End of my penturning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I haven't been turning much lately because it is not fun anymore.

Not fun because of my eczema (allergy?) attacks. Despite the heat/sweating, I turn now with gloves and I still get flare up on my fingers. Not sure if it is the wood, the accelerator, CA, etc.

Every flare up, I have to treat myself with hydrocortisone for a week or so to stop the cracks/bleeding and oozing. There are times when I can hardly bend my fingers due to thickened skin and pain. Just one pen though and the eczema attack starts again! [xx(]

If this keeps up...I really might have to give up penturning. OUCH!!! [V]:(

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dario,

We can't lose you here! What do you need? Have you tried nitrile gloves? What about a mask?, What kind do you have?

I went from a mask to a Triton and now to a good dust collector system. I have used rubber gloves for over a year. If I don't have the Triton on or the DC system going and If I also don't use rubber gloves, I get severe flu like symptoms for 2 or 3 days and sometimes get double vision.

Take care of yourself.

GBusardo

Hi Dario, Have you thought about turning just acrylic for a while? No more need for CA. What you need to do is rule stuff out. If you start doing ok with out the wood and CA, you could introduce maybe one type of wood, like oak and see what happens. I always thought eczema outbreaks were due to nerves, I guess I was wrong.
Dont give up the ship with out trying!

jcollazo

Say it isn't so[:0]

Have have seen a dermatologist or gotten the battery of allergy tests? Is it any wood? Acrylic? The paint on the walls in your shop? I'll be praying for you. Even though I've never met you I've read your posts here and on Woodnet and you know what you're talking about.

Man, oh man.

Dario

Hank,

Respiratory is okay, my 3M mask seems to be sufficient.

It is my fingers (pointy and middle of right hand and thumb and pointy of my left) that are reacting. It starts with small watery dome (almost like insect bite) and they grow sideways until fused as one...then my skin cracks. If I don't treat it...it just keeps on going. Old ones heal then new ones start again. Lately, I've been doing damage control by "draining" them using a nipper as soon as I see them. Seems helping but having sore (and embarrassing) fingers 3 weeks in a month turning 2 pens or so is not worth it.

My finger nails are starting to show "damage" too since the eczema crept to the nail root area.

I guess I will have to see a dermatologist.

Man, the things we endure for our hobby. LOL

BTW...even if I stop turning (which I hope will not happen). I will stick around here. ;) [:p] LOL

Thanks!

Woodlvr

Dario, You have to stay regardless of what happens. I am very close to also selling off all of my equipment so I know how you feel. See a doctor soon and get well please. :)

LEAP

What a bummer, Hope you find a solution, Else we'll have to all chip in and get you a hazmat suit. It might be a little ackward but the bright yellow would look sharp.

MichaelS

See a dermatologist, I had the same problem about 5 years ago when I first started turning pens. The Dermo gave me an RX for Eldel (think that is the wrong spelling). Also cut down on the CA it can and will make some people sick. Use as stated above Triton with good dust collection also a double air filter with remote that hangs from the ceiling. Try Nitrile gloves a hazmat suite and take it off outside with the gloves still on. Also good hand cream from the Dremo, every night. I suffered from cracked skin on finger tips bleeding, extremely painful and worse for three years and it sucks. I know it sounds like alot unless you want to start gardening then what to do in the winter.

Dario

Michael,

If you are talking about Elidel...I've used it.

I am using nitrile gloves now but it is possible that my fingers are still exposed while removing the gloves.

Thanks!

DocStram

Dario ......
The exact same thing happens to me. It's been going on for the last three years. At this very moment I have four band aids on my fingers. Cracks slowly start and grow deeper and longer, usually about 3/4 of an inch. Then, they start to bleed. The pain is relentless. Sometimes, I can't even type.

I'll be at the office and look down to see blood smears on my shirt from my fingers bleeding. The other day I went to pass back some tests to my students and my fingers bled onto a student's paper. Disgusting.

I'm teaching a computer class this semester. It's awful when I reach down to show a student something on the computer and they see my fingers such a mess.

