Do you remember part 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I had to do a paper for school on what was one of my fondest memories growning up. I wrote about my father, mother and siblings going to a mobilehome my dad had in Pymatuning State Park in PA. There was no electricy so we listened to Boris Karloff and Alfred Hitchcock the AM radio.
We cooked on a two burner propane camping stove and fished in Lake Erie.
Now it is your turn..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gin N' Tonic

Thomas Pond

My father worked a deal with a friend of his that he would get to use the guy's cabin on the lake in exchange for closing the place up for the winter. My brothers and I had a ball there. We swam and fished. My dad took us out in the rowboat and we caught a bunch of perch and a catfish. Even the family dog came on the trip. One of my fondest childhood memories.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nope....

I grew up late depression/WW II era and we just were not able to do anything of that nature (no money before the war and no gas during). Besides we lived in the country anyway. I do remember walking 3 1/2 miles with my dad to go bullhead fishing. The limit was 15 bullheads and we caught about 12 - 13 each and about a 1 1/2 pound yellow perch. My dad carried them home in a bucket and we walked all the way home to. He would have been about 57 or so at the time. I also remember being thrilled to walk my dad's trap line with him a couple of times.

PenMan1

Ok, here's an EASY one for the youngsters!

Remember Clackers? These were the rage in the 1970s. In essence, these were two hard acrylic balls with about a 12 inch embedded string in each ball.

The object of Clackers was to see how many times and how fast you could make thes balls collide with each other. Of course, the Clackers were held directly in front of the unprotected face!

Is it any wonder we have so many consumer safety laws now? Personally, I'd rather take a midnight trip to the 3-holer during wasp season than to mess with Clackers!

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

Remember Clackers? These were the rage in the 1970s. In essence, these were two hard acrylic balls with about a 12 inch embedded string in each ball.

The object of Clackers was to see how many times and how fast you could make thes balls collide with each other. Of course, the Clackers were held directly in front of the unprotected face!

Is it any wonder we have so many consumer safety laws now? Personally, I'd rather take a midnight trip to the 3-holer during wasp season than to mess with Clackers!
In our area they called them "Ganip-Ganops" or something like that. They would shatter from time to time. Never heard of anyone being hurt with them though.

Probably no more dangerous than the shooting stones at each other with slingshots that we did routinely though. Of course nobody "sold" us the slingshots - we got a piece of leather a couple of pieces of rubber innertube and a crotched stick and made our own.

Last edited:

Chasper

My first experience pouring PR was making clackers. Take about 14 inches of black string, tie a knot on each end and loop a plastic ring in the middle. Put the two knotted ends in a mold and pour in the resin. The molds were very thin glass that were made to cast grapes to make artifical fruit. The molds cost .09 each and we broke them off the castings when it hardened. I made them in my dad's garage and sold them at gas stations (before they were convienence stores), drug stores and street corners. No libality insurance an no gurantee, lots of them shattered.

Last edited:

Woodlvr

Andy you are old remembering clickers. :eek: I was stationed overseas during the 70's but I remember them. I am glad that my boys were not born yet when they came out.

ctubbs

We would get into cow-poop-corncob fights. The ammo was found in the lot buried in the first part of the name, only we were not that politically correct in nameing. There was a certain thrill in having a big jucy hybrid cob catch you up the side of the head and not go completely black. But when the crab apples were just the size of a big shooter, (if you were a boy, you knew what shooter or if lucky steelly was) we gathered up buckets full of them and trimmed up a limber stick about 3 feet long with a good sharp point on the little end. Stick an apple on the point and with a good sharp snap, throw that apple at your buddy's head. What a wonderful sound to hear the apple crush on his body somewhere. Usually though, while you were sighting up your friend, someone else was fireing one at hour head. WOW! Did we ever have fun! Today we all would be arrested and sent to juvie.
Charles

randywa

I liked the Lawn Darts better than the Clackers. There's nothing like throwing them over the house at each other.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmm

We would get into cow-poop-corncob fights. The ammo was found in the lot buried in the first part of the name, only we were not that politically correct in nameing. There was a certain thrill in having a big jucy hybrid cob catch you up the side of the head and not go completely black. But when the crab apples were just the size of a big shooter, (if you were a boy, you knew what shooter or if lucky steelly was) we gathered up buckets full of them and trimmed up a limber stick about 3 feet long with a good sharp point on the little end. Stick an apple on the point and with a good sharp snap, throw that apple at your buddy's head. What a wonderful sound to hear the apple crush on his body somewhere. Usually though, while you were sighting up your friend, someone else was fireing one at hour head. WOW! Did we ever have fun! Today we all would be arrested and sent to juvie.
Charles
We didn't have the cow flops, not dairy country where I grew up, but we did have apple trees that nobody claimed. I had an old steel casting rod that the end had snapped off. It was as great for throwing apples as it had been for casting fishing lures.

I got to go with my Dad every sunday to a lake with a cabin and meet some friends there and even camp at the lake in the summer and get some bug bullfrogs and have froglegs and bacon/eggs for breakfast... miss those times.. dad is now 87 so camping is out...

SDB777

Remembering that it was a special day when we could ride in the back of the pick-up(standing up leaning on the cab) for the ride to grandma's place at the lake for the end of the year 'get-together'(LaborDay).

