Ever wonder about Ebony?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Thanks for sharing. I have watched the video a couple of times in the past, but it was interesting to read the follow-up from Taylor. He is clearly a businessman and not a philanthropist (with regard to Ebony harvesting), but he seems quite ethical, a "doer" and not a "talker". Just my take...

leehljp

Member Liaison
There are other quality "ebonies" and they two are probably in short supply too. There are some in SE Asia / Philippines and at one time there was a fellow here that some could be ordered through.

I was fortunate to know a fellow when I lived in Japan that had some rare black Japanese persimmon wood in which the boards were solid black except the sap wood. He used his for plane handles and other tool handles, and for decorative cuts on some fine furniture. I saw 5 boards, 8 to 10 inches wide, a full 2 inches thick, 6 to 8 ft long. Back in early 2000, he paid the US equivalent of $800.00 per board.

Beautiful wood, silky smooth feeling and very oily even dried. I was lucky to get a couple of cut-offs and still have some to this day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom