Discussion on "Report a thread to the moderators"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
This is a place to discuss this new feature. You will find details at the top of each forum in the form of a sticky. Feel free to share your thoughts on this new "feature".

Curtis O. Seebeck
IAP Moderator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Curtis,
I for one like it. I know it is still a judgment call for the Moderators even after being notified but I think it will be a help to keep the discussions on a higher level. The truth is, everyone of us would probably pick a different place or time to lock some of these threads and we just have to accept what the Moderators decide and realize that someone has to make the decision and on IAP it is the Moderators. I think it's a great move. Be courageous!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Awesome idea. In the long run, can you just make it a button or link at the top of each thread rather than having us try to remember the email address to send it too?

GK

BigShed

Originally posted by gketell

Awesome idea. In the long run, can you just make it a button or link at the top of each thread rather than having us try to remember the email address to send it too?

GK

I agree with Greg, could be easier by having a button.

On an Australian forum of which I am a member there is a facility to click on an icon (bottom line, right most icon) to report a post to a moderator.

2008496214_SP32-20080409-155647.jpg

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
At this time it is a very arduous task for Jeff to add the button. It takes a mod to the software and Jeff says it is not very reliable and would take more work than he has time for at this time. That is why I came up with this idea. This is meant to make us more accessible to the members but not too accessible! If you have to remember the address or go look it up, it may help keep people from yelling wolf everytime anyone sneezes! At least that is the thought process!

Randy_

There has been a need for a "REPORT" button for quite a while and I commend your effort, Curtis. Sadly, I agree with the previous posters who suggest the procedure is a little cumbersome and probably won't get much use. I have a couple of ideas and will email you. I understand that Jeff's time is limited; but maybe there is something to be done that won't take up too much of his time.

DocStram

I reckon I thought people know who the mods are and how to contact them. I reckon I was wrong. With that being the case, I think the "Report a Thread to the Mods" is a good idea. Sorry to see that we need it.

M

Mudder

Hooray!

At one time there was a place that you could go to see who was a moderator for which forum but it went away some time ago.

I believe this is a big step in the right direction and I say bravo!

Chasper

Thanks for setting this up and I'm sorry to see that it is needed.
I appeal to all posters to turn down the intensity a notch, avoid being inflamatory, and don't take everything so seriously. I come here to learn a few things, throw out my opinion now and then, philosophize occasionally, and have some fun. I get what I want here and I ignore the rest.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working on a better solution as time permits. Thanks to Curtis for coming up with a workable solution that requires only a small effort on the part of the person reporting the problem.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by jeff

Originally posted by Mudder

Hooray!

At one time there was a place that you could go to see who was a moderator for which forum but it went away some time ago.
It's right on the main forum page:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/default.asp

Under the column that says "Moderator(s)"

Well, I must be blind because I don't see a column that says "Moderator(s)"

Texatdurango

Well since this a discussion, here is my opinion.

I think the last thing we need is yet another sticky at the top of each forum. Has this forum degraded to the point that we need instructions on how to quickly blow someone in if they say something we disagree with or for offending our sensibilities?

I think this forum has been invaded by a bunch of people who would rather argue and correct each other over the most trivial, inconsequential issues rather than talk about making pens. Rather than coming here to simply discuss pen making I believe there are several people with personal agendas who delight in keeping things stirred up because they are bored with talking about pens all the time!

Perhaps it's just me; perhaps it's time to get away from all this nonsense and move on to calmer waters! I never knew pen making was so chaotic![xx(]:(

IPD_Mrs

Monty, you and I both need to go see Jeff's eye doctor. We both must be blind. [8D]

George, I understand your point but with 5000 members from several nations, ages from say 12 to 90 (Doc's the 90 year old[}:)]) and lets not forget the social and economic ranges of folks as well, there will be times that it is needed.

In the 9 months Linda and I have been here, there has been very few blow outs on here and that is a testament to the folks on here.

