Earthquake!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
There was one in Oklahoma last summer and LOML & I felt it in NW Mississippi (450 miles apart). We turned on the Memphis news to see if the New Madras fault was the problem (about 90 miles from our home). Nope, it was Oklahoma.

We had some light rumble but more mild shaking. We had considerable experience with mild and wild quakes when we lived in Japan.

Skie_M

The ground shakes here constantly in Southern Oklahoma... Ft Sill and it's constant artillery practice being a constant thing, morning, afternoons, and occasionally near nightfall. I never even noticed that quake, nor did most of the people around here ... not till they made a big deal of it on the news.

Jgrden

Ask the Californians who live near the San Andres fault line what earth quakes are like. The one in San Fernando Valley in the 60's would have made you do more than fart. heh, heh,heh. Buy property in Lancaster cheap and one day you will have beach front because the State will split along that fault line. However, getting back to your comment, earth quakes in the East are rare, aren't they?

Skie_M

I was laying in a waterbed in Fairbanks, Alaska back in 2002 ... felt a 9.2 and watched the ceiling swaying at least a foot back and forth for a good 20 seconds. I barely felt a thing till I started to think I was seeing things and reached for the bed rail ...

jsolie

Odd timing, there was a 3.8 not terribly far from where my wife and I live. The house didn't shake so much as it reminded me of when the boys would roughhouse upstairs. It did freak the cat out for about 10-15 minutes.

Jgrden

I was laying in a waterbed in Fairbanks, Alaska back in 2002 ... felt a 9.2 and watched the ceiling swaying at least a foot back and forth for a good 20 seconds. I barely felt a thing till I started to think I was seeing things and reached for the bed rail ...

9.2 beats what I went through in Cerritos, Calif. I had a glass of milk on the table, while nursing hangover, and it tipped over. I found my wife under a door sill (supposedly strong place). The other one was in Los Osos, ca. and it knocked stuff off a shelf in the box window over the kitchen sink.

Those quakes are was all the tax payer dollars fo to Cal Trans for; to repair road cracks.
:island: Iti s a way to split:biggrin: California into two states. They have wanted to do this for a long time.

Jgrden

What the heck were you doing in Alaska??:cat:

leehljp

Member Liaison

Was that correct or typo? I remember the 1964? quake in Alaska, and reading about the one in the '50s that caused a dormant volcano to erupt. But I was unaware of a 9.2 in Alaska in 2002. In December of 2004, there was the quake/tsunami of 9+ in the Indonesia area, and the 9+ in March of 2011. We had just left Japan three months before it struck.

I lived about 20 miles, as the crow flies, from the epicenter of the January 17, 1995 Hanshin quake in Kobe, Japan, a 7.2 that killed 6000. That was more than enough shaking for me.

Skie_M

What the heck were you doing in Alaska??:cat:

Uhh .... living there? My dad was in the Army, did 3 tours in Alaska, which actually counts as "overseas" for some reason ...

At that particular time, though, I was helping out at my mom's restaurant, and teaching bible study for some grade school and middle school kids in North Pole, Alaska... I was also the Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors for the New Live Community Christian Church (Korean/American)... both were volunteer positions.

I saw a video some time later on Google Video or Youtube of that quake hitting some permafrost flats under a forest .... the earth was literally moving like it was water, with waves more than 4 feet high .... Also saw video footage of an un-anchored log cabin that had been tossed on it's side from that wave action.

The amount of energy released in a quake of that magnitude is just colossal ... instantly melting dozens of feet or more of frozen permafrost for over 300 square miles and shaking it like a bowl of jell-o ...

Skie_M

Was that correct or typo? I remember the 1964? quake in Alaska, and reading about the one in the '50s that caused a dormant volcano to erupt. But I was unaware of a 9.2 in Alaska in 2002. In December of 2004, there was the quake/tsunami of 9+ in the Indonesia area, and the 9+ in March of 2011. We had just left Japan three months before it struck.

I lived about 20 miles, as the crow flies, from the epicenter of the January 17, 1995 Hanshin quake in Kobe, Japan, a 7.2 that killed 6000. That was more than enough shaking for me.

Hmm .... well, 9.2 was what was estimated in the papers at the time, as I recall ... just went and looked it up. It was actually a 7.9 ... here's a more official report:

M 7.9 Denali Fault earthquake of November 3, 2002

Overview

The largest inland earthquake in North America in almost 150 years struck Alaska on November 3, 2002. It ruptured three different faults ending with a total rupture length of ~330 km. It started on the previously unrecognized Susitna Glacier Thrust fault, a splay fault south of the McKinley strand of the Denali fault system (DFS). Then the rupture transferred onto the main strand of the DFS and continued as a right-lateral strike-slip event for ~220 km until it reached the Totschunda fault near 143oW longitude. At that point, it right-stepped onto the more south-easterly trending Totschunda fault and stopped after rupturing nearly 70 km of it. A team of geologists surveyed the total length of the ruptured faults and reported maximum vertical offsets on the Susitna Glacier Thrust of 4 m and maximum horizontal offsets of 8.8 m west of the Denali and Totschunda fault junction. The estimated magnitude of this earthquake ranges from the body wave magnitude mb of 7.0 to the moment magnitude MW of 7.9 to the surface wave magnitude MS of 8.5. While the fault rupture lasted for approximately 100 sec from its initiation to the arrest, its distal effects were felt for many days. Of the population centers, the hardest hit were the villages of Mentasta and Northway, located at the eastern end of the rupture zone. This event caused significant damage to the transportation systems in central Alaska. The Trans-Alaska Pipeline suffered some damage, but no oil spills occurred. Multiple land slides and rock avalanches occurred in the Alaska Range with the largest slide on the Black Rapids Glacier. The Denali Fault event was felt as far as Washington and caused seiches in pools and lakes as far as Texas and Louisiana. There were reports of triggered seismicity in volcanic and geothermal centers in Washington and California and regional seismicity in Utah. The M 7.9 Denali Fault event was preceded by the magnitude 6.7 Nenana Mountain event on October 23, 2002. Its epicenter was located on the Denali fault 22 km east of the M 7.9 event epicenter. In response to the magnitude 6.7 and 7.9 events, the Alaska Earthquake Information Center (AEIC) staff installed a network of temporary instruments for the aftershock monitoring. The temporary network was dismantled in June, 2003.