The pain often keeps me up at night.

I've been to a dermatologist time after time after time. When it gets really bad he injects cortisone into each of my finger tips. Pretty exciting, as you can imagine.

Nitrile gloves aggravate the condition. The perspiration makes things worse.

Let me know if you find a solution.

Russianwolf

Dario , not quite the same but I've had "non-specific dermatitis" for years. On mine I get dry blisters (no fluid ever in them that I've seen) then they open and the the skin beneath is so tender and dry that it cracks and if I'm not carful about putting oitments and creams on them, they crack to the point where they bleed, especially in the joints. For me the worse is my pointer and middle on the right hand, but it sometimes comes up on the left too. never had it it on either ring or pinky. I'vce given up trying to figure out what it is. let me know if you do and I'll give the cure a try.

I'm also going to have to take a hiatus from woodwork though. I've appearently become sensitive to some of the dust and won't be allowed back in the shop until I have a good mask to keep it out of my lungs.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dario,

You are contagious! Look at all the people with similar problems! ;) Praying for you here! I enjoy your wisdom and part of it does come from your experiences. I sure would hate to see that stop.

The rest of you fellows, my heart goes out to you. Take care of yourselves!

les-smith

Hey Dario,

I hope you get a handle on it. I've always admired your work and input. I don't have dermatitis, but have always had problems with cracking. If I wear latex or nitrile gloves I always wear cotton gloves underneath. A dermatologist told me to try that and it has seemed to help. I agree with GBusardo, try and rule the bad stuff out. That'll probably lead to some answers. I also agree with seeing the dermatologist, it really helped me out. I hope things get better.

jscola

Dario, I have a similar problem. Went thru all the test & the deremtologist said I was allergic to some forms of plastics . I have a friend who is a chemist & he says CA glue is a form of plastic. So I try not to use CA glue and also use a ointment (halobetasol propionate 0.05%) The ointment helps quite a bit. Maybe you should see a dermtologist. Maybe they can help you . Don't give up & good luck. : Joe S.

GoodTurns

Dario-
Please see the dermatologist! As others have suggested, maybe you need to come to the dark side and stick to acrylics for a bit...I felt guilty the first couple of times but now I enjoy it!

alamocdc

I'm really sorry to hear that, my friend! Keep trying preventative measures and ask your local doctor ;) how you might be able to prevent it... like you haven't already.:D Don't give up without a fight, buddy!

Originally posted by Dario

Snippity-do-da
I am using nitrile gloves now but it is possible that my fingers are still exposed while removing the gloves.

Are the Nitrile gloves from HF? When I blast(glass etching) I live in HF Nitrile gloves. I sometimes blast for 8-10 hrs on various jobs. When I take off the gloves the "powder" has become a green muck. My hands are leathery for a few days after long stints.

You may want to try some gloves that are powder free. Or perhaps switch to some of the polyvinyl gloves.

ashaw

Dario

I hope you stay but most important take care of yourself. I use nitrile gloves for a while but they were give me more problems than solutions. I then tryied the gloves in suppermarkets you know the yellow one for dishes. They work great. I have made about thirty pens so far using the sme gloves. The only problem the thumb is about 30 sizes bigger then it was.
Switch over to plastics for awhile. I can not go never any of the rose woods because of breaking out.

Again take care of yourself.

Alan

leehljp

Member Liaison
One OTHER suggestion: See an allergist and ask if you can bring some small samples of the major woods along with the finishes that you use. If your specific reactions can be isolated, then it might go a long way to keeping you in making pens. I don't know your insurance situation and if your insurance will pay for it, but at least check it out to see if it is possible.

Nolan

Like this Dario? Mine do this like Doc explained, mine are irritating but thats about it. I trade ten cracked fingers a day and trade it in on my leg anyday. Let me know if you find something that helps, glove make mine more iritated it seems.?? Maybe I just dont like them.

