Fidget Spinners - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 56

Default Fidget Spinners

I am sure that everyone has seen the latest fad going around with the Fidget Spinners. I saw them a while back but was not ready to spend upwards of $6.00 to buy one.

Last week, however, I was in my local Dollar Tree and there at the checkout counter were boxes of these things for $1.00 each. So, I bought three of them. Two I left at home, and one I brought into work with me.

They are really good quality-wise and they have quite a bit of weight to them so that they spin for a long time.

The only draw back I found on mine, was that there was a small area where the plastic was pumped into the mold that rough from when they broke it off the when they took the item out of the mold. It took me about two minutes with a sharp knife to smooth that out.

I have plans for making these with my hobby CNC machine, and I am going to try and make some with wood.
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

A fellow club member showed one he turned a couple of months ago. He just turned a wooden disc (double sided) and inserted a bearing in the center. It spun very nicely!
Good luck!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 56

The plans that I have a for the three legged kind. So, that is what I am going to try making out of wood. I will probably get a 1/16" think wood and laminate different colors to make the starting blanks.
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 13

How many fidgets will it hold when done?

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

The market has softened on these from what I understand. My source is a buddy whose 10 year old son had 4 different 3D printers running these at one point. He made probably 12-20k selling these wholesale and retail. It's dropped way off in recent months.
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
The market has softened on these from what I understand. My source is a buddy whose 10 year old son had 4 different 3D printers running these at one point. He made probably 12-20k selling these wholesale and retail. It's dropped way off in recent months.
The market for the "run of the mill" fidgets has dwindled, but for really custom and innovative ideas, the market is still open. Think of the market for executive toys, desk "ornaments" that people buy for the hard to buy person.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well that's true, MassDrop sells out of $65+ fidget spinner regularly. Didn't mention it because I suppose my brain still can't accept it.
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharri446 View Post

I have plans for making these with my hobby CNC machine, and I am going to try and make some with wood.
Made one about four months ago out of two layers of 3mm craft plywood cut out out on a 2500mw laser. Used old skate bearings but recently replaced the center bearing with a vxb ceramic bearing. Grand kid have it now.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
Well that's true, MassDrop sells out of $65+ fidget spinner regularly. Didn't mention it because I suppose my brain still can't accept it.
I know of hand machined $600 all metal spinners. Some sent to China, the same place that makes knockoffs of his work.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is a lot of "room" for innovators, the ones with artistic ability to create different styles. I have seen some that made me wonder what the guy was smoking when he thought that one up. Then I met the guy, in reality, it was his artistic brain functions that created the weird ideas.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads