Dr Who

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I used to watch this show as a kid but now pretty much forgot what its all about. Lately while working in the shop BBC has been playing new episodes a lot and now I've maybe seen a few dozen. It seems to grow on me but man is it complicated with him jumping time so much and there's so many villans out to get him. As I try and understand it, it occurs to me that all the villans are actually heros and Dr Who is the bad guy. That's the only thing that makes sense to me now as I try to piece it together. Is that correct? Who is actually a dillusional maniac and the Tardis will destroy the universe? That would make sense to me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Um... Not exactly. There are cases where the "bad guys" are actually good guys. But more of what is going on is the writers are trying to write in such a way that all the episodes tie together. This adds to the complication and confusion.

Now that is not to say there isn't some egotism going on. There most certainly is. But so far, at least, he is still the good guy.... Sort of ;)

If you have specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.

workinforwood

But how can someone bounce back and forth through time and constantly be trying to repair the damage be considered a good guy. All the bad guys say he is ripping time apart and they have to stop him, not because they think him evil but they say he's a threat to destroying the universe. That sure seems to me reverse role playing.

hewunch

Which season have you been watching? Or if you aren't sure who is the actor playing the Doctor?

I get what you are saying. But he has knowledge of how things are supposed to be in the places he is going. Presumably because he has been there before. But frequently something goes wrong and changes the time line.

workinforwood

Another way I see it. I go back in time. I see you Dad on the street and mention a good deal at store down the road. He was going to this store but now goes to other one instead. He met you mother at this store but since he went to other store he did not meet your mom so you don't exist. Purely innocent by me but I changed things in a huge way. That's evil even if not on purpose. Then I think I can fix that with my arrogance and while I do I kill many others or something. Its a never ending cycle. The Dr is a time addict like a drug addict he needs to be stopped!

hewunch

Sounds to me like you are siding with the silence. :biggrin:

Also, they sometime factor into the show, "fixed points" and for lack of a better term unchangeable fate

sbell111

I used to watch Dr Who and enjoyed it a bunch. I no longer watch, however. The reason that I had to stop is because I couldn't dedicate the time required to it. The show simply cannot be watched casually. You have to pay attention to each ep and watch them all in order or you will be lost.

I'll add that trying to sum up a series that has spanned several decades with just a few words is fraught with peril. With each regeneration, the Doctor becomes a very different person. Each of these are naturally going to come at problems from diffeent directions and deal with them in different ways.

I haven't watch it in quite a while, but did pretty regular when my son was growing up...one of his favorite shows... as I remember, he doesn't have any real control over the TARDIS, it pretty much takes him where it takes him and he has to deal with whatever situation he finds himself in. I like some of the later shows better than the earlier ones... they got to be pretty corny with the mechanical monsters always after him... I think I liked Tom Baker best as the doctor.

bitshird

Hans, I think Jeff is becoming a Cyber Jeff , lets us pray the Daleks don't steal his brain, On second thought Exterminate Exterminate.
Hovians Unite>>

Rob73

I think I liked Tom Baker best as the doctor.

Tom Baker was my favorite as well -- When I was a kid I used to crack my bedroom door open @ 11 P.M. on Sunday and peak out at my father watching it in the living room. So I got addicted to the show at a very young age.

I like that they have brought the series back but I do need to download some episodes to catch up.

workinforwood

I'm obviously no expert in Who and haven't seen all the episodes. Seems everyone thinks I'm wrong. Maybe I am, but the masses also said the world is flat. I suppose only the author truly knows. I'm sticking with psychopath. A genius blinded from the horror of his success. Good intentions aren't enough to qualify good guy

gingerwood

Most of the new series of Dr. Who is available on Netflix instant, if you aren't up to appointment watching. There are also some outstanding standalone episode.
Anyone who hasn't seen 'Blink' (series 3 ep 10) should do so immediately.
'The doctors wife' (series 6 ep 4) was written by Neil Gaiman and explains, amongst other things, why the doctors travels are so chaotic.
Jeff, if you want to see your POV at least partially addressed for an episode, check out 'Waters of Mars' (series special 2009)

Why yes, I am a huge Dr. Who geek, why do you ask :)

hewunch

Blink is an AWESOME episode. Also, The Girl in the Fireplace and more recently The Girl Who Waited.

bitshird

Matt Smith is not exactly my favorite Dr. but I have to admit the season finagle was pretty decent, I still like David Tennant, and I also liked Christopher Eccleston. but as a favorite I'd be torn between Tom Baker and David Tennant. with Tennant in a slight lead. I have all of Dr. 9 10 and now 11 on my DVR I just wish I new how to get it to my computer and burn them, because I want to get rid of Dish.

gingerwood

I just wish I new how to get it to my computer and burn them, because I want to get rid of Dish.

Get a roku or other streaming device. I buy my new programming from Amazon on demand and it's way cheaper than cable. You can also get most of the older episodes through netflix on demand.

Last edited:

Rmartin

"Blink" is the best Dr.Who episode of the entire series. It's a standalone ep so you don't need to worry about arcs and such. I loved Dr.Who as a kid and the new series has really stepped it up a notch.

workinforwood

I just saw a documentary on BBC about Dr Who. They interview cast and writers of show. I think ya'll fans better watch it. The black guy, think he's a writer, said Dr who is bad, the guys chasng him are like the Justice League, I kid you not!

workinforwood

There's a green guy head in a rock. Who won't listen to him. He say ask yourself who is Dr Who? The meaning is look at yourself what you've done blinded by your time travels destroyer of the universe your success has concequences you refuse to see and believe. They talk about this in the 30 min documentary

sbell111

I just saw a documentary on BBC about Dr Who. They interview cast and writers of show. I think ya'll fans better watch it. The black guy, think he's a writer, said Dr who is bad, the guys chasng him are like the Justice League, I kid you not!
The show has been around for nearly half a century. Relying on the opinion of one cast member or writer is about as useful as relying on that of one fan (or anti-fan).

bitshird

It was so funny back in the 60's the budget for the TARDIS must have been about $6.75 but it was still a great show even then. I used to consume some illegal substances and watch it, which made it even funnier after all it was the 60's. it's too bad they lost or destroyed so many episodes. Now I want to do a pen with the TARDIS for the cap!!, I've been kicking that one around for a couple of years, Wish I had Jeff's Mill.

gingerwood

Quick & Dirty clearcast :)

1_Tardis1.jpg

Curly

Very cool Tardis pen Mickie. Is K9 next?

I'm a few episodes behind on my watching but plan to spend a few hours this Thanksgiving weekend catching up. Then I have all the Torchwood episodes to watch. :wink:

Rmartin

There's a green guy head in a rock. Who won't listen to him. He say ask yourself who is Dr Who? The meaning is look at yourself what you've done blinded by your time travels destroyer of the universe your success has concequences you refuse to see and believe. They talk about this in the 30 min documentary

That was so last season. They were throwing lots of curve balls until you realize "It's a Wonderful Life".

Last edited:

gingerwood

Very cool Tardis pen Mickie. Is K9 next?

I'm a few episodes behind on my watching but plan to spend a few hours this Thanksgiving weekend catching up. Then I have all the Torchwood episodes to watch. :wink:

I'm not sure that K9 would lend himself to wrapping around the pen the way the tardis does. Better quit while I"m ahead.

I could never get into torchwood. IMHO Jack makes a much better sidekick than lead, though he might have done better if they had made the show a bit more lighthearted.

Curly

You are probably right about K9. Guess that just leaves a kitless sonic screwdriver pen. :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

Last edited:
Top Bottom