A Favor?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I am not an accountant. Nuff said! I have been looking for some good and cheap bookkeeping/accounting software. I found this product a few months ago and thought it was interesting but again I am not an accountant!
I would like to ask someone with knowledge about accounting and software to take a look at this package and give me a quick assessment of it. Here is a link to their home page:
https://www.waveapps.com

If it is good and I am correct about the price it could be a great option for a lot of people!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Keith. I am a CPA and use to be very familiar with many accounting software products. I am not familiar with the one, and couldn't find a way to evaluate it.

Here's a link that seems to be relatively independent in its evaluation: The Best Accounting Software of 2017 | Top Ten Reviews

Quickbooks has a very large client base - so there is no shortage of help.

I am sure some of the folks here who have businesses will share the opinions.

Much success in your decision.

keithbyrd

Thank you Tony - I appreciate you finding and sharing the review link! I'm trying to find something easy for. non accountant to use!!

zig613

Hi Keith,

Over the past 20 years I have used both Quickbooks and Sage. Currently I am using Quickbooks for my forestry consulting business. It is relatively simple to use and provides me with the required reports (e.g., preparing income tax reports, sale tax reports, etc.) and tracks my revenues and expenditures. IMO Quickbooks is a little more user friendly then Sage.

Wade

Last edited:

TonyL

The accounting software developers will all say that you do not have to be an accountant and certainly do not. However, I recommend getting a bookkeeping for dummies book. Alternatively, if you are already familiar with Quicken, you can go with Quicken Home and Business...which is probably very much like Wave. I am juts not familiar with it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am not an accountant. Nuff said! I have been looking for some good and cheap bookkeeping/accounting software. I found this product a few months ago and thought it was interesting but again I am not an accountant!
I would like to ask someone with knowledge about accounting and software to take a look at this package and give me a quick assessment of it. Here is a link to their home page:
https://www.waveapps.com

If it is good and I am correct about the price it could be a great option for a lot of people!
A lot depends on what you are trying to do with the software. If you want to link it to an on line store and do all the tracking and stock inventory control you'll need something more elaborate than if you are only concerned with reporting income and expenses on a 1040 Schedule C.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The accounting software developers will all say that you do not have to be an accountant and certainly do not. However, I recommend getting a bookkeeping for dummies book. Alternatively, if you are already familiar with Quicken, you can go with Quicken Home and Business...which is probably very much like Wave. I am juts not familiar with it.
Hi, a number of the accounting packages depend largely on how big your business is. I got along just great with Quicken Home and Business until --- I went to on line banking. I changed to use PayPal as my business bank account and really didn't need any accounting software after that. I just used an Excel worksheet and gave the columns numbers matching the lines on the 1040C tax form and it worked fine. You can link Excel to quicken and send invoices from there if you like. That won't work for a very large business (unless there are very few products) but I have had no problems getting my taxes right, and that's all many of us need to worry about.

keithbyrd

Thank you for your inputs! I am following Tony's advice and started reading booking for dummies and will try to figure out what works -
Smitty - I like the simplicity of your suggestion but it seems that there would be quite a bit of time in having to put everything into excel. How time consuming is your process? I find that something that takes a lot of time to do gt put off till later and then it gets worse and ......!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thank you for your inputs! I am following Tony's advice and started reading booking for dummies and will try to figure out what works -
Smitty - I like the simplicity of your suggestion but it seems that there would be quite a bit of time in having to put everything into excel. How time consuming is your process? I find that something that takes a lot of time to do gt put off till later and then it gets worse and ......!
Paypal has an app that you can link to excel and do invoices directly from your Excel I think Mesquiteman uses or did use this and might be able to give you some information. He is the one who told me about it I used it for some things.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If you use PayPal as your credit card processing service and accept all or most of your payments sent and payments received they send you a 1099 for your receipts and they have a monthly report regarding your income and out go that makes it pretty easy to get tax information. The amount of time you spend on Excell entries will depend on whether or not you want to keep inventory there. For me tracking inventory was much larger problem than any other accounting issue.

Top Bottom