Ebony experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Does anyone have experience turning
Kamagong Ebony? I'm told it's very hard and dense, and it will destroy chainsaw chains quickly.
I have an opportunity to get some, at what I believe to be, a decent price.
However, I don't know if it is really a good price if, it dulls blades.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

John:
Yes it turned little hard , need to keep your tools sharp. I use a skew for all my spindle work and gouge for bowl stuff.

Easy to have grain rip out so watch the flow of the wood grain. Some time you will need to use CA to stabilize loose grain to prevent rip out.

Just another note:There are some shaky people sell, so be careful.

Cheers

Charlie

hokie

John:

Charlie

Do a search for "Kamagong" on this site and you'll see a few threads where people indeed got scammed. I was nearly one of them. One guy got banned and apparently came back with another username to try selling the stuff again, only fulfilling an order or so, or selling garbage versions.

Dieseldoc

John:

Charlie

Do a search for "Kamagong" on this site and you'll see a few threads where people indeed got scammed. I was nearly one of them. One guy got banned and apparently came back with another username to try selling the stuff again, only fulfilling an order or so, or selling garbage versions.

HoKie is correct. I also was one one the turners who got S------ed.

Terredax

Banned
Thanks for pointing me to the threads on the seller.
I didn't read all of the posts or all of the threads, there are several threads but, it seems he scammed several people. I'm sorry that happened to so many.
Fortunately, my source isn't him (I hope), or from this forum.

After some more reading on the wood, it seems it's endangered, and the supplier mentioned it could take up to eight weeks before any becomes available.

I don't want to be an enabler for unauthorized tree removal, just for a pen, that I might not ever get around to making.

It's sad that, we humans (self declared most intelligent species) continually destroy our planet, simply for monetary gain. :frown:

hokie

After some more reading on the wood, it seems it's endangered, and the supplier mentioned it could take up to eight weeks before any becomes available.

Yeah, when I too looked up more information about it (back when I was actually expecting it to come in the mail), I learned it was so similar to Macassar Ebony, that it wasn't worth the trouble to pursue since I already have so much of the Macassar variety. I love me some rare wood and all, but I'm not gonna go through that again for a nearly identical wood.

Top Bottom