Dust Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

:confused: I am a newbie turner and I would like some advice on dust collection. I'm currently turning outdoors, transporting benchtop equipment and lathe outside as needed and as weather permits. However, as winter approaches I would like to do my turning indoors. I am extremely tight on space and would like to set up my Craftsman, 8gal.(4HP) shop vac as a collection device. I've purchased a small hood from PSI (held near the piece via magnet) and the adapter for the hose. I've also upgraded the filter for the shop vac to a hepa version and, added a muffler/noise damper on the back end of the vac. Is this an adequate setup for collecting the "fine" dust particles I've been reading much about & also not "dusting out" our family room? As I said, unfortunately space is a premium so I need to make due. I spoke with the tech at PSI and this was his first suggestion. The second was to go to their compact/portable unit.(less HP) and $$$.
Thanks for any suggestions and yes, I have pondered the idea of turning outside as long as possible and laying low for the winter but if there's another way . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

raar25

First anything is better than nothing so your already on the right track. The thing you need to consider is air volume and particle size are the critical elements you need to target. So don't pay any attention to the HP rating because they are only relative based on some theoretical calculation. What you need to focus on is CFM and micron filtration. The harborfreight 2 HP dust collector I have draw 10x more air than my 6.5 HP shop vac. You will really see the difference 6-12 inches away from the intake port. Also there is no way to draw enough air through the small hose. It is that extra draw that will pull fine particles into the air intake.

So my recommendation is get the grey portable unit from harbor freight and the 1 micron filter bag from Rockler. Keep these under the bench you put you lathe on so it doesn't take up much space. Than put a Y connection on the intake port and run one to you dust hood behind the lathe as you currently have and than put a dust hood infront of the lathe held to the lathe bed with magnets pointing up. This effectively gives you air drafting back away from you and pulling down. This is my set up on my lathe and not only does it keep my shop dust free but it reduces the larger chips that need to becleaned up later.

Than if you want to make the dust handling really effective you add a small 5 gallon vortex to the system to keep you dust collection back from getting filled with the larger debri.

I know I got a little long in the e-mail but dust control is definately somewhat of a science and very important for you health.

e-mail me if you want more detail.

kooster

Thank you for your input. I suspected that HP really didn't play much of a role but wasn't exactly sure. I'll look into that HF model and take it from there.
Hopefully I'll have enought space !!! Thanks again for the advice.

76winger

I've been using a large 20 gal shop vac (don't know the HP off the top of my head) and as mentioned above, it doesn't have sufficient air volume (CFM) either. It gets some stuff, but half of it still ends up all over the lathe, me and the floor.

So definitely, if you want to do it right, get a dust collector of some sorts. There's many low end ones in the 650 CFM range that will work pretty good for one tool at a time all the way up to some with several thousand CFM for handling several tools at once.

Rick_G

For my pen stuff and other small stuff on the lathe I use my rigid shop vac with a hepa filter and an oneida cyclone ahead of it. The cyclone keeps most of the dust out of the vac so I don't need to change/clean the filter as often.

For pens and other small stuff I keep the 2" hose inlet an inch or 2 from the turning. Set up like that I can sand wood that is known for it's smell and I don't smell anything. Biggest drawback is the noise and earmuffs help that.

The larger stuff that this setup misses can be cleaned up with a broom. It's stuff like sanding dust you worry about breathing and tracking around the house.

kooster

Thanks again to you guys for the great advice. The dust tracking around the house is also a huge concern as we'll be upgrading the family room where I'm intending on doing my turning.

edstreet

First 'adequate' NO. 2-10 micron particles is what damages the lungs so wear a respirator still. When you add mufflers, filters etc to shop vac's you are degrading the sucking power so is this setup workable? YES. You will still get this dust cloud build up on everything and depending on what else is in the room it can be messy. What works is a leaf blower or an air hose to blow out the room after every turn.

I use a 4x4 connector with a magnet and put it on the lathe, even that increase is very low sucking power, with a big hood even less.

With all shop vac's you will not be pulling the 2-10 micron size particles out of the air you can get many/most.

Top Bottom