Earthquake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Just had a 5.2 earthquake, about 20 miles NE of here. First one I ever felt, shook the house for about two minutes and sounded like a train, picking up pictures that fell off the walls,don't think we had any damage, scared the crap out of us.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I was talking to my dad in Okmulgee when it hit. His monitor started shaking then he realized th whole house was shaking. He slept through the one last night. We used to live in Santa Cruz CA and he said it was stronger than any he ever felt in CA.

OKLAHOMAN

We also slept through last nights, tonights was just upgraded to 5.6 making it the strongest in recorded history in Oklahoma.

seamus7227

I felt it down here, but it was weird, had my headphones on, putting the garage door down and all of a sudden my truck rocked up and down, so I thought maybe I didn't pull it all the way in the garage and the door hit it, but when opened the door back up the truck had plenty of room. Walked inside the house and the kids were freaking out. Pretty crazy

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

sbwertz

Long earthquake story.

Some years ago we were visiting friends south of San Diego. We were picking up some computer equipment so we had the truck and horse trailer. We came back to the motel about 2 am after visiting with our friends, and transferred the computer equipment from the truck to the trailer, then went to our hotel room. My husband teased that he expected the police to come knocking on the door thinking we were smugglers, out there moving boxes in the middle of the night.

About 4 am, we were awakened by loud banging at the door. Of course, he thought it was the police! I grew up in CA. I only came about half awake and he said I just rolled over and said "It's OK, dear, It's just an earthquake. Go back to sleep."

The earthquake hit LA and just about leveled it, but just rattled the doors and windows in San Diego.

IPD_Mr

Roy - we are happy to hear that you and Dee are alright, just a little shaken not stirred. Let's hope that your assessment of no damage holds true once you have a chance to check everything out. Water, sewer and gas lines as well as foundation as previously mentioned.

WIDirt

Earthquake story....

Remember the big quake in LA about 12-13 years or so ago? I used to drive OTR (over the road) in a semi. The day that hit, I was sitting in a parking lot in my truck, my co worker was inside the warehouse we were at.

I was reading a book when I noticed that the truck rocked a bit and the wind had really picked up, the trees were swaying and leaves were falling everywhere. The trailer doors were open and I knew I hadn't latched them in the open position, so I hopped out of the truck. I went straight to my knees! No wind, but the whole freakin' world was shaking! Being from AZ at the time and NV before that, I had never felt a quake, and the since the suspension on our BRAND NEW rig was all air and fiberglass, it had absorbed all but the most minute sensations of what turned out to be the worst quake in many years! I immediately returned to the cab of my truck!!!!

My co-driver ended up in the hospital because all the windows in the office where he had been when it started, exploded all over him and the dispatcher. He got something like 15 stitches. Me, I scraped my knee when I stepped off the truck and fell down.

That was fun........

Last edited:

dogcatcher

We felt it in Abilene, TX, not much but enough to know something was happening. The first quake I was in was in 1969, I had been wounded in Vietnam and was shipped to a hospital in Japan, I was laying in the hospital bed when it hit. Scared me more than being shot at, felt like bombs shaking the ground.

Long earthquake story.

Some years ago we were visiting friends south of San Diego. We were picking up some computer equipment so we had the truck and horse trailer. We came back to the motel about 2 am after visiting with our friends, and transferred the computer equipment from the truck to the trailer, then went to our hotel room. My husband teased that he expected the police to come knocking on the door thinking we were smugglers, out there moving boxes in the middle of the night.

About 4 am, we were awakened by loud banging at the door. Of course, he thought it was the police! I grew up in CA. I only came about half awake and he said I just rolled over and said "It's OK, dear, It's just an earthquake. Go back to sleep."

The earthquake hit LA and just about leveled it, but just rattled the doors and windows in San Diego.

I was in SF when that one hit... if it's the one I'm thinking of... my wife's best friend's parents lived in LA... they took some pretty heavy damage to their place... think that was in the middle '70's.... we divorced in '77 so must have been a year or two earlier.

OKLAHOMAN

Here in Shawnee a Steeple on a church broke off, some homes damaged. Our patio concrete floor had two cracks and the driveway is cracked in a few places, seems to be the extent of our damage.

Top Bottom