Finally! I think I'm on the right track

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gin N' Tonic

Hello everyone, Been a while since I posted here because I was suffering from health issues that were mis-diagnosed so many times. It began a few years ago when I started to feel a numbness in my hands in feet that would come and go. Went to the doctor and was diagnosed with carpel tunnel; Never heard of carpel tunnel causing numbness in the legs but I didn't know any better. Then I started to experience blinding headaches that would last an hour or two and subside, this was diagnosed as chronic migraines and I was given some medicine and it seemed to subside or at least became less severe. about a year ago I began to have trouble breathing at night and I would wake up gasping for breath feeling as if I was about to die so I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and given a cpap machine, funny thing is that it did absolutely nothing to stop the gasping for air at night and the doctors were perplexed. In February of this year I began to notice that I was having trouble swallowing and that when I coughed or sneezed I would get a blinding pain that would begin in the back of my head and radiate around to the front. This would last form 15 seconds to a minute and there were a few times that the pain was so intense that I nearly passed out. Then came the issues with balance and coordination. I would sometimes stumble and nearly fall for no apparent reason and I noticed that my fine motor skills were deteriorating to the point where I could barely tie my shoes. I also noticed that my eyesight was beginning to decline at a very rapid pace and I was becoming very forgetful. Given all of these symptoms my Doctor was finally able to convince my insurance company to allow for an MRI and thew were looking for signs of a brain bleed, lesions or a stroke. It took the Neurologist all of about 15 seconds to tell me that I had a Chiari 1 malformation and it was severe and needed immediate surgery.

Chiari 1 Malformation is where the back portion of the skull is too small and the brain begins to push the cerebellum out of the skull and into the spinal cavity. The pressure on the cerebellum does not let the spinal fluid circulate about the brain and spine properly causing the pain and disruption of your primal functions. I cannot really blame the Doctors because this is a pretty rare condition and can usually only be determined by an MRI. Most of the time it is found by accident while looking for something else such as in my case.

On July 12th I went under the knife and had a portion of the back of my skull removed ans the back of C1 & C2 vertebra removed to alleviate the pressure on the brain. I have to tell you that I was never in so much pain or misery that I was on the 12th & 13th. I could not eat, I could not sleep. Oxycontin and Oxycodone did very little to help with the pain, I just wanted to curl up and die. Finally in the evening of the 13th they decided to try interveinous Tylenol and that must have began to bring down the swelling and I was moved from ICU to a regular room. I had hoped to go home on the 14th thinking I would be much more comfortable at home and at first when the PA visited me to change the dressing he thought it was a good idea but I had to have the approval of the surgeon before I could go home, The surgeon came later in the afternoon just before I was to have the next does of Tylenol and saw that I was in a lot of pain and said I should stay until Friday. I pleaded with him to let me go and asked him to confer with the PA who changed the dressing earlier in the day when the medicines were in full force and he said that he would but really thought I should spent the extra day. I had already proved that I could walk and climb stairs without assistance so I wanted to get out of there as soon as I could. He left and I was devastated. Then about 5:30 the patient coordinator came and asked me if I was set to go home. I tole her that the surgeon said he wanted me to stay until Friday but she said that they called and said I could go if I wanted to. Took me all of 5 minutes to get out of that gown, get dressed and I was ready to go.

So far I have been progressing steadily every day, I no longer have pain when I cough or sneeze, My balance and fine motor skills are returning to normal and my eyesight has improved a little. I'm still an old fart so I need to where cheaters to read but it comes with the territory. I have weined myself off of the pain meds and the muscle relaxers because I don't like taking stuff like that (I hate the way it makes me feel).

I don't think I'll be able to turn for quite a while and I'm beginning to remember some promises that I made to members here which I hope to fulfill in the coming weeks.

I had my 1 week post-op last Tuesday and I'm going to have the 18 stitches that were used to close the 8-1/2" gash in the back of my knoggin' removed this Tuesday. So now I've joined the ranks of the "Zipperheads" and I'll wear my scar proudly.

By the way, If you want a picture of the incision with the stitches in I'll be glad to send you one. I think it makes me look pretty tuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Never heard of such a thing , but delighted you are feeling better . Don`t see how your skull could have shrunk , so your brain must have grown from all of the pen turning knowledge you have ingested .

robutacion

Whow, what an event you went through...!:eek:

Glad that you are finally improving, it should have been hell before you were diagnosed.

In our days, doctors can do things that a few decades b ack, they were only a dream or a whish and that is promissing.

Thank you for taking the time to explain what you had to go through, it makes small things we complain about to look so minor...!

Take carer and get well, soon.

Cheers
George

JimB

It is good to hear you are recovering. It must have been a freightening time to have all those things happening to you and not know why. Continue to rest and recover at your own pace.

lhowell

Wow! I thought at first you were going to say a brain tumor with the dizziness and balance but I knew what it was when you said you woke up gasping and the pain with coughing and sneezing! One of my really good friends had this same issue and she had part of her skull removed and I believe some vertebrae removed. She was in as much pain as you were too but it has been about two years since and she has made a full recovery! She said the best part is the lack of excruciating migraines she used to get that would literally incapacitate her! Glad that they finally got the diagnosis right and now you can focus on recovery and healing! Definitely sending prayers your way!

Gin N' Tonic

Wow! I thought at first you were going to say a brain tumor with the dizziness and balance but I knew what it was when you said you woke up gasping and the pain with coughing and sneezing! One of my really good friends had this same issue and she had part of her skull removed and I believe some vertebrae removed. She was in as much pain as you were too but it has been about two years since and she has made a full recovery! She said the best part is the lack of excruciating migraines she used to get that would literally incapacitate her! Glad that they finally got the diagnosis right and now you can focus on recovery and healing! Definitely sending prayers your way!

This is something that I was born with. It it surprisingly more common than first thought, about 1 in every 750 births. Most people who have it will live their entire life without any problems and never know they have it unless it is discovered bu accident. It is also 3 times more likely to occur in women than in men. The cat scan, from what I'm told looks at you from the top down in slices where the MRI can see you in a side view and this is why it it becoming much more easily diagnosed. The surgeon I had happens to be in the top 5 in this field and studied at Yale, He has done 38 of these surgeries and assisted in 40 others, he said that my problem was one of the worst cases he has ever seen.

Towards the end it was all I could do to make it through the work day and when I got home I was so whipped I would just eat and go to bed so that I would have enough strength to make it through the next day. I cannot tell you if the pain that I felt was the same as childbirth but if it was anything close you guys had better look at your wives in a different light because if they would willingly endure this type of pain then they are much stronger than we will ever be.

A Woman that I work with had to have 2 vertebra fuzed a couple of years ago and when I get back to work she's going to get a great big hug and I'm going to let her know how much I admire her strength and courage.

Thank you for the prayers,

Scott

Gin N' Tonic

Scott! Good to hear from you and I'm glad that they got you situation sorted out.

Thank you Jeff,

BTW, as a gift to myself I pulled the trigger in an Icom IC-7300 and I'm recuperating by making QSO's all around the world on 40 & 80 Meters. You got to get back on the air buddy, It's so fun.

Scott

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Scott! Good to hear from you and I'm glad that they got you situation sorted out.

Thank you Jeff,

BTW, as a gift to myself I pulled the trigger in an Icom IC-7300 and I'm recuperating by making QSO's all around the world on 40 & 80 Meters. You got to get back on the air buddy, It's so fun.

Scott

I drool over QST ads for that rig every month!

My tentative return to active date is Jan 1, 2022. The day after I retire.

Gin N' Tonic

Thank you Jeff,

Scott

I drool over QST ads for that rig every month!

My tentative return to active date is Jan 1, 2022. The day after I retire.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes.

Jeff,

There is a show that I watch on YouTube every Thursday called Ham Nation, they actually record it live on twit.tv on Wednesday nights and goes up on YouTube on Thursdays I watch it every Thursday or Friday night. Very informative.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Scott!

I do hope you can get back to turning soon!!!

I read your thread and appreciate your willingness to share your experiences. It is a needed reminder for many of us to be thankful that our "aches and pains" are actually minor to those of others!

Be well, Mark

Top Bottom