Fine dining

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Visiting the folks and took Dad to get new tires on his truck. When leaving the tire store, Dad said wrooden wrooden which is Dad speak for we are going for a ride. Dad's stroke took away most of his words so communication can be a challenge and when Dad says wrooden wrooden you have no idea what you are in for. You just drive where he points and hope he gives you enough notice to make the turn. I soon figured out that we were headed for the mountains and then he starts pointing at a small country store and handed me his wallet. With some back and forth I figured out he wanted a six pack so I got a six pack and we headed up the mountain. After negotiating some kiss your butt turns and some four wheeling we ended up near the top of the mountain and Dad starts motioning me to slow down which was hard to do since I was already going very slow. After a bit I realized we were hunting chinquapins. I waded into the briars and poison oak praying that the timber rattlers were not looking for chinquapins as well and picked a hatful. We then stopped and cracked open a beer and ate some chinquapins. Mountain cuisine with the goodest of the good ole boys- nothing finer.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Cody, yesterday I spent time with my 86 year old mother, and again tomorrow; Very stressful with her issues. (And, My wife's parents are 90 and 91...)

But, in 3-5-10 years I will regret not having the time with her.
And... In a few years, as you know, you will wish for time with your Dad. Enjoy the beer and the Chini's! Surprise him and do this again very quickly!

Thanks for the thread; some things are more important than what we see in front of our eyes!

jttheclockman

Please cherish every minute with your parents. My Mom passed in Jan and my Dad 10 years ago and there is not a day that goes by that I do not think about them. Sunday was my day to stay with my Mom all day and now all I do is go to the cemetery to say a prayer and tell her I am still with her and that it is Sunday.

Nice story and hope you get to write many more.

OZturner

Cody, a Beautiful Story, I could sense the Feelings of both you and your Dad, on the Journey.
My right eye got a little hazy, as I read.
I am sneaking up on being within a year of an Octogenarian, and fortunately I contracted Atrial Fibrillation,a couple of Months ago, which if not diagnose and treated can result in a Stroke. So I empathise with your Dad.
And I support what Mark said, "Surprise him and do this again very quickly!" .
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Cwalker935

Thanks for nice comments. I do treasure every moment with my parents. Having lost my mother-in-law earlier this year and having several co-workers lose theirs recently, I am well aware of how precious our time is. I sometimes struggle with the prospect of losing them but realize it is inevitable and know that I am have been very blessed to have them for as long as I have. Aging and aging parents are no walk in the park. I am constantly amazed my parents and the courage they have while facing major health issues.

Brian, I am sorry to hear about your illnesses and pray for the best for you.

Top Bottom