Which do you prefer...Maple Burl or Curly Maple?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which do you prefer for pens?

• 1. Maple Burl

Votes: 51 63.8%
  • 2. Curly Maple

Votes: 29 36.3%

• Total voters

Dario

Just wondering which of these two wood "feature" you find more appealing for pens.

I originally was going to try general burl or curl but it would be tougher.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Chuck,

We are voting...the software doesn't let you do the poll before posting though so there is a few seconds (or minutes) lapse before the poll shows.

bad

Dario:
There is a company that processes curly maple in Quebec, Canada. This product looks spectaular when turned into a pen. What they do is put the wood into a big kiln and vacuum the air out of it. They then heat the kiln up to between 150 and 300 degrees C. The wood doesn't burn because the air has been vaccumed out. The wood does get toasted. The process is called torrafaction (probably spelled wrong). I have since found out that this is the same process that some companies use for processing coffee beans. This is IMHO much nicer than burl.

jskeen

In general, and for maple in particular, I prefer true burl, IE having closed eyes and no straight grain, for pens. Now for flatwork, all the different varieties of maple; fiddleback, curly, birdseye, have their place, but on something as small as a pen, the stripes or curls just don't have the wow factor of burl. YMMV, but he did specifically ask for opinions.

cozee

Well, I guess it would depend on the individual piece. I have seen burls that do not come close to a super curly piece, and vise versa. All in all, I'll take super curly every time.

workinforwood

Hmmmm...see if it's just a plain ole blank,then a burl is best, but if you are decorating it in any way, either through segments or pentarsia, then I'd have to vote for curl because a curl will add to the blank without overwhelming it.

mrburls

Burl is my favorite for turning pens. And dying them makes it even more fun. Curly maple also is a favorite for furniture and small boxes. You can really make that curly pop in a quality piece of lumber.

Keith "mrburls"

gmcnut

I like curly maple. Especially when dyed. I've had good luck using Sharpie markers to do this.

Top Bottom