Face Shield advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

campzeke

I am looking at purchasing a new face shield and found a couple on Amazon that don't break the bank. About the only difference I can see between the two is one has an anti fog lens the other does not.

Does anyone use either of these and do you recommend one over the other? Does anyone have another suggestion?

Links ....

Without Anti Fog lens.

With Anti Fog lens.

Thanks for your input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have one of the two, not sure if mine is anti for or not as my wife bought it for me... I've switched to a Trend Air shield as my primary shield until the batteries run down, then back to this one or one I have from CSUSA...

Both of the shield you show are comfortable to wear and I can attest they well deflect a flying piece of wood. :eek::redface: No recommendation as to which though.

I have the antifog and have never had a problem with it fogging, but I also wear a mask (think surgeon mask but made to filter particulates). If you do, rubbing shaving cream onto the shield should prevent it.

duncsuss

I have the one with the regular (not antifog) lens, very rarely have a problem with it fogging.

The great advantage of these is that the frame extends beneath your chin, if it gets hit by anything it won't smash the shield into your face (as can happen to the one from HarborFright, DAMHIKT).

TonyL

I have the first - no fogging issues. I wasn't aware of the second (fog-free) when I bough the first.

bpgoldo

Been using a face shield for some time. It is a nice alternative to safety glasses and a dust mask at times.

MTViper

I have the anti-fog and like it. A couple of things to remember, though, the face shield does not replace safety glasses. They are supposed to be worn together because they have different jobs and different capabilities. Second thing is that a face shield is only designed to protect you from small chips (like pieces of bark) not the whole chunk coming off at one time. There is nothing that's sold as a "face shield" that provides sufficient impact protection to keep you from getting hurt if a bowl blank comes off at high speed. Even Air Shield has started putting that warning on its webpage. A face shield may flex and slow the blank down to keep it from doing as much damage as it could but that's not its real job. Use the cage that came with your lathe. It's designed to catch big chunks before they get to you.

Marmotjr

Fogging comes from a difference in temperature. If it's cold in your shop, and your breath hits the cold face plate, then it will fog up. Anti-fog coatings help the fogging, but won't stop it if there is enough temperature difference. My shop is unheated, so in the winter months it's more dangerous to wear the face shield because I quickly can't see what I'm doing. Until I can get a positive air pressure system, I'll have to do without.
So take that into consideration. If you work in a heated shop, then the anti-fog coating will have a noticeable effect. If you work in the cold, then the coating is kinda moot.

Top Bottom