Fios ( fiber optic cable network)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Does anyone here use Fios for computer, phone, and TV. My cable company last year did away with the Yes network and I am a huge Yankee fan so I suffered some what. I do not want to go another year without. I am thinking of switching. This is the fiber optics cable stuff.

If you do what are some of the advantages and disadvantages?? What does it take to get installed. Are there options I should be aware of and would want that you got and now like?? I am sure this maybe called other things in different parts of the country. I am in NJ. My old cable company is Comcast the ripoff artists. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

John,

We got Fios about 10 years ago after having cable and then satellite for tv and dsl for our internet.
We swapped to Fios. It seems to be very reliable...(tv)...sometimes a blip but better than where we were before. Had wireless issues in the house, finally got them to replace the router with a newer up to date one...this helped.

Cost: tv, internet with increased speed and 2 phone lines......about $224 a month:eek::mad:
Out tv is package might now be called HD Extreme or something like that. It has some ESPN channels hgtv, DISC. Hist. DIY, etc. we have no pay per view, pay Chanel's , movie channels at all

Their billing is complex/confusing....you get quoted a price on the phone and you ask what will my final bill be monthly.....invariably, it is higher with something tacked on.

As for operation, When the power goes off and the backup battery will keep the phone alive for some hours.....but when that goes dead, you have no phone at all....even with your old plug in phone....the copper lines are gone outside the house......cell phones still work!. Keep one of those jump batteries for your car charged up to keep your cell phones charged during those blizzards or stormageddons.
Inside, your copper is still used onece it comes in through the Nib (network interface box)

I brought my line inside through the wall BELOW grade and have everything inside. No one can sit in the bushes outside at night, plug in a phone and talk to relatives in another country on your dime......nor cut your line!
( I had to bring the line in....they would not do it.)

Summary: It works reliably but costs. You feel like putting your hands in the air every time you get a bill.

jimmyz

We have FIOS for Internet. Can't get TV because we're at the end of the line and not enough "juice" to get to us. We have had some router issues but they were good about replacing them. Can't really complain.

monophoto

Before you get too excited, check to make sure that it's available in your area.

We have Time Warner (which is being renamed Specturm to disguise the fact that TWC was bought by Comcast). Theoretically, we can do Direct TV except that there is a deed restriction in our neighborhood that forbids outdoor dishes. But Verizon is not available in our area - we are out in the country and Verizon is unwilling to invest in replacing their extensive copper wire system with fibers.

jttheclockman

Oh it is available for sure. I have them stopping by at least once a month trying to get me to sign up. The only reason I may have to resort to this as I said is because I do not get the Yes network any more because of contact dispute between them and Comcast. It does not look like it will be coming back either because they went through the whole year and nothing got resolved. I am a Yankee fan. we maybe starting a whole new era now and I want to watch. All these companies are rip-offs but they have you over a barrel. Will see. Thanks.

skybiker

We have Frontier FIOS

The service used to be Verizon FIOS, but they sold it off to Frontier not long ago. Speed is incredible, 75megabits, so absolutely no delays for anything on the internet. We have the bundle, TV, Internet and phone.

The only issue so far is the bill has been messed up & the Frontier billing system seems to be in the dark ages. Customer support is nice, but it takes an act of congress to get anything done.

Dave

Top Bottom