Scott (we turned out just fine) B

randyrls

MY dad and I build a 30' x 40' cabin on the Susquehanna river. The only thing we bought for the cabin was the tar paper for the roof and screening for the enclosed porch. Everything else was scrounged or traded for.

My dad drove delivery for a living and knew every neighborhoods garbage pickup night. We picked up rugs, old furniture, windows, doors.

One night we picked up a small china hutch. Painted a color I called "puke green". When home dad asked me to remove the curved top door, drawer, and lower door. I tapped the top door panel and realized it was beveled glass. When we cleaned off all the paint, we realized it was solid oak and cherry. My mom said, "That isn't going over the river!" It was in our dining room for many years and now sits in my dining room.

OKLAHOMAN

Being born in NYC and raised in Tampa two things come to mind. In the Bronx playing stick ball in the street with traffic and then we moved to Tampa when I was 12 and leaving the house walking to MacFarland Park and playing pick up baseball on real grass with real baseballs and bats, not Spaldines( tennis balls with the hair removed) and broom sticks.

shadetree_1

Going to the Agua Fria River in Mayer Arizona ( when it had water) with my dad and my little brother when I was 10 and my brother was 6 and panning for gold and when we got tired of that (dad didn't) building a dam across it and making a swimming hole ( about 16" deep) and spending the Whole day just having fun and maybe if we were lucky catching a rattlesnake or two to take home and skin and then walking 6 miles home, to have those days again would be heaven !

BKelley

Gosh, you fellas were lucky, I grew up in a rural area during the depression. We made tractors from Grandma's thread spool, a rubber band and match sticks, Pop guns from cottonwood were great. We also made helicoptors by cutting a propeller from a Prince Albert can, a stick and a thread spool. The only clackers I knew of were getting hit upside the head with a green pine cone. Now that made one heck of a CLACK!! Would not trade the era I grew up for any other.

Ben

PenMan1

Gosh, you fellas were lucky, I grew up in a rural area during the depression. We made tractors from Grandma's thread spool, a rubber band and match sticks, Pop guns from cottonwood were great. We also made helicoptors by cutting a propeller from a Prince Albert can, a stick and a thread spool. The only clackers I knew of were getting hit upside the head with a green pine cone. Now that made one heck of a CLACK!! Would not trade the era I grew up for any other.

Ben

Ben:
One of my wife and my prized items is a "bookshelf" made entirely from thread spools and 3 small pieces of 1/4 inch wood. It was made by my Wife's grandfather. It was made to hold the only two books in the house: The King James Bible and the Sears & Robuck Catalog.

I guess both PenWife1 and I grew up lucky, as we both had everything we needed and MOST things we wanted.THE thing that we are MOST thankful for is that all of our parents and Grand Parents stressed the importance of honesty, in WORKING HARD for what you get AND living within our means.

For those reasons alone, We will always be indebted to "The Greatest Generation". Maybe the latest run of economic difficulty will help the coming generation become a little more frugal, but somehow, I doubt it!

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Memories....

Ben

Ben:
One of my wife and my prized items is a "bookshelf" made entirely from thread spools and 3 small pieces of 1/4 inch wood. It was made by my Wife's grandfather. It was made to hold the only two books in the house: The King James Bible and the Sears & Robuck Catalog.

I guess both PenWife1 and I grew up lucky, as we both had everything we needed and MOST things we wanted.THE thing that we are MOST thankful for is that all of our parents and Grand Parents stressed the importance of honesty, in WORKING HARD for what you get AND living within our means.

For those reasons alone, We will always be indebted to "The Greatest Generation". Maybe the latest run of economic difficulty will help the coming generation become a little more frugal, but somehow, I doubt it!
That jogs a memory too. While we never had anything made from thread spools in our house, I do recall people collecting spools from everybody they knew to make one and many folks in town had booksheves or knick-knack shelves from them. My mother used to save all of her empties because she wanted to have some to give when her friends would be collecting.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mom' button tin

About the only thing I have of my mothers is her tin of buttons. My mother never threw away a piece of clothing with buttons still attached or a button. She had a tin about 9 inches square and 3 inches deep and all buttons of any sort went in there. I have it now. We never need to buy a button, there always seems to be one to match whenever we need one.

WHSKYrvr1

The Clackers I remember were made out of glass. If you got tired of using them they way they were supposed to be used, they would wrap around the power lines.

I have often sat down and wondered if our children could survive in our childhood. No cell phones, a B&W TV with 13 channels and only 3 or 4 of them got any reception. The TV did have a remote, Dad tell would you to get up and change the channel. No microwave. You had to rely on your imagination to have fun.

Just something else to ponder about.

shadetree_1

Or a belt on your butt, or you had to go out to the willow tree in the back yard a get a switch and if you brought in a little one, dad went back out and got a big one, guess which one he used on your butt?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
LOL

I can remember all the way back when if you mouthed off to your parents, you got a smack not a time out period.
My kids can remember back that far. And "because I said so' - was adequate reason to do something or stop doing something. The answer to "Why?" was "Because I'm the mommy."....

76winger

I had some of those! I was early teens then and thanks to those I frequently had nice bruises around my arms, just behind the wrists. They would go pretty well until I decided to get crazy and see how fast I could make them go.

Top Bottom