Drill press motor.... 4th of July

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobalouie76

Hi All,
Well I had a feeling something wasnt right....

Lately the motor on my drill press has been making some funny noises and I was wondering if it was going to die on me. Well it did, and not peacefully, it was like the fourth of July in my basement, sparks in every color of the rainbow! Anyhow I was wondering if anyone knew of a reasonable place to get a replacement motor. It is a Ryobi, so not top of the line but an exact replacement is $139.00 and dont want to spend that much.

I am located in northern CT close to the MA border. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Look on the motor for a NEMA or ICA(? international) code. A motor with the same code will be a drop in replacement. The NEMA code will be something like 56H the ICA code can be all over the place.

bobalouie76

It seems the shaft diameter on the old motor is not standard (9/16 or 14mm) so I havent been able to find a replacement. I can only find 1/2 or 5/8 inch. An exact replacement from Ryobi is $139.00, I think the whole thing was either $149 or $199 so I'm having a hard time spending that much on just a motor, not to mention money is tight just like it is for everyone else.

Has anyone else ever seen or heard of an electric motor with that diameter shaft?

nava1uni

You should look on Craigslist for a used DP. You can probably get a nice for for a lot less money. I always see them listed or a garage sale.
I just looked at Craigslist for Connecticut and there are several listed, don't know how close to you, but worth your looking.

Last edited:

Crashmph

You should look on Craigslist for a used DP. You can probably get a nice for for a lot less money. I always see them listed or a garage sale.
I just looked at Craigslist for Connecticut and there are several listed, don't know how close to you, but worth your looking.

Connecticut is not that big. It is like a county in Texas. You could drive it... :biggrin:

But seriously, Craigslist is about your best option for cheap drill press.

This could also be a great time to learn (if you have not already) to drill on the lathe and get better accuracy.

hilltopper46

For mail order, check Harbor Freight, Grizzly and Northern Tool. They all handle stand-alone electric motors. Also, if you can find a similar model DP at Grizzly, it's worth checking to see what their replacement price is on the motor and drive pulley.

Top Bottom