Epoxy Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I used to buy epoxy in those plunger syringe fillers. They are convenient, but that's a far more expensive way to buy adhesive.

The bottled epoxy is $15.88 for a 4.5 ounces of glue - that $3.13 per ounce. The squeeze tube contains 0.85 ounces, and works out to be $6.45 per ounce. Epoxy doesn't go bad as long as the two components are kept separate, and I use quite a bit of it in my shop, so buying the bottles definitely makes sense.

Also, I find the syringes to be harder to use than a couple of squeeze bottles.

Unlike polyurethane glue that will go bad in the bottle before I can use it, so in that case I buy the smallest bottle they sell.

By the way, one problem with epoxy in the syringe - they offer several varieties of it, so you need to read the label carefully to make sure you know what you are getting. Harbor Freight sells a variety that is very inexpensive, but the working time is only 90 seconds which is not nearly enough time for me.

jttheclockman

I would stay away from the plunger type. Need to use it all at once. Dries in the tubes. The Devcon is a very fast setting epoxy. 5min. open time is pushing it at times. Know nothing about the other glue you mentioned.

bmachin

One advantage of the syringe container is that the mixing ratio is always exact, which is important when you are using very small quantities. I find that when I'm mixing epoxy from bottles, I generally make up way more than I need.

You might want to take a look at System Three's offerings. They sell several of their epoxies including T-88, Quick cure 5 and Quick Cure 15 in 8.4 ounce tubes that fit in a caulking gun.

Squirt out what you need, clean and recap the cartridge, mix and spread. As with the syringe, there is no mixing ratio error. Cost runs something like 19 to 23 bucks. I have cartridges that I've been using for a couple of years.
You're looking at a cost per ounce of less than $3.

I should add that while I love these cartridges, they have large openings, so they are not really suitable for one or two pens.

Bill

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

The Devcon looks like a good buy, Devcon is a well known name and the two bottles are very convenient . I have the Three System 5 minute two bottle and it is more than adequate for pens, you do not need T-88 structural adhesive for pens.

chartle

I buy Harbor Freight 2 3 oz tubes for about $7. I just think any epoxy is going to be strong enough for what most people use it for.

But before that I bought the 4 oz bottle of locktite at Home Depot for around $15 that I think comes out to some huge amount if bought in syringes.

Last edited:

campzeke

I use Devcon all the time for gluing tubes. As someone stated above 5 minutes is the max working time. I usually let it set for 4 hours minimum before turning... usually overnight. It's good stuff in my book.

howsitwork

Having had the 5 minute revert back to a rubbery consistency after about 5 years ( used it to join wings in model rc aircraft and this was a reported issue), I use the 24 hour long setting epoxy now. Leave to cure overnight in a warm place, never had an issue. I use araldyte but have used devcon and it's also good.

I use syringes and refil from large tubes being VERY CAREFUL to get the right tube in each side of the syringe, then making small quantities is a no brainier.

The 5 min stuff also,doesn't allow me to take my time with tube positioning within the blank.

Regards Ian

Brian G

I would stay away from the plunger type. Need to use it all at once. Dries in the tubes. The Devcon is a very fast setting epoxy. 5min. open time is pushing it at times. Know nothing about the other glue you mentioned.

I respectfully disagree about staying away from the plunger type. I frequently use the Gorilla brand that Ed linked above. It doesn't have to all be used at once. The 2 parts come out of separate nozzles and the cap only goes on one way.

The plunger delivery is pricier than the the two bottles, but easier to keep the proportions equal.

Both work fine for me. If a person is gluing tubes for a bunch of pens, a longer cure is easier. The 5 minute doesn't allow for more than two or three two-barrel pen tube glue ups before it gets to thick to use.

chartle

I always find that with the plungers I take off the cap push down the plunger and a huge glop comes out one side and nothing for the other. And yes I pushed both sides evenly. :frown::confused:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've never seen the Devon in the bottles like that (but haven't really looked for it). I would think it would be comparable to the other epoxies available on the market.

