Do the ads do this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

I have a problem with the forum crashing on me numerous times a day. I get the whirligig of death for a minute or so and then a box informing me that the browser has stopped working and I have to close it. It seems to be because of a "long script" being run. I suspect the ads. Once I've hung around long enough and can get rid of them will this stop? Or is it a design feature that I have to deal with?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
You should not see any ads if you are logged in. Ads are only visible to non-members (not logged in) that visit the site. Does this only happen when you visit the IAP or does it happen on other sites also? Have you tried a different browser? Even if you visit without logging in, and you are getting ads, they should not be crashing your browser.

pshrynk

Ironically, when I clicked on the tool bar to check out Chuck's suggestion, it did it again. I re-logged in using his suggestion, as I cannot remember if I had clicked that or not.

As to why I see the ads -- Apparently one has to be a member for more than 6 months and post more than 50 times to opt out of them. So I have to wait until May, I think.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I was not aware of the time / post restriction. I'm sure tht Jeff will be making his rounds later. He will be able to answer your question.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
You should not see any ads if you are logged in. Ads are only visible to non-members (not logged in) that visit the site. Does this only happen when you visit the IAP or does it happen on other sites also? Have you tried a different browser? Even if you visit without logging in, and you are getting ads, they should not be crashing your browser.

Members joining since July 2013 see ads in limited areas.

HERE is a page that explains the advertising policy.

The key phrase is: "After you've been a member for 6 months and made 50 posts, you can request that advertisements be hidden from pages you view. Of course, you may continue to tolerate the ads, as every page view on which the ad is displayed puts a tiny fraction of a cent in our pocket. We try to make it as non-annoying as possible, so if you can tolerate it, thanks! If not, we completely understand."

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Ironically, when I clicked on the tool bar to check out Chuck's suggestion, it did it again. I re-logged in using his suggestion, as I cannot remember if I had clicked that or not.

As to why I see the ads -- Apparently one has to be a member for more than 6 months and post more than 50 times to opt out of them. So I have to wait until May, I think.

I'm not sure what the issue could be with your browser hanging. I access the forum pretty frequently :biggrin: from different platforms, with different browsers, with my admin account as well as standard user test accounts and I don't experience the problem. So my initial thought is that it's not a server side problem, but I'm happy to work with you to explore the problem.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have a problem with the forum crashing on me numerous times a day. I get the whirligig of death for a minute or so and then a box informing me that the browser has stopped working and I have to close it. It seems to be because of a "long script" being run. I suspect the ads. Once I've hung around long enough and can get rid of them will this stop? Or is it a design feature that I have to deal with?

Does your browser give you an opportunity to debug the failing script? Many do. If you can give me the code snippet it shows you, I can investigate where that code is coming from, us or Google.

pshrynk

Unfortunately it just kicks me out. It may be an enterprise problem and not a browser problem. Mother Mayo tends to be a bit oppressive in their monitoring internet traffic for "stuff" and forum software might be on the list. I'll wait until I can turn the ads off, no problem. I was just curious of anyone else had this problem and the ads going away had fixed it, that's all.

campzeke

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies. I also switched to Chrome as my default browser and a lot of those annoying little problems went away.

Rick_G

Are you using firefox. I know I have run into this problem with firefox in the past on some sites and still do occasionally. It went away for a while then seems to have started again with the last "upgrade".

pshrynk

Yeah, Mother Mayo tends to frown on us introducing anything but approved browsers to their machines. But I'll try the cache and cookies thing. I tend to forget to do that often enough.

Are you using firefox. I know I have run into this problem with firefox in the past on some sites and still do occasionally. It went away for a while then seems to have started again with the last "upgrade".

I use Firefox exclusively and have no problems with this generally... I have had a crash on some sites, but attribute that to the site and not to the browser.

Top Bottom