Do you collect pop tabs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

My company is having a little "contest" to see which department can collect the most pop tabs - that will then be donated to Ronald McDonald house.

Do you have a can/bag/box full that you've been saving?

If you have at least a pound of tabs - I'll make a trade - send me your pop tabs, I'll send you some random pen blanks, most likely will be something grown in Texas (pecan, mesquite, walnut, etc)...if you've got a BUNCH, then we can work out something...maybe a few box, bowl or spindle blanks....maybe I could spare a blank or 2 of Texas Ebony from my stash...

Send me a PM if interested - and I must receive the tabs by the end of March, this year.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Not to rain on your attempt, Here is the truth about the pop top collecting. collect change from each department and they will thank you more! That is one of the longest standing myths, on and off the net! To put this in even clearer perspective, 100 pull tabs have a scrap metal value of about 3½¢. A million pull tabs have a recycle value of about $366 U.S. And that's before you factor in what it costs to collect, store, and transport them to a recycling center which will pay cash for them. When you consider the time and effort it takes to collect a million of anything, it's a wonder anyone would go to all that trouble for a mere $366. Far better to ask everyone you know for a penny in place of each pull tab they would have given you — at least then when you were done collecting your million, you'd have $10,000 to donate to your charity. Seeing as how folks were bound and determined to collect pull-tabs for charity, in 1987 McDonald's found it a good idea to get into the act. Their Pop Tab Collection program is a response to pull tab mania, and Pull tab removal it at least provides folks with a place to dump the tabs they've been hoarding over the years in the belief they could use them to purchase dialysis time for an ailing child. Tabs dropped off at various McDonald's are taken to a local recycling company, and the money made from selling them for their scrap value is given to the local Ronald McDonald House to help defray operating costs. (Ronald McDonald houses are inexpensive family lodgings located near hospitals. Families of sick children stay there so as to be close to their hospitalized child. Typically, it costs the house $40 a night a room to operate and families are asked to make a donation of $10 a night when they stay. The shortfall is made up through various charitable endeavors, of which the pull-tab collection and recycling program is but one.) The Bottom Line: No charitable organization will pay out a premium (in cash, goods, or services) for pull tabs from aluminum cans. Some of them will indeed accept donations of pull tabs, but all they pay (or receive) in exchange for those tabs is their marginal value as scrap aluminum. Anyone gathering pull tabs for charity would do far better to collect whole cans; accumulating nothing but pull tabs is like eschewing quarters in order to collect pennies. snopes.com: Pull Tab Redemption Rumor Collect pennies or change and give that to them! :clown:

PTsideshow

It is clear that you didn't read the information. The pull tabs are worth .03 1/2 cents per 100 tabs. By giving them pennies or spare change you could raise more money for them.

Top Bottom