2008319132459_DSCF0020.jpg

Nolan

Originally posted by DCBluesman

Nolan - Next time you are going to post a nude of yourself, warn us! [:p]

LOL:D I have three more I can show you if I "un-dress" them. Its gonna cost you though[:I]

Dario

Nolan,

That is very mild. Mine is like 100 times worse than that.

At its worst, picture the finger of a zombie (not the falling off ones)...and you will have an idea what I am talking about.

Currently, my hands are about healed again and not sure if I am willing to risk it once more. I do have some acrylics and may give those a try.

Nolan

Nolan,

That is very mild. Mine is like 100 times worse than that.

At its worst, picture the finger of a zombie (not the falling off ones)...and you will have an idea what I am talking about.

Currently, my hands are about healed again and not sure if I am willing to risk it once more. I do have some acrylics and may give those a try.

Sorry to hear that Dario, like I said mine are mostly irritating, not blistering like you explained but crack and split like Doc did. Mine only get about twice as long as the one pictured. They just crack/split then I put neosporen(sp?) and bandaid on them till they heal. Then do it all over again:D Would a piece of DI burl make yours feel better?:D

Dario

Originally posted by MichaelS

How long did you use the Elidel? It took a LOOOOONG time for it to work on me.

I know it works and it actually is the one we use for my daughter. I just fid that it is much slower than 1% hydrocortisone in my case.

I was told by my "local" doctor that I shouldn't use Elidel and any hydrocortisone creams for extended periods of time.

Same thing is said here http://www.elidel.com/info/elidel_ppi.jsp#2

I normally do it for 5 days to a week and stop. Can't remember now but she told me about giving my system time to re-adjust/correct itself from the effects of the medicine.

I do respond to treatment well but my problem is the recurrence of it when exposed to "whatever" it is while turning.

That said, I just might try it again...I still have some here.

Thanks!

Nolan

Originally posted by n4631x

Would a piece of DI burl make yours feel better?:D

That's what's sad!

I have lots of your premium wood and I might not be able to use them! :([xx(][V] WAAAHHHHHHHHH[B)]

Well just let me know if I can do anything.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Dario, you can do a simple test for yourself and identify the allergens. Put a sample on a bandaid, and then put it on the soft skin on the underside of your upper arm for overnight. If there is a red spot or a welt the next morning, you have identified a culprit. If there is nothing, you have eliminated a possible cause.

Start with a couple drops of cured CA glue. Don't use the accelerator. There will be enough residual after the initial cure to cause a reaction. Follow that with a patch that is wetted with accelerator. Then go with little slivers of wood, starting with Cocobolo. Follow that with a patch test of stabilized woods to isolate the resins, and follow that with every exotic wood that you use.

I'll bet you a pen that you will find the source after the test with the Cocobolo.

The problem with trying to isolate these things without a test is that it may not be caused by the last wood or finish you used, but by the residual dust from a wood or something you used weeks or months ago.

And, it may not be wood related. The binders that hold the grit on sandpaper is also a suspect. Give the sandpaper a test and see what happens.

Dario

Originally posted by RussFairfield

The problem with trying to isolate these things without a test is that it may not be caused by the last wood or finish you used, but by the residual dust from a wood or something you used weeks or months ago.

And, it may not be wood related. The binders that hold the grit on sandpaper is also a suspect. Give the sandpaper a test and see what happens.

Thanks Russ, I'll give the test a go. Residuals from previous turnings could be it also since there are various dusts everywhere around my work area (even though I vacuum after each session).

The sandpaper theory is very possible. That and the CA+accelerator are the ones am leaning on more now because of the areas/fingers affected.

Thanks again!

Tanner

I hope you can figure this out Dario. You have been a great source of information and inspiration! Get to a dermatologist and an allergen.

Dario

For those who are inquiring...I haven't turned a pen for about 2 weeks and my hands are much better.

We will see this coming week because I will have to make some :D.

Thanks guys!

GaryMGg

Dario,
I just caught this thread and all's I can say is I hope you find a solution that keeps you turning. It would be a shame for you to lose the ability to share the beauty you produce.

Top Bottom