Favorite wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

Sorry if this has been asked to death. I haven't been here that long. What is everyone's favorite wood? I really like spalted sycamore. Not just because I got a bunch of it for $6 on eBay, but I think it's beautiful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terryf

Ive taken a bit of a fancy to eucalyptus burl - I find it very easy to turn and finish and it looks great.
Second would have to be curly maple - just love the natural shine it gives off.

btw - how much wood is in a $6 bunch?

Russianwolf

Dalbergia

The Rosewood Family. :tongue:

Honduras Rosewood Burl, Cocobolo, African Blackwood, Tulipwood, Bois De Rose, etc.

So many beautiful woods in one family.

aggromere

My favorite wood is Amboyna Burl. It's relatively dense and heavy, turns easily, smells nice and looks great.

turbowagon

Huon pine

My favorite too!

Toni, do you have an example pic you could post? I don't believe I've ever seen that.

Here are a couple pens I made from Huon Pine burl:

huon_pine_blackwood_euro.JPG

huon_pine_rollerball1.JPG

Toni

Toni, do you have an example pic you could post? I don't believe I've ever seen that.

The only reason I know about Huon Pine is because of a collaboration I did with Alby Hall a well known wood turner in New Zealand. The smell was intoxicating. This is the Huon Pine collaboration we did.

4940911983_b8b1dd6fa0.jpg

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Several

Curly Maple....Amboyna burl....Cocobolo. I like a lot of woods but I am going toward using mosty burls. I like to make dark/light combinations with a dark cap and lighter body or visa-versa.

Lenny

Amboyna burl for me .... but ....

I have yet to turn Desert Ironwood or Brazilian Rosewood burl and I really want to at some point.
I agree with you about the spalted woods ... one of my favorites is the spalted crabapple I have gotten from louisbry here.

Top Bottom