engraving small diameter items?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbatons

I'm often asked by potential customers about laser engraving. For you engravers out there, can the machines do work on 3/16" dowel rods? And does it matter if the dowel is painted? I use white gloss epoxy paint.

Last question...are there any members here who do engraving work in the Dallas area?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

If you're talking about flatbed engraving on the longitudinal axis, it can be done with a couple of caveats. The focus is going to vary with the curvature of the rod, so there's a limit to how wide a design you can engrave. There will also be some distortion from projecting a flat image onto a curved surface. Engraving can be done if these factors are minimized. If you have a rotary attachemnt, then you can engrave on any diameter your attachment can handle. My rotary attachement wasn't designed for small diameters, so I built a jig to handle pen-size items.

A laser will burn through most paints without any problem. Some paints produce toxic vapors when burned, so be careful. As always, don't use a laser on PVC.

Regards,
Eric

Chasper

With a rotary attachment a laser might be able to handle that, but there are severe design limitations. With a 3/16 dowel you have less than .6 inches circumference; 42 point type would wrap all the way around. I lasered some standard flat sided pencils, they should be about that diameter, but I did them flat and the type was in the 5 point range.

I haven't looked it up in the manuel for the rotary attachment, but the it would need to turn a long way around to do even small type. I use the rotary attachment to engrave on the outside of champaign glasses and crystal coffee mugs. In those applications the rotary is turning about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn on each side, my rotary will not turn enough to spin the glass around and engrave the other side, the glass must be removed and repositioned in the clamp.

For a 3/16 dowel you would need to make more than 1/2 of a full rotation just to apply two lines of 9 point type.

The laser will easily burn through the paint, but it might leave it looking scorched around the edges. Put a piece of masking tape over the paint, burn through the tape, the paint, and into the wood and the scorched edge will be confined to the tape that you can peel off and throw away.

MarkHix

You might call Wood World off of TI Blvd in Richardson. I have used them for engraving. I don't know the limitations on it but the engraving was perfect. (and they have alot of new blanks!)

txbatons

Thanks for the replies. I'll check Wood World, Mark.

Eric and Gerry...thanks for the help. I'm just needing lettering on one line, so I'm thinking I'll have better luck with that than I would if I was trying to get a design engraved.

Are there alternatives? Like heat transfer lettering or peel off labels or whatever?

Top Bottom