End of my penturning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Thanks for the update,lets keep our fingers crossed that you find a cure soon.
Originally posted by Dario

For those who are inquiring...I haven't turned a pen for about 2 weeks and my hands are much better.

We will see this coming week because I will have to make some :D.

Thanks guys!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Dario: Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. Was this an issue before you moved to far South Texas or has it developed (or been aggravated) since your move?

Doghouse

Dario, CA is nasty stuff. I would not doubt that it would be your main problem. I wear latex gloves when using it, and stopped haveing some of the problems I was having. Now I have gone back to laquer for finish and epoxy for inlay.

Dario

Randy, This have been going on but lately seems to be getting worse. If it is related to my move I really cannot tell.

John, I will be testing for CA and if it is the culprit, I might have to go with lacquer or Enduro. My problem is my lack of patience. [8)]:D I will have to work on it though if that is the only way.

Thanks!

MichaelS

Do you use hand cream every night it seems to keep it at bay. My hands get really dry and used to do the same thing as I have said.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
My dad has Eczema, and has used cortisone every day for about 50 years with no problems thus far! My sister and her kids have it too, so I'm glad I inherited my mom's skin...

Here's a list of tips for Eczema:
Ways to manage your eczema

* Don't scratch, moisturize!
* Follow a daily routine, even if there is no visible eczema
* Take as many baths or showers as you like
* Keep cool and calm (stress can cause flare-ups)
* Wear cotton, sleep on cotton
* Find out what triggers your 'flare-ups'
* Test any new product for your face or body first
* Be patient
* Follow your doctor's treatment advice

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Just had a thought...you turn with gloves on? What type of gloves?

I bought a box of latex gloves, and my dad used a set. Turns out, his eczema is triggered by latex, so his hands got dry, cracky, and broke out in a rash...

Maybe it's the gloves that are the culprit? Try latex-free and see if that helps!

Shep

Dario - I use Man-O protective cream when turning and for a lot of other jobs. It comes in a tub like a pound of margarine and is about the same consistency. Grab a blob, and rub it all over your hands until dry. You don't even notice you have it on. It will protect your skin and when you want it off, just wash with soap and water.

When I am gluing tubes, I tend to get CA on my hands and it just washes off with soap and water. I was blacking some tubes with a Sharpie permanent marker and managed to get black marks on my hands and they washed off with water. The cream really seems to protect your hands without all of the problems associated with gloves.

I have no connection with the company that makes the stuff, just a satisfied customer. Maybe it could help you.

Randy_

Originally posted by Shep

Dario - I use Man-O protective cream when turning and for a lot of other jobs. It comes in a tub like a pound of margarine and is about the same consistency. Grab a blob, and rub it all over your hands until dry. You don't even notice you have it on. It will protect your skin and when you want it off, just wash with soap and water.

Never heard of this stuff so know nothing about it. My concern with applying any sort of cream to the hands just before working with blanks is that the stuff would rub off on the blanks and cause problems in the finishing process.

darrylm

Dario, you mentioned that you thought taking off the gloves might also be aggrevating things, I wonder if giving your gloved hands a wash prior to taking the gloves off might help...

hopefully you can find a solution to keep turning.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
So far I think switching to acrylics is your best bet, Dario. Just so you won't be tempted to kick up your allergies again, I will be happy to give your exotics and burls a nice home. [8D]

randyrls

Originally posted by Dario

I haven't been turning much lately because it is not fun anymore.

Not fun because of my eczema (allergy?) attacks. Despite the heat/sweating, I turn now with gloves and I still get flare up on my fingers. Not sure if it is the wood, the accelerator, CA, etc.

[V]:(

Dario; Take a look for Vtek (house-wrap) suits. They make them with long sleeves and a hood. Cheaper than a hazmat suit :)

The suggestions about dermatologist and possibly allergy doctor are good ones.

Hope it clears up for you.

Hastur

Hey Dario sorry to hear about your situation with the allergies. I sure hope you find the culprit and continue doing something you enjoy doing. I know I do not get on the site much but I have always enjoyed your words of wisdom!

helgi

Dario:
I just caught on to this thread and here is my two you know what, after being in the painting trade 40 yrs or more, one thing is sure thinners will dry out skin faster than anything else and accellerator and CA are nasty stuff.WE used to before we started coat our hands with a barrier cream then gloves, So if you have any industrial safety supply store around check them out. I think this is the best protection a person can start out I still do use it everytime.Lee Valley or a vetenarian for big animals have a product called bag balm sounds queer i know but works, its mainly used on cows bags before milking. Why LV sells it I do not know, but it sure softens up the skin nice and that's what you want. Hope that this will work for you when you decide to give it a try. I enjoy your insight and ability to share. helgi

Dario

Originally posted by helgi

WE used to before we started coat our hands with a barrier cream then gloves, So if you have any industrial safety supply store around check them out. I think this is the best protection a person can start out I still do use it everytime.Lee Valley or a vetenarian for big animals have a product called bag balm sounds queer i know but works, its mainly used on cows bags before milking. Why LV sells it I do not know, but it sure softens up the skin nice and that's what you want.

Thanks guys for all the good input. I'll surely give this a try.

Andrew, I might if all else fails but don't want to bother him if at all possible. [8)]

Still no turning and my fingers are almost all healed. :)[^]

Thanks again!

Top Bottom