The First MPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

How many here attended the first MPG that will be attending the MPG this April? I will be there and for sentimental reasons, would like to get a group picture. Yeah, I know, Cozee sentimental??!! LOL!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

I have for the life of me tried to remember what year I started. I know I was there a few years before Low48 took over. The old union hall. I know you were running it at that time. Just don't know what year.

Bummer.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I was thinking we had a round table discussion at the first one. About 15 guys? Could of been the second one though.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'm not sure if I was at the 1st one. My 1st could have been the second. Maybe 2010 or 2011?

cozee

First year was at the Phillips Recreation Center in Urbana. 2007. Reading back through the original thread of the first MPG stirred my heart. I was truly overwhelmed at the attendance and States represented and the growth in the following years. My hat is still off to my son Terrence, my wife Dawn, the rest of my family who pitched in, and Ron Baker who had helped us move the event to the Local #44 building. I am also still grateful for those who stepped up for the demos. I have some pictures somewhere that I will set up for a little display in April. I remember the round table well, I especially remember the looks on a few faces when I asked them at the event to be a part of it!! It was hard for me to make the decision to pass on the reigns but I knew if I didn't, I would be it's downfall because personal issues where leading me in a different direct in life at that time. I knew Rich would take care of it and and here it is today. I want to take everyone who has in any way helped to make it what it is today. y'all are awesome!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
First year was at the Phillips Recreation Center in Urbana. 2007. Reading back through the original thread of the first MPG stirred my heart. I was truly overwhelmed at the attendance and States represented and the growth in the following years. My hat is still off to my son Terrence, my wife Dawn, the rest of my family who pitched in, and Ron Baker who had helped us move the event to the Local #44 building. I am also still grateful for those who stepped up for the demos. I have some pictures somewhere that I will set up for a little display in April. I remember the round table well, I especially remember the looks on a few faces when I asked them at the event to be a part of it!! It was hard for me to make the decision to pass on the reigns but I knew if I didn't, I would be it's downfall because personal issues where leading me in a different direct in life at that time. I knew Rich would take care of it and and here it is today. I want to take everyone who has in any way helped to make it what it is today. y'all are awesome!
Page 4 of PR Princess response has all the pics I remember. Even the round table discussion

Chasper

I was not there for the first year, but I was there for the what I think was the second and a few more. I remember jalapeno poppers, calico beans and good presentations.

low_48

I will be in Chicago, again with a table full of wood and doing a demo. I think I've done demos every year except for in Ohio. Fun to see the old pictures!

Last edited:

cozee

During this weekend I had a handful of attendees who asked me how many attended the first event. I told them I didn't clearly recall but felt it was somewhere in the mid to upper 50s. After digging through the archives, I found that at the first event in 2007 there was 52 attendees. In 2008 there was 74. Not sure about '09 and '10 but I do remember that it kept growing till nearly 4 times the original number as 297 was the last I heard for 2019!

Not sure what year I was there either, but do remember it being in a smaller building than the Carpenter's Hall... My wife's daughters both lived in Champagne/Urbana.. one in each city and we stayed with the daughter in Champagne, before she moved to Mohamet. I remember pigging out on the poppers... one of my favorite snacks... remember Ed Brown's demo on turning plastics... improved my turning tremendously... don't remember Ron Mc there, but remember meeting him in Marietta, GA at another gathering... was a long time ago, but was a good time.

I've given up on pens myself, not much market for them here, but still a pretty prolific turner, bowls and pepper mills.

thewishman

Not sure what year I was there either, but do remember it being in a smaller building than the Carpenter's Hall... My wife's daughters both lived in Champagne/Urbana.. one in each city and we stayed with the daughter in Champagne, before she moved to Mohamet. I remember pigging out on the poppers... one of my favorite snacks... remember Ed Brown's demo on turning plastics... improved my turning tremendously... don't remember Ron Mc there, but remember meeting him in Marietta, GA at another gathering... was a long time ago, but was a good time.

I've given up on pens myself, not much market for them here, but still a pretty prolific turner, bowls and pepper mills.

You were at the first one, but your handle back then was Ozymandius, or something like that. That was back when The Pen Shop was going strong.

Top Bottom