Cwalker935

Our Virginia earthquakes are minor in comparison. An updated number puts our recent earthquake at magnitude 2.6. We had one at 5.8 six years ago that damaged the Washington Monument, shut down the North Anna Power Station for several months and was felt as far away as New York. The epicenter for that one was 15 miles or so from my house and knocked stuff off of our window sills and freaked out my wife and dog. I was driving home from work and did not feel that one. I recall reading or hearing that something about our geology causes our eastern earthquakes to be felt over longer distances. We actually have small ones fairly frequently:

Earthquakes in Louisa, Virginia, United States - Most Recent

I can only recall actually feeling 4 of them.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I was in Japanese language school in the downtown area (Ochanomizu) back in '87 or early '88 when we had a quake that broke a few windows at Narita Airport. The building we were in was about 7 or 8 stories and we were on the 2nd or 3rd floor. The building was probably 30 years old. We were always told the in the event of a quake to get under something (a desk) or in the doorway. That quake had a fairly strong intensity (IMO) and I jumped for the doorway. Our Japanese teachers for some reason all headed outside. I followed. They asked me why I didn't get under a desk. I told them that they were Japanese and if THEY felt it necessary to go outside, I was certainly going to follow!. They didn't like my answer. :biggrin:

By the way, the New Madras fault that is about 60 miles or so north of Memphis (from which I thought the Oklahoma quake last summer originated) that New Madras quake in the early 1800s rang the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia.

Last edited:

tbroye

I live in Sacramento and have felt a bunch of the the SF quake during the World Series, one by the Oroville Dam and the Taft/Bakersfield one in the early 50's Wife spent 3 month in Burbank working for the state on housing relief. She was on the 14 of a hotel in SF when a swarm of aftershock hit after the one SF, the phone line were humming that night. I am just glad we don't have Hurricanes and Tornados. Hopefully the big one doesn't hit in my lifetime.

jimmyz

When I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, CA, we had a lot of earthquakes. We also had test missile launches, normally at night. To tell which one it was, we had to look outside and see if we could see the exhaust plume from the rocket. Both made the windows rattle!

TimS124

I rode the 1989 6.9M Loma Prieta quake out on the 6th floor of the tallest buildings in Cupertino, CA (about 25 miles from the epicenter). Beat any roller coaster at the amusement parks!

I lived out there for about 28 years...quakes below 4.0M aren't worth noticing. :)

jsolie

The 1992 Landers/Big Bear earthquakes were pretty good ones. We were living on the second floor of an old duplex apartment in Anaheim. The building wiggled pretty good. The thing I remember best about that early morning was hearing this crazy buzzing from about a block away, then a large explosion and the power went out for quite some time.

The 1971 Sylmar quake was another good one. I can remember seeing the closet doors in my room swinging out and back in several times.

sbwertz

I was in San Diego when the 6.7 quake hit LA in 94. We had come back to the motel late and transferred some computer equipment from the back of the truck to the trailer we had left in the parking lot. That close to the border, I joked with my husband that the police would probably come knocking on the door to see what we were doing out there in the middle of the night.

We were sound asleep when the door started a loud banging. My husband thought it WAS the police banging on the door!

Having lived in Hollister, CA right on the big fault line, my half-awake brain diagnosed "earthquake" and "not bad" (in San Diego, at least) and I rolled over and said "It's OK dear, it's just an earthquake. Go back to sleep." He was rigid for the rest of the night! He won't let me live that one down for a while!

Last edited:
I was in San Diego when the 6.7 quake hit LA in 94. We had come back to the motel late and transferred some computer equipment from the back of the truck to the trailer we had left in the parking lot. That close to the border, I joked with my husband that the police would probably come knocking on the door to see what we were doing out there in the middle of the night.

We were sound asleep when the door started a loud banging. My husband thought it WAS the police banging on the door!

Having lived in Hollister, CA right on the big fault line, my half-awake brain diagnosed "earthquake" and "not bad" (in San Diego, at least) and I rolled over and said "It's OK dear, it's just an earthquake. Go back to sleep." He was rigid for the rest of the night! He won't let me live that one down for a while!

I was working and living in Sunnyvale, CA in the late '70's when Hollister got a 2. something shaker... we had just opened and moved into a new building about a month before and when the shaking started we were in second floor office... managers started yelling "get outside"... the building stood, but the shake was enough to throw our brand new Rhome phone system out of whack.. took a week or more to get it back up and running properly... the main switching system was on a 4x6 more or less base and acted like a computer to tell what extension rang, how long it took to answer the call, how long we talked, who we called, how long it took the other party to answer and how long the conversation was... don't know why management needed all that info, we were a moving and storage company with a separate airfreight/ocean freight operation.

The new building was a 20,000 square foot building with an arched roof made from composite beams...

Top Bottom