Doug Thompson chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BillyBoy63

:) Hello
Does anyone have any of the Doug Thompson lathe chisels?
Witch ones do you have and what is your opinion on them for
pen turning
does the weighted handle have any benefits on control of the
tool?
BilliBoy63

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I have a bowl gouge and spindle gouge from him along with the handles. Both are top notch and I would highly recommend. The handles are nice as well but the tools would work just as well with home made ones. Very nice guy as well and often does a lot of charitable work. You won't be disappointed.

Charlie_W

Two thumbs up on Doug's tools!!
I do have a number of his chisels. Spindle gouges, bowl gouges, bowl bottom gouges, 1/8" parting tool, skew, and a handful of scrapers. I do have a variety of other brand tools that I use regularly that work very well.
As for his handles, for me, they are wonderful! They fit my hand very comfortably. I like the weight as well. Most are 16" with a couple of 20" handles.

A friend tried a couple of my Thompson bowl gouges and thought the handles were too heavy for her. Handles are a personal fit item....just like buying a hammer or a cordless drill....or a pistol....they need to fit your hand for you to be comfortable using the tool....same with lathe chisels.

Find a friend, turning club near by and ask to try them out. If there is a wood turning show near you, Doug may be there as a vendor. He will engrave the handles for you as well as grind any chisel however you like.
Bottom line, great guy and superior products. Many of the professional turners use his tools and have him customize a grind to their liking.

Tools for penturning....spindle roughing Gouge, parting tool and a skew will do most anything you need to do.
Remember, it is the user of the tool who will make it do what they want it to do. Study, learn and practice the cuts you will use....become proficient with your tools.

Good luck!

KenV

Doug sells a small spindle roughing gouge (Mark St Ledger credited) that I find ideal for roughing down all but the more brittle of blanks.

His skews hold edge well.

Gouges are largely a matter of matter style, but his 1/4 inch (US measurement) with a pointy fingernail grind is my go to for details like ornament finials.

TonyL

I have 3 of Doug's and 3 of Dave's (of Dway). I believe them to be both quality tools.

Crayman

I have 2 bowl gouges and the handles, I love them for bowls, the weight does help. I use carbide cutter for most of my pen turning.

Top Bottom