Figured Bubinga -what to make?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Well, I know I can get several nice pens out of the bubinga, but I am unsure as to if I want to use sapwood on half the pen and heartwood on the other half, or if I want to make one each in all Sap and hardwood. Also, I'm thinking the most figre will show if I make larger stuff like the Baron pens or even an Emporer fromm CS USA.

FiguredBubingaSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

It's actually about 3" wide on the short end by 10" long. The thickness is over 4/4, so I'm trying to figure out how to drill blanks offset on edge and then bandsaw around all the holes to maximize my pens. What's really cool is that even the sapwood has the figure. I'm also trying to figure if a pen would look good if I drilled through half sapwood and half heartwood so that one side of the pen is one color, but if you rotate it, you will get another color and grain.

This piece was a freebie and the blanks will be sold from this log for somewhere around $3-$4 each for 5" long blanks.

C_Ludwigsen

That is an INCREDIBLE board. I'm sure that if I held it in my hands I could think of how to cut it up. [:D]

How about cutting one set to where the transition from heartwood to sapwood is in the middle of the lower barrel. That way you not only get the color change but the pattern of the transition as well.

There are at least 999,999 other cool ways to cut it.

Travlr7

THE SIMPLY BEST thing I can think of for you to do with that wonderful piece of wood issssssssssssssssssssssssssss ---------- to MAKE A GIFT OF IT TO ME![:D]

I will be VERY greatful for receiving it![8D]

Bruce[;)]

wayneis

Most of us would sell our mother (inlaw) to get a piece of wood with both heart and sap wood with figure like that. The mixture makes some of the beautiful pans around. Look in some of our albums and you'll see many pens with a mixture.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom