Flat screen TV's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I used to be fairly into electronics and such but I have become lost over tha last few years. Wow, that means I'm getting old. Anyway, the mrs and I are going to get a new TV for x-mas. We are thinking a flat screen to hang on the wall. But I don't know to go plasma, LCD, or what..? What is important is viewing angle, picture quality, sound quality, and price. It would be nice to have built in HD receiver.
Any suggestions or advice here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I hear you Kevin, use to think I was a stereophile nut years ago. [:D] I had two rear projection TV's go down on me in the last couple months, I tried to shop for a tv a couple of times but was a little overwhelming. Especially since both of these were large build in's and they don't make 4:3 picture ratio no more. I was so bummed I went and bought a new metal lathe, that made me feel better [:p]

Oh, I stuck an old 27" in the big gapping hole. [:D]

Maybe I'll run into you at Best Buy, or Showcase HT,

Doghouse

I went with DLP. You cannot hang it on the wall, but you don't run into as many problems as plasma. If it is a must to hang on the wall, I would go with LCD. The technology works and lasts much longer than plasma.

As for the receiver, I would go external. That way as technology changes, you will be able to upgrade that component, and not the whole thing.

Give up on sound quality with it. That should be handled by your sound system, look at the viewing angle, and picture quality. Another important point is the blk to wht ratio. How much contrast is developed.

Hope that helps.

Tangboy5000

Hey Kevin,
Plasma blows away LCD as far as brightness, contrast and black levels are concerned. The biggest drawback, and it is a big one, they are good for a max of 3 to 5 years. The TV will slowly lose brightness over time until it is totally unwatchable and there is nothing you can do to fix it. With an LCD you can just replace the bulb that backlights it. Of course that bulb costs between $250 and $400 to replace. If you really, really, really want to hang it on the wall then go with LCD. If you don't mind a floor model then DLP is what you want, it has almost no negatives. Plasma is brighter, but only for awhile. Blacks are better on DLP. You can get a bigger screen for less money. They are fairly skinny now and weigh next to nothing. The bulbs are replacable. If you go DLP get SAMSUNG. They are the leaders in this technology. Everyone else is on their first or second generation chip, SAMSUNG is on their sixth. They have fixed all known problems with DLP, like the rainbow effect that salesman still talk about to try and get you to buy plasma. Let me know if you have any other HD questions.

darbytee

I went with the DLP after a lot of research. I found that the LCDs would pixellate during sports or any scenes with alot of quick movement and the plasmas were just overpriced for what you get. I'm also not usually a fan of extended warranties but I bought one with the DLP since they cover in home service and the replacement of the bulbs for 4 years. Good luck with it.

Tangboy5000

The short version is Digital Light Processor. The extended version: Technology developed by Texas Instruments that is based on a digital micromirror device (a chip with millions of microscopic, hinged mirrors). Red, green and blue light is filtered through a color wheel and directed alternately onto the DMD, which switches on and off up to 5,000 times a second. The reflected light is directed through a lens and onto a screen, creating the image. High end HDTV projectors use three DMDs and forgo the color wheel--each DMD corresponds to a separate color (red, green and blue).

JimGo

I recently purchased a Samsung DLP and am very pleased with it. We have DirecTV's HD service, and the images are phenominal, although the true HD broadcasts are pretty limited.

BTW, if you buy from Circuit City, their extended warranty, which costs something like $200, will cover the bulbs. I figure I'll probably go through at least one, and possibly two bulbs, so it was worthwhile (I don't usually buy 'em, but in this case...)

dubdrvrkev

Well it doesn't have to be hung on the wall. I just would be nice. Some of the DLP's are on pretty sleek stand though. I suppose I'll have to go get touchy feely with them and see what I like.
Are the screens on DLP fragile like the screens on older projection big screens? I'd hate for "little" hands to come along and ruin a brand new TV, which was one reason I liked the wall hung idea.
Thanks for the input so far.

Tangboy5000

No they are pretty solid. They will also try and sell you a screen protector/ anti-glare add-on. Depending on the price, it's cheap piece of mind. That way if it gets scratched you can just replace it. Ask the salesman to include it for free, it shouldn't be to big a hassle.

Doghouse

DirectTV is giving some areas the digital HD locals this year, but...
www.antennaweb.org will tell you the type of antenna and direction to point it to get the best for your area. I get all my locals with very little problem, and the shows in HD are outstanding!

Doghouse

Not all the time. If the digital cable company does not accept the feed, or does not pay for the HD feed, then you only get the regular transmission. You would not believe the difference in the quality of the 2 feeds.

Tangboy5000

Kevin,
Cable is where HD becomes tricky. Digital does not mean HD which confused alot of people around here and led to alot more mini dishes stuck to houses. Time Warner does carry the local channels in HD, but you have to make sure and ask for the HD tier and decoder when ordering. For some reason they don't advertise it that much and you really have to search their site for info on it. Also just because your TV has a built in decoder does not mean that you won't need a new one for your cable or satelite.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Tangboy5000
<br />Also just because your TV has a built in decoder does not mean that you won't need a new one for your cable or satelite.
Which is why I would go with a set that does NOT have the HD decoder built in. Adds more to the cost than you would pay for the external decoder (usually), and more electronics in the set to break down. JMO

Rudy Vey

We have a Samsung Flatpanel TV (HD) for about a year and a half now hanging on our wall and we love it. There is quite a difference between normal and HD. This is the way to go. Unfortunately, when ever you decide on such an item and finally buy one for a good price, you will see the price drop just a couple months afterwards....

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />OK I'll bite, what is DLP? My Wife and I are just starting to think about a new TV.

Wayne

Wayne, I'm with you on this one. I remember when the decision was black and white or color. Pass the Tylenol, I'm getting a headache!

swm6500

We bought a Sony LCD projection Wega 50" TV. HDTV is definitely worth watching, picture difference is amazing. I also recommend the extended warranty or service plan. My son had a 60" DLP Panasonic that went out on him and they wanted something like $3200 to repair it. He got it a year of so back and paid about $4000 for it so he is pretty bummed by it. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with one of the newer projection TV's rathet it is DLP or LCD projection. Plasmas can get a burned in image just like the CRT monitors could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom