Edible pen contest rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Edible pen contest.
For some it is too cold to work in the shop in February. For others this contest is a way to do something fun with family. And for others this contest is just something to make you go, "HUH"
The edible pen contest, a way to express creativity without taking yourself too seriously. The objective is to make a pen using only edible items. It doesn't have to be tasty, but it does have to be safe to eat. It doesn't have to work and unless you can make one that uses a chocolate refill and has beet juice ink it won't be allowed to compete. THe rules are simple and as follows;
1, The pen must be 100% edible. If you had to eat it there can't be anything on the plate when it is done. No toothpicks, skewers, foil, or plastic wrap.
2, The pen has to be safe to eat. No CA glue or raw hamburger.
3, No parts from pen kits.
This is for the whole family, they are allowed to help. It just has to kinda look like a pen. If you manage to use a lathe to make this let us know, the more details, the more fun. Pens can be frozen, raw, baked, candied, and barbecued or anything else that comes to mind. It just has to be 100% edible. Go out and grab what you need, just don't do what I did last time and eat your supplies before you make the pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You can use CNC mills, lasers, dynamite, rolling pins and whatever tools you have at your disposal. If you make a pen out of chocolate covered ants we may ask for a video of you eating it. :biggrin:
As for ink, this contest is mostly about form and not function. Most pen ink isn't considered edible. The pen doesn't have to work, just has to look cool. However if you make a pen that looks cool, works, and tastes delicious you may be crowned ruler of the edible pen contest.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
So I need to use beet juice or chocolate for ink?

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

Or Food Coloring, or Gravy, or Grape Juice, or Nothing at all. It doesn't need to write. If anybody looking at it would know that it is supposed to be a pen AND you can eat it, ya dun good.:laugh:

Chuck Key

As I remember all the entries in the 2011 contest were fabulous and the bags of M&Ms Jeff Powell sent out to the winners were even better!

Chuckie
1st Place 2011 Edible Pen Contest :)

Last edited:
I have decided after much deliberation to allow the use of EZ bake ovens for this contest. If you don't have a daughter or granddaughter that has one you will just have to get by with the large one in your kitchen.
(I'm trying for the most creative bump) :biggrin:

firewhatfire

1st edible attempt off the lathe, lets just say I need to clean my shop really good. Next time I take the lathe outside before trying something like that.

On the upside I found the perfect ink to use and I can get it in many colors.

I have more invested in this event so far than I have in all others combined.:rolleyes: and almost to the starting over point.:bulgy-eyes:

Phil

jmbaker79

Excited about this one for sure! As a cake artist, yall might want to just pack it up and focus on another contest :wink::biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Planning to have your cake pen and eat it too I see.

or as Marie Antoinette would say "ahem" " Let them write with cake!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom