finally got my new metal lathe and mill in the basement!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on buying a new PM1127 mainly because I wanted to put this "smaller" lathe in the basement as opposed to my vintage Logan Powermatic in the garage. Also had designs on getting my PM727 mill in the basement as well.

My wife got awesome pics of us getting the lathe into the basement but unfortunately the mill table wouldn't fit down the stairs so we ended up taking the column off the base and getting it down in two parts. Not easy.... Anyways, by that time my wife lost interest apparently and didn't get any pics!

Attachments

• 20180326_181745.jpg
    20180326_181745.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 20180326_181900 (2).jpg
    20180326_181900 (2).jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 20180326_184313 (2).jpg
    20180326_184313 (2).jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 20180326_205648.jpg
    20180326_205648.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 267
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

WOW !! . What an undertaking !! Glad you didn't have to call the undertaker !

WOW !! . What a fantastically equipped shop ... usable summer AND winter !!

There is a $1509.28 on the wall ... is that your selling price for the lathe ?? . I'll buy it !!! . You pay the shipping !

Love that vise under the bench, also .... but it looks too big for the house !!!!

Last edited:

stuckinohio

WOW !! . What an undertaking !! Glad you didn't have to call the undertaker !

WOW !! . What a fantastically equipped shop ... usable summer AND winter !!

There is a $1509.28 on the wall ... is that your selling price for the lathe ?? . I'll buy it !!! . You pay the shipping !

Love that vise under the bench, also .... but it looks too big for the house !!!!

LOL. You are the lucky winner Mal! Now you just have to get to Ohio and get it out of the basement....!!!!!

magpens

Three guys and you, eh ?

That 2x4 screwed to the ceiling joists ... and the chain hoist hanging ... exactly the same as in my garage !!!

stuckinohio

Great minds think alike I guess! I spent so much time thinking about how to get the lathe into the basement I was totally unprepared for the mill not fitting down the stairs I guess.

mrburls

Hey Lewis, basement looking good. That lathe looks so familiar but yours isn't buried in the shop like mine. Can't wait to see what kind of kitless pens you start cranking out now.
Keith

stuckinohio

I see 4 huge guys. You could not lift that and place it. :biggrin: Man, labor today is not what it used to be.

Hahahahahaha! You sure aren't kidding! :biggrin:

Sweet! Trying to guess what pen make it out of the basement first, I suspect it will not be an oak slim

Great machines!

Chris, I would say that is a good guess :)

With that equipment, you better be posting some awesome stuff soon!

After I clean up the resulting mess made from getting them down there I certainly hope so. We'll see:)

Somebody's going to be having fun. Way cool.

I agree!

Gregory Hardy

I see 4 huge guys. You could not lift that and place it. :biggrin: Man, labor today is not what it used to be.

That's funny - that was exactly my first thought when I saw the pix on the FaceBox. When I moved my 1949 South Bend 9x3.5 (with matching original cabinet down a flight of stairs, I got six young bucks with more muscles than brains. Thirty minutes and three pizzas later, I was in business! :)

stuckinohio

Your wife just found a lovely home on the other side of town, you're moving.:eek:

LOL. We've both mentioned that we are never moving, and if we do then I guess some lucky person gets a lot of nice tools....!

I see you are buying machines to match the wall colours. :)

Have fun with the toys.

Curly, of course I match the tools to the basement. Who doesn't?

Nice move Lewis! Pun intended :biggrin:

You'll be having a blast making fancy pens soon.:wink:

I took a break from cleaning the mess up and getting everything organized so I could start using the lathe. I'm super anxious to start pen turning, but I gotta get organized. This is crazy with everything in 12 different places:bulgy-eyes:

That's funny - that was exactly my first thought when I saw the pix on the FaceBox. When I moved my 1949 South Bend 9x3.5 (with matching original cabinet down a flight of stairs, I got six young bucks with more muscles than brains. Thirty minutes and three pizzas later, I was in business! :)

Yeah, we could have for sure and one of the 4 of us wanted to just lift it and carry it down stairs, but why? I like to do things the easy way and the winch was perfect!:)

stuckinohio

I am just wondering, would he have moved if it broke loose?

Well, I'm pretty sure everyone would have, except for me of course who would have been trying to save the lathe.....!

It's hard to see in the pic, but I have my motorcycle jack supporting the lathe until we get it going up to the bench. Not a whole lot of room to move around in that area unfortunately. Lucky we had zero catastrophes. :smile-big:

Top Bottom