• IMG_2970.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_2970 2.jpg
    IMG_2970 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Where have you been??? I have not seen you post in awhile or i may have just missed it.

Not sure what you are refering to. If it the bubble I bet it may not be deep enough to make a difference.

Crickett

Unfortunately the bubble is sitting right on the feathers so there's no salvaging this blank.

Where have I been? Well, we moved half way across Canada to Saskatchewan, Pete retired and I got a full time job, just got settled in our house so now it's time to get back to casting .... there's nothing like the smell of resin in the morning!

jttheclockman

It goes under the clip and it is all gone:biggrin::biggrin: I know you sell your blanks and this one may not be able to be sold but I would do some experimenting with it to try to correct it. Spin it to size and drill out the bubble and clean it and do a CA fill.

robutacion

this happens .... :mad: So frustrating.

G'day Marla, long time don't see...!:biggrin:

Glad to know you are starting to settling in at your new place, congrats...!

As for that particular blank, it is certainly a shame but, can I ask how many many have you made since the last time you had 1 (one) not coming out as you wanted...? how many hundreds...??:wink:

Sure, that can be a minor fault but I'm sure, any of the guys and gals on IAP would be glad to get it with a little discount, huh..?

Who is up for it...? put your hands up and start typing, quick...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome back!

Several weeks ago I was finishing some segmented blanks and a friend was watching. My failure rate is still about 10-15%. I'm getting better, but it is frustrating. He was surprised at how picky I was being. But when it's going to someone else to finish, close isn't good enough.

Charlie_W

Good to see you are casting after the move!

If this is a Sierra blank, I would clip off the end and use it on a toothpick keychain kit. Toothpicks may not fit anymore but it will make for a salvaged blank and a finished item!

thewishman

Hi Marla, you have had a busy year! Blanks for customers just have to be perfect - yes I feel your pain.

P.S. I hope you're about settled, 'cause I need some more pansy blanks.:):wink:

Crickett

Yes, I'm back at casting again. Loving Saskatchewan, who knew there was such beauty in nothing but flat swampy land! Lots of ducks but I prefer to buy my feathers already detached from the birds.:wink:

With all the sunshine here you guys will need to take the blanks out of your shop and into the bright light reflects off the blank ... a blank that looks "too black" isn't always just black.:tongue:

Eldermike

I was making blanks with polyester resin and printed graphics with the same experience. I don't use a pressure pot and found that the tiny bubbles happened more in cooler weather when the resin runs thicker and takes longer to harden. Worked well in summer months which temps in upper 70+.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Crickett

I was making blanks with polyester resin and printed graphics with the same experience. I don't use a pressure pot and found that the tiny bubbles happened more in cooler weather when the resin runs thicker and takes longer to harden. Worked well in summer months which temps in upper 70+.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Today it's -5C but I'm in a heated garage and I warm up the resin to make it more fluid and cast under pressure. I think I have all my bases covered .... :question:

Crickett

this happens .... :mad: So frustrating.

G'day Marla, long time don't see...!:biggrin:

Glad to know you are starting to settling in at your new place, congrats...!

As for that particular blank, it is certainly a shame but, can I ask how many many have you made since the last time you had 1 (one) not coming out as you wanted...? how many hundreds...??:wink:

Sure, that can be a minor fault but I'm sure, any of the guys and gals on IAP would be glad to get it with a little discount, huh..?

Who is up for it...? put your hands up and start typing, quick...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Good to hear from you George, hope you and Merissa are well.

Hundreds? I wish I would've kept track.

Crickett

Top Bottom