Dust health problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

So does anyone other than me have contact dermatitis from wood dust. Been working with our company the past 10 years and it started about 4 years ago. I now have a really red rash over my nose on my chin and on the sides of my face. Its really getting me down cos i'm very concious of it. Some days it isn't very noticeable when other days it drives me potty.
As if that isn't bad enough i also suffer from gastritis [acid reflux]. I'm not long home from hospital where i have a catheter up my nose and down my throat into my stomach to take readings of the acid levels. Its to be left in over night and i've to take an hour long train ride in the morning to get it taken back out.
Any way do any health problems prevent any of you from going out to your workshop to work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

great12b4ever

Well since I have had surgery on my left thumb two weeks ago for the second time in eighteen months, I have had to restrict going into my shop and turning any. I will go out there every couple of days just to rearrange a few things, try to partially organize other things, and ACT like I ma doing something useful, but that is all for another month or so. Sure is hard to do tho, as I have several partially completed projects, and a whole list of new ones to do, not counting the Honey do list to complete, probably in my next life. :D

leehljp

Member Liaison
CA fumes and dust make me have severe flu like symptoms for days and even double vision. I like pen turning as a stress relief and only need it once a week or so (unless there is a special request), so I have had to make a full DC system, use gloves (rubber/nitrile) AND a mask. I thought a good DC system and fan would help but it doesn't get all of it.

It is instinctive that I put on long sleeves, gloves, full face mask and turn on the DC and fan. I have finally gotten used to it. It is either that or give it up.

wudnhed

Originally posted by keithkarl2007

So does anyone other than me have contact dermatitis from wood dust. Been working with our company the past 10 years and it started about 4 years ago. I now have a really red rash over my nose on my chin and on the sides of my face. Its really getting me down cos i'm very concious of it. Some days it isn't very noticeable when other days it drives me potty.

Were you diagnosed with the contact dermatitis? Sounds like this may be something called Rosesea. Makes your cheeks and chin and nose very red. It's also very treatable.

keithkarl2007

I was told it could be they weren't actually sure and didn't seem to care. A friend who works in the same company as i do also has the same symptoms along with a few other lads. It does really get me down as it looks like a big red scar on my face. At its worst its kinda swollen a little and i get terrible dry skin from it. Have tried numerous creams but nothing seems to help. A pharmacist said if it is dermatitis you can't cure it only try to control it

Originally posted by wudnhed

Originally posted by keithkarl2007

Were you diagnosed with the contact dermatitis? Sounds like this may be something called Rosesea. Makes your cheeks and chin and nose very red. It's also very treatable.

I agree with Becca.. sounds like more like Rosesea... I sometimes get a rash from some woods and last week I was using thin CA to stabilize some punky wood... the fumes boiled up into my face and next morning my eyes were swollen and very red and puffy, the left almost swollen shut... the skin now feels very dry almost like burn tissue.. think I wound up with a chemical burn around the eyes.

Top Bottom