The bottled epoxy is $15.98 for a 4.5 ounces of glue - that $3.13 per ounce.
Louie, you're off on the cost. It is 2, 4.5oz bottles or a total of 9 ounces of glue for $15.88 or $1.77 per ounce.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

The Devcon looks like a good buy, Devcon is a well known name and the two bottles are very convenient . I have the Three System 5 minute two bottle and it is more than adequate for pens, you do not need T-88 structural adhesive for pens.

I use the T88 all the time and it all depends on what you are doing. If just putting tubes in a simple blank then any epoxy will do. If making a segmented pen you better use a stronger epoxy. Just my suggestion. :)

jttheclockman

I respectfully disagree about staying away from the plunger type. I frequently use the Gorilla brand that Ed linked above. It doesn't have to all be used at once. The 2 parts come out of separate nozzles and the cap only goes on one way.

The plunger delivery is pricier than the the two bottles, but easier to keep the proportions equal.

Both work fine for me. If a person is gluing tubes for a bunch of pens, a longer cure is easier. The 5 minute doesn't allow for more than two or three two-barrel pen tube glue ups before it gets to thick to use.

No problem Brian if it works for you go with it. Any time I used any type of epoxy in those tubes the next time I went to use it either both sides were dried in the tube or one of them. I prefer the bottles.

Someone mentioned it is easier to make the correct mixture with the tubes. I always err on the extra hardener side so it is not an exact science in my eyes.

When I was still making pens, I only used CA to glue in tubes... the only time I use an epoxy is to put together my pepper mills and wine glasses.... I was buying all my glues from Mannie until he sold out to Ed Brown and Dawn, then switch to Exotic blanks for my glues.

I make up the epoxy mixture by eye balling the amounts in a little cup and stir till it's clear... mostly I think I use slightly less hardener each time as I usually have a little left over when I run out of resin. Never had a problem.

farmer

epoxy

You want epoxy thin enough to seep into the pores of the wood...

5 minute epoxy is thick ......and sets up to fast before the epoxy has a chance to flow into the wood pores ..

5 minute epoxy is 5 minutes of working time .. the actual drying time is close or the same as slow drying epoxy ... ( 12 to 24 Hours )
I like the fact I have time to work with the wood making sure everything is lined up , making slow drying epoxy my favorite choice ..

I use west systems epoxy and as far as I am concerned its one of the best epoxies on the market .

West systems 105/206 for bonding and 105/207 for a glass like finish .

Woodchipper

I used Two Ton epoxy in a double syringe for years to build custom fishing rods. I just used what I needed and it kept for months. It has a working time of about 30 minutes. First rod had 5 minute epoxy and I almost didn't get the grip on. I also used TT to build golf clubs and never had a failure. It should hold a pen tube with no trouble.

monophoto

Louie, you're off on the cost. It is 2, 4.5oz bottles or a total of 9 ounces of glue for $15.88 or $1.77 per ounce.

Monty -

Perhaps. I agree that the two bottles are 4.5 ounces. So it's either a total of 9 ounces of glue, or 4.5 ounces of glue together with 4.5 ounces of hardener.

But the other issue is that the Lowe's web site said that the syringe packaging was 0.85 ounces, without specifying whether that was each tube, or the two tubes together.

My point was to compare the price per ounce, and if I was wrong in the calculation, the bottom line message is even more correct - epoxy is FAR less expensive when purchased in larger larger quantities.

sbwertz

Slightly off topic, but at the blind center we have developed a system to allow our partially sighted turners to tube their own blanks. I use a 15 minute epoxy, and mix it on an old PSI catalog. They mix the epoxy thoroughly on the paper, then smear it out in a thin layer. Using a cap from an old CA glue bottle as an insert tool, they roll the tube in the epoxy to coat the tube then insert it into the blank. The problem we were having was that many of them didn't have enough vision to see to smear the glue evenly on the tube. By rolling it in a thin coat of epoxy they can get an even coat that will adhere well. They are thrilled to be able to do this for themselves. Also, they can tell when the glue has set by touching the remaining smear of glue left on the paper.

We also use epoxy to do inlay. We will mix crushed stone into the 15 minute epoxy and let the blind turners fill the voids. Wearing nitrile gloves, they can stuff the stone/epoxy mix into the voids or grooves in the blank by touch. The more they can do themselves, the more confident and proficient they become. These turners never cease to amaze me!

Last edited:
Top Bottom