Facebook Privacy Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

As a FB user, I am upset about the recent privacy issue in the news as well as Zuckerberg's apparent lack of candor about it. I am considering cancelling my FB account and transferring to MEWE.com, which claims they will never share your data. Any thoughts on this from the membership?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Got tired of Facebook period 4 years ago and shut down my account. My wife keeps me up to date with family from hers. Do not miss it.

Banned my youngest daughter from hers as a sophomore or junior in high school. She is 21 now, on her own and never started it back up and doesn't miss it. She does do some of the message apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
After 6 years of lurking with my wife's account (which she never uses), I opened one for myself 2 months ago. After 3 weeks of incredible garbage, I closed it - 3 weeks before this mess. So I lasted 3 weeks.

I did not trust how they "linked" stuff, and I should have listened to my gut (and my brother that is in data-base mining, and my son who is in network security - both cautioned me).

As an end user, we need to be aware of security protocols, but they are buried so deep, that is is a chore to get it right.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am very surprised that most people do not know this has been going on. And FB is not the worst with data. Google does not consider its users to be customers, but rather the commodity. Google's inception was based upon selling data it gets from its users. Not much different than cigarette companies, cola companies, clothing companies creating items to target specific groups of people. It is that Google guys discovered the algorithms for tracking people's habits and figuring out how to use it like other retail creators do, only on the internet.

Have you ever gone to a web site, looked at an item, say a drill press or vac system or something else, then the next day visiting on another web site, or even FB, and you get ads for vacs or drill presses or tools? Yep, tracking. This information is VALUABLE to tool companies, so you become the commodity and companies such as Google and FB make money off of your likes. AND your political preferences are targeted and sold too. Been going on a long time.

I lived overseas from the US for over 25 years in a safe country, but I had coworkers that lived in some very security sensitive countries; back in the mid to late 90's, they were tracked via their internet use, even with VPN usage. Co-workers who didn't take security seriously wound up in trouble and kicked out of the country. That was 20 years ago.

Your information is out there. Even if you don't mind people knowing it, there are companies that want to know it and use it to their advantages and will. Casual but regular FB use, casual but regular Google search use provides enough data to build a psychological profile of you. And this is my issue with using Google search - they keep records of your search from the first time you used them. About 3 or 4 years ago, I found out how to look at my Google search data. WOW, they had my "search" data back in Japan in the early 2000's. Google got into the smartphone business to track data usage and sell it. That is why Google did not charge for the android OS. Give it away to track data of its users. FB is just the tip of the iceberg.

Terredax

Banned
Look in My Activity and it will list your use.
This can be deleted, but not really.:rolleyes:

The settings can also be turned off to reduce the tracking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom