have a blessed day!

campzeke

Looking forward to a great weekend and getting to meet and greet everyone! There is a Family Dollar store in the same parking lot as Woodcraft where we can buy drinks, chips, snacks, etc. if anyone wants to. Plenty of restaurants in the area as well. See you there!

ladycop322

For those of you who are arriving on Friday, I would like to get a headcount and maybe we all meet for dinner?? Early get-together? Please PM me here and next week I will name the place and time :)

Michelle

pianomanpj

For those of you who are arriving on Friday, I would like to get a headcount and maybe we all meet for dinner?? Early get-together? Please PM me here and next week I will name the place and time :)

Michelle

I think Jonathon and I will be arriving on Friday, just not sure of the time. I'm definitely game for any dining experience, but I certainly would like to try the favorite local flavors. And of course I'd like to try some authentic Cuban cuisine - don't get much of that in Maine!

ladycop322

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

12 days to go, but who's counting? LOL. I'm so excited! I will be calling Columbia Restaurant to make reservations for Friday night for those of you that wish to join the members arriving on Friday evening.

Here is the information on the restaurant. Wonderful food, reasonably priced and on the gulf! They have a beautiful deck where we can eat, drink, and enjoy the time with others and the view!

Please PM me your RSVP and number in your party. You have until Monday, 2/22/2016, to RSVP. Thanks to all!

Did I say 12 more days?

Columbia Restaurant
1241 Gulf Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33767
http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Locat…/…/Sand-Key

pianomanpj

About what time were you planning on going to dinner?

12 days to go, but who's counting? LOL. I'm so excited! I will be calling Columbia Restaurant to make reservations for Friday night for those of you that wish to join the members arriving on Friday evening.

Here is the information on the restaurant. Wonderful food, reasonably priced and on the gulf! They have a beautiful deck where we can eat, drink, and enjoy the time with others and the view!

Please PM me your RSVP and number in your party. You have until Monday, 2/22/2016, to RSVP. Thanks to all!

Did I say 12 more days?

Columbia Restaurant
1241 Gulf Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33767
http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Locat…/…/Sand-Key

ladycop322

I'm getting anxious!

So, a week from now, there will be about 35-40 penturners in one room, watching demonstrations, buying items from vendors, shopping in the Woodcraft Store, making new friends, winning door prizes, eating pizza (compliments of Jon David Jones), etc.

I can't wait to meet each one of you! I can't sit still!

AAGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :biggrin::eek:

OKLAHOMAN

Michelle, I have all the merchandise packed and will be shipped out on Monday, wish I could be there but Jon will be a great stand-in for Dee and I.

ladycop322

Reservations being made tomorrow for Columbia Restaurant. Please advise if you are joining those of us who have already RSVP'd. Just PM me...or you can advise on this thread.

So far, eleven will be attending dinner.

Michelle

pianomanpj

Reservations being made tomorrow for Columbia Restaurant. Please advise if you are joining those of us who have already RSVP'd. Just PM me...or you can advise on this thread.

So far, eleven will be attending dinner.

Michelle

I've looked over their menu several times... I may have to go back on Saturday just to try other things! :biggrin:

ladycop322

Dinner Time Change

Dinner at Columbia is at 8:30 friday night not 7:30 they could not fit it in....pls advise if you will still be attending..thank you!

GaryMGg

Our team has been put on call this weekend and informed we need to be in town and available.
Which means I won't be able to attend.
I was looking forward to meeting new friends.

flyitfast

hope to find something like this in Texas!

Have you heard about the SWAT (Southwest Assoc of Turners) that meet just up the road from you in Waco? It is held during August at the Waco Convention Center.
Although it is a Symposium for Woodturners they have several demos for pen turning. There are also several vendors "willing" to take your money for pen supplies - blanks, wood, kits, and other turning accessories. :biggrin:

Any questions let me know. Attending is a goal I have every year.
Gordon

suefox51

Pen Blanks for the asking

I will be bringing 4 boxes of pen blanks that I am not going to use - they will be available for the asking!
I am also bring a slab of Japanese Elm - turns out I'm allergic to it - I paid $30.00 for it - will let it go for $20.00. It is a real beauty!

Looking forward to meeting all.

Sue

walshjp17

Have you heard about the SWAT (Southwest Assoc of Turners) that meet just up the road from you in Waco? It is held during August at the Waco Convention Center.
Although it is a Symposium for Woodturners they have several demos for pen turning. There are also several vendors "willing" to take your money for pen supplies - blanks, wood, kits, and other turning accessories. :biggrin:

Gordon

And if I am not mistaken, Don Ward (its_virgil here on IAP) is (or at least was) one of the organizers of SWAT. If a pen guy is working on it, you can be sure there will be pen stuff talked about.:wink:

ladycop322

Set UP

For those vendors and demonstrators, please arrive at Woodcraft on Saturday morning at 0800 to set up your tables. The only demonstrator that should be present at 0800 is Jonathon Brooks who is demo'ing at 1000 hours. Jonathon Brooks if you can get set up when it begins at 0900, then you don't need to show at 0800.

I will try to post the names of the attendees that have pre-registered later today. No promises, I am very busy catching the bad guys and once I get home, I have a car to pack for the event. I will do my best :)

Woodcraft Clearwater Address:
2864 Roosevelt Blvd.
Clearwater, FL 33760
(Behind the Family Dollar)
727-532-6888

Whitehat1994

Gordon

I do believe I ran across SWAT a couple of years ago when I got addicted to turning pens. I had forgotten about it.
There is Rick from Belton who attempts to get pen turners together at his house in Belton. He tried Woodcraft as a host this year but they have classes on weekends so there is no meeting place available with them.

I'll have to look into that SWAT.

I think I ran across a turning group that meets somewhere in Waco Tx.

flyitfast

Gordon

I do believe I ran across SWAT a couple of years ago when I got addicted to turning pens. I had forgotten about it.
There is Rick from Belton who attempts to get pen turners together at his house in Belton. He tried Woodcraft as a host this year but they have classes on weekends so there is no meeting place available with them.

I'll have to look into that SWAT.

I think I ran across a turning group that meets somewhere in Waco Tx.

Hi Richard,
The dates for SWAT this year are Aug 26-28. I believe the online registration opens Mar 15. This year is the 25th anniversary of the Symposium so they are expecting a larger than normal attendance. Last year there were about 900 attendees. I hear they have some really good demonstrators this year.

With several pen turners in your area (Belton, Temple, Waco) maybe you all would like to create an IAP Chapter or maybe just meet more frequently under the present Central Texas Chapter? I have tried to visit when Rick held his get togethers, but have had something conflicting. I'd still like to visit other pen turning meetings in the future. I am a member of the Alamo Penturners Chapter here in San Antonio.

Good luck and hope to see you at SWAT.
Gordon

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Maybe USPS Will Hire Me!!!

Whew! 1/2 way there... Through Rain, sleet, snow, inexperienced drivers... The IAP Collection is safely in Columbia, SC after a 10 hr slug.

No issues, I left early, drove safely, and after moonlighting as a snowplow truck driver for 15 years am slowly munching on a Subway - and looking forward to some "Columbian" fare with some conversation and Herradura :).

Oh, I have 8 IAP T-Shirts - for the door prizes, compliments from Jeff. And a PITH fresh off the lathe this AM :)

Top Bottom