Mike & Linda

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Monty

Hooray!

Well, It appears that at least 2 of us have the same problems. Anybody else?

20084916189_forum.jpg

Here is a screenshot of what I see. What am I doing wrong?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Re moderators:

As a child I ran to my mom when someone "hurt" me ---- once!

She responded, "Go fight your own battles!"

I learned that FIGHTING battles was, generally, only necessary if you allowed a "discussion" to get REALLY nasty. So, I developed the ability to negotiate a reasonable settlement, or walk away BEFORE it got really ugly.

To those who had parents or teachers or mentors who were willing to "intercede" on your behalf ----- sorry, you were never forced to learn this, but it MAY NOT be too late.

NOW, you can run to a moderator OR YOU COULD LEARN SELF-CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Resolve differences in Private messages, PLEASANTLY WORDED!!

Sorry, I'm not in "old diapers" yet. But I AM out of the other diapers.

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

Same here - no Mods in my view

For all of you "non-see-ers"

- What browsing program are you using? (I have IE 7)
- What screen resolution do you have your monitor set to?
- Make sure you are not seeing a cached copy... press F5 to refresh the screen.

GaryMGg

Originally posted by Texatdurango

...Rather than coming here to simply discuss pen making I believe there are several people with personal agendas who delight in keeping things stirred up ...
[}:)]
I was gonna talk to you about that George. It really needs to stop. [}:)] [:eek:)]:D:D ;)

I have a skewed opinion of this new feature compared to my friend Ed Brown.
I don't view it as having Mom intervene; I see it as an advisory notice to the caretakers and I believe and expect it's something that should be used most sparingly.

Some things don't belong on this forum. Politics, religion, and bashing certain individuals on a regularly-scheduled basis.
All kidding aside, I'm serious about the first two: politics and religion have no place on this forum. Those are the rules of the forum.
However, some folks can't or won't distinguish when their post crosses that line. The Moderators can't read every thread and there isn't a heuristic algorithm running in the background vetting submitted posts. So, it's up to members to notice these things and inform the Mods that there's something which appears to cross the line vis-a-vis the accepted use policy.
Nowhere have I seen any statement saying a Moderator shall respond to every notice with an affirming action. It is, I expect, and advisory notice asking a Mod to look at some thread and make a determination. And, while IMNSHO it should be used extremely infrequently, I believe it does have a place.

Anyone wanna dare to disagree with me?!?!?!? :( :D;)

jhs494

Originally posted by Monty

Hooray!

Don't feel bad I can't seem to find it either!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

Same here - no Mods in my view

For all of you "non-see-ers"

- What browsing program are you using? (I have IE 7)
- What screen resolution do you have your monitor set to?
- Make sure you are not seeing a cached copy... press F5 to refresh the screen.

Using Fire Fox, resolution 1280X1024, and hit F5 numerous times.

jhs494

Everybody see it now? Sorry, it was turned off for general viewing. I just turned it back on.

I see it now! I must have stared at that page for 15 minutes going crazy. I figured it was time for an eye exam.;)

Thanks for fixing it Jeff.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Everybody see it now? Sorry, it was turned off for general viewing. I just turned it back on.
Yup, It's there now. Guess I don't need my eyes examined after all (sometimes still not sure about my head though).
Thanks Jeff.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Fellows, trust me, not every notice that we receive, if any, will be dealt with as the sender thinks it should. Some will like our actions, some will not. That is the nature of the job. This is just a wasy to help keep our eyes open. There is one particular member here that frequently sends a note to Jeff or myself asking us to look into a topic. As a moderator, I really appreciate that extra set of eyes. This is a way for everyone that is interested the longevity of IAP to help out.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by gerryr

Hey, I remember that from when I first joined. Somewhere along the line it went away.

I know that I have a chemical imbalance but I thought the new medicine had it under control. You guys had me thinking that I had really gone off the deep end. Glad I'm just crazy and not insane ;)

Top Bottom