Do you PREPARE for Halloween?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Do you prepare for Halloween - decorations or other scary scenes?

Ed (edicehouse) posted at this thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/trick-treat-possible-argument-151213/
and it made me think of when I was in Tokyo from 86-91.

Living in an area of west Tokyo with internationals, Trick or Treating teens became common. Since we were dealing with teens as much as kids, I got into the game mood there and in '88 began to prepare with pranks. My kids said that I terrorized the neighborhood.

Here is what I did:

'88: I dressed as a scarecrow. Boots, gloves, ski mask, hat and straw sticking out of shirt over gloves, out of pants over the boots, out of the hat over the ski mask. I sat by the door in kind of a contorted position like a straw man would be positioned. People would come up to the door - small kids would be scared - I didn't bother the small kids, but when a teen or adult with their kids would touch me, I would grab them! Talk about screaming and running! It was FUN!

'89: I got a large heavy duty black plastic trash bag an a giant balloon and made it like a ghost. I positioned it above the door. Of course people knew what it was and they came up, half looking up and half looking at the door for trick or treating. I stood off behind a tree with a rope (rope was black). As they pushed the door bell I would let it fall on them. Some ran off, but for the ones that stayed, LOML would open the door and give them some candy.

'90: I had a large 4wheel drive RC (radio control) truck (about 22 or 23 inches long and about 1 foot high). I made a screen body to look like a spider and covered with paper mâché , painted it black and then added 4 wire legs on each side. It looked exactly like a giant spider. The wire legs just touched the ground. The legs made it look like a spider moving. I positioned in the driveway near the door and I hid behind a tree. People would come up cautiously expecting something (our house was known by this time.) I didn't move the spider as they came up but I would chase them after they got the candy. Some dropped their candy as they ran away.

We moved after '90 into traditional Japanese neighborhood where they did not trick or treat, so I didn't do it anymore. My kids still talk about what their dad used to do. Just last week on FB, some of our international friends reminded LOML of how I used to "terrorize" trick or treaters in west Tokyo.

Do any of you have any Trick or Treat stories?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
We hosted 7-8 adult colleague Holloween Parties about 10-15 years ago; 20-30 folks attending. Lots of good memories.

Let's see for our parties... Themes: Shrek's swamp creatures; Disney Princesses/Princes; Assorted Monsters; Couples Costumes; Vampire Fest; Pirates/Wenches...

However, we live about 300 yards back in dense woods (we're pretty antisocial :rolleyes:). In 20 years we have had ZERO kids test our spooky woods! Maybe the 5' spider hanging in the driveway entryway (i.e., Lord of the rings Forest Event) didn't encourage after-dark visitors... :eek:

A few years ago I finally got rid of the party props... including the 6' coffin that held dry ice for the beer chest (and water, Sodas, and non alcoholic drinks). The inside had a routered plaque... Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse... Who remembers? All with blinking lights and a black velvet interior. Ah, for younger days...

Lucky2

We used to get into halloween get -ups, and we would interact with the kids. It was great fun, we no longer do it as there's no kids in the area. Tonight we had just two kids show up for treats, they were our nieces kids who are here more then they are home.
Len

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I usually start decorating for xmas around Halloween. Pretty boring holiday for me. I usually spend a few hours overtime at work getting stuff done. I don't buy candy as I never see any kids in the neighborhood.

Top Bottom