Which Emporer? (Marketing related)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As we turn emporer pens, it makes some sense to "name" them. But, think about great empires-Japanese, Chinese, Holy Roman (Catholic), Great Roman. ALL have some very negative connotations.

Has anyone thought of an emporer that is "vanilla" enough to name a pen after? And, if you have a good answer, what color?

The strong red that Lou shows (and I will be posting in acrylic, soon), would logically tie to the Chinese. Do we WANT to tie our high-end offering to CHINA???

Please don't take offense, Lou, I think YOU will understand the jist of my question-now can we have a civilized group conversation about our options and their ramifications???

Let's try!

THANKS!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

From what I've seen in the pictures (haven't gotten my kits yet), the ornamentation it would appear to be Asian-inspired. For me, it evokes Japanese images, though I'm not an expert in Asian art. Personally, though, I'm not much for naming individual pens, but that's just my preference. I'm with Tom; I'll let the kit speak for itself!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
One idea might be to read the description in the catalog which starts out "Celebrate Asian style and flair with the Emperor Pen"

With regards to naming individual pens, I haven't felt the need for that just yet.

wayneis

Actually Ed I like your idea and I'll have to give it some though. I really don't care if anyone else joins as I dought that to many of us really compete.

Wayne

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ashaw
<br />Tom
I think your green jade dragon would look nice on these kits..
[8D]
Already got an order for 2 of them... one in gold and one in black tn
Also working on some new artwork for some of the other alternative stone materials...

Daniel

Ed,
I have thought about this sort of things since I started turnign pens. Giving them my own name. I tried starting with the Cigar line. I once saw Pat (Penlady pat) rename a cigar for an actual cigar. The Monte Cristo I believe.
As for asian figures that would not leave some shadowy recognition. I cannot think of any right off the top of my head. but I can't think of all that many anyway.
one idea comes to mind. "Dynasty" not really named after any Emporer but more about what they represent.
I'll see what I can search up and ad more later.

Daniel

Here is a link to a discussion about Roman Emporers.
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=Emporer&page=11&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D3fdbc63283d5f5e%26clickedItemRank%3D158%26userQuery%3DEmporer%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bearpit.net%252Flofiversion%252Findex.php%252Ft2388.html%26invocationType%3Dnext%26fromPage%3DNSCPNextPrev%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bearpit.net%2Flofiversion%2Findex.php%2Ft2388.html
If that one does not work try this
http://tinyurl.com/ap5tc

coach

I taught early chinese stuff a few weeks ago.

Some of the early dynasties were in order of appearance:
Xia Dynasty
Shang Dynasty
Zhou Dyansty
Qin Dynasty
Han Dynasty

I won't be naming any pens, but thought I would share these with you.

Daniel

I just put a list together. Only as accurate as a quick google search. of both Roman and Chinese Emporers.
the Roman list is fairly easy to read. the Chinese lists Dynasties and such and is much harder to figure out just what is the name of an Emporer and which is the name of a Dynasty. I did my best to decifer the two. no claims to accuracy.
I would copy it to this post but it is 15 pages long.
I will send it as an attachment to those that want it. just e-mail me.

Daniel

Just in case someone else finds it.
I have dibs on "Shi Huangdi" for the name of my first Emporer pen.
Meaning, First Emporer.

wdcav1952

OK, maybe it is a good idea to name special pens. Certainly there is no harm, and it could well appeal to some high end collectors. Forgive the frustrated English major lurking inside of me, but the word is EMPEROR. If someone is interested in an expensive named pen, I really choose to believe that they might prefer the word spelled correctly.

No slight intended to anyone. Also, while I am at it, the problem with some friction finishes is that they LOSE their shine, not LOOSE their shine.

There, my mother, the English teacher, can adjust her halo and sit back down on her favorite cloud. [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />OK, maybe it is a good idea to name special pens. Certainly there is no harm, and it could well appeal to some high end collectors. Forgive the frustrated English major lurking inside of me, but the word is EMPEROR. If someone is interested in an expensive named pen, I really choose to believe that they might prefer the word spelled correctly.

No slight intended to anyone. Also, while I am at it, the problem with some friction finishes is that they LOSE their shine, not LOOSE their shine.

There, my mother, the English teacher, can adjust her halo and sit back down on her favorite cloud. [8D]

She may want to get up long enough to mention "high-end" in this context should be hyphenated. However, my spelling was in error, Sorry.

Daniel

William,
You have no idea how much trouble you just caused me with that spelling correction. I had it wrong everywhere. including my web site. shopping cart and all. I may have had it wrong. but I had it consistantly wrong.

wdcav1952

Wisconsin people are sensitive this year! Maybe it has something to do with Green Bay getting their tail kicked every weekend, who knows? Ed you are exactly right that I lost a hyphen, thank you. However, if you will look at the various threads on the Asian inspired Emperor kit, you will see that you were not the only one to make the mistake, which is why I specifically said that no slight was intended to anyone. (Daniel, if you are likewise offended, please consider my apology extended.)

To maintain the politically correct frame of reference, I would like to apologize to anyone who might make either mistake I referenced at some point in the future. I think that covers all needed apologies; if not, I apologize for the oversight.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
William,

I DO thank you for the correction, but I have seen thousands of errors in these threads, so I guess I WAS overly sensitive. And, I tried NOT to be critical, just return the opportunity to help in proper "Americanized" English.

Perhaps a bigger man would have overlooked this opportunity, but with the number of opportunities I have already overlooked in this thread, the timing was bad.

I thank the number of people who have e-mailed me privately with congratulations on the number of "shots" I have resisted. Perhaps THAT is what made me more reactive than YOUR comment justified.

I am old enough to remember when Green Bay got their butts handed to them every weekend, (reference Bart Starr's last playing days or his coaching days) so that does NOT bother me, now. I said in a thread earlier this year (before the season) that it did NOT matter who wins this division-the whole division stinks!!! The winner will have the opportunity to go to the playoffs and get REALLY STOMPED! However, the Vikings have found SOMETHING to do to stay in the news.

I look forward to your input on all subjects. But, don't forget any hyphens!!! Hope no long-term (hyphenated) offense is taken!! [8D][8D][8D]

Daniel

William,
Positively no offense, usually I don't pay much attention to spelling. likewise my typos or horrid, but I do give a bit of effort to them. but in the case of my web site. well I once had to be corrected, it is site not sight.
actually I appreciate you mentioning it this time as I had it wrong all over my pages. even in an image. now that was a pain to correct. but I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom