Disadvantages of New Firefox Version

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. . A few days ago, they came out with a new version of the software and I was "upgraded" automatically .... I don't know if I could have opted to reject the "upgrade".

I am not at all happy .... two main reasons that I have discovered so far ...

1) the Restore Previous feature does not work, certainly not as before.

I like to power down my computer at night and I got used to using the "Restore Previous" after powering up on the following morning. . I find that now, when I power down, my day's history of useful websites to connect to is lost. . (Perhaps there is an option for history that I am overlooking).

I now have to restart each website (which I was using the previous day) every morning after powering up. "Restore Previous", if existent now, does not work the same ... and I can't even find that option which previously was almost completely obvious.

2) a "search" feature I had grown to depend on has been removed. . For example, when looking at a page of my Private Messages, I used to be able to search for a particular IAP member name, or a key word in the title of their message. . To do that, there was a pull down option list in the upper right corner of the screen which included a "Find" option. . That seems to no longer exist and I am annoyed about that.

Anybody care to comment ?

If I want to express my displeasure to Mozilla is there a way to do this and would anybody support me on these issues (or others) ?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I'm using FF 43.xx
I plan on keeping it, so I disabled auto updates.
I still say Netscape was the best browser ever made.
IE is total junk.
So is Chrome, Opera, and all the other pretenders.

:mad::rolleyes::)

randyrls

Mal; Press <Ctrl-F> for the find option; or <Cmd-F> on Apple.

The find option shows up as a toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Type to search, and press up and down arrows to search previous and next.

I tend to agree with you. The latest version looks "clunky". I think they are making it easier to use on cell phones where the screen is too small to see details. And also it is difficult to maintain and develop separate versions for PC, Mac, Android and Apple.

You can always go back to earlier versions by uninstalling Firefox and loading a previous version. Save your Firefox profile (bookmarks, history, passswords, etc) separately in case anything goes wrong

geek speak mode on
Firefox and other browsers can use CSS and Javascript to load differing layouts and images in the browser. That is why some websites look different depending on the device you are using. Maybe it is time to extend this functionality to the browser itself so the browser looks different depending on the device it is running on.
geek speak mode off

2) a "search" feature I had grown to depend on has been removed. . For example, when looking at a page of my Private Messages, I used to be able to search for a particular IAP member name, or a key word in the title of their message. . To do that, there was a pull down option list in the upper right corner of the screen which included a "Find" option. . That seems to no longer exist and I am annoyed about that.

Last edited:

BCnabe

Agreed - I don't like it either.

As for restoring the previous session that is possible.

Go to "tools" and then "options". Near the top there is a section called "when firefox starts". Make sure you choose "Show your windows and tabs from last time".

duncsuss

Preferences ... Privacy and Security ... History ... Clear History when Firefox closes ...

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 8.04.36 AM.jpg

MTViper

Dumped Firefox several years ago. Now I use Opera and I'm very happy with it, especially when I get popups that say "We see you're using an ad blocker. Would you like to turn it off so you can get full use of your site?" I always click "No" and go on. I'm very happy with Opera.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
I use Opera as my go to. I have tabs for sites I visit often and click on them and there you are. Have IAP for sale forum and home page as 2 separate tabs. Fast and easy.

Rounder

If you go to the bookmark icon at the top - III\ - click on it then bookmark tools, you can add the star to the toolbar and it will look more like it did in the previous version.

sbwertz

After using firefox as my browser for many, many years, I switched to chrome about two months ago. Its inability to properly play videos was my primary reason for the switch.

Last edited:

RKB

I updated to Version 57.0 (64 bit) Firefox a couple of days ago and my Laptop seems to FLY with it. I am loving it. I use CCleaner everyday too.
I don't like the Grey colored folders though.

Hope you get your settings and display worked out.

Rod

magpens

Thanks for your reply, Rod.

What is CCleaner ?

Mal

I updated to Version 57.0 (64 bit) Firefox a couple of days ago and my Laptop seems to FLY with it. I am loving it. I use CCleaner everyday too.
I don't like the Grey colored folders though.

Hope you get your settings and display worked out.

Rod

WIDirt

Rounder,

CCleaner is a registry and temp file cleaner application. If you've never used a registry cleaner before, use it with caution. Some registry cleaners, (I've no personal experience with CCleaner) will remove all unused registry items, as well as some items it deems not needed. Replacing software that you use on a daily basis because a "smart" cleaner opted to remove things you need but it didn't like, SUCKS!

Registry cleaners are dangerous, period.

magpens

Thanks for the link, Rod.

And thanks for the warning, Todd.

Last edited:

RKB

No problem Mal.

Note: This is just MY experience with the CCleaner software. I have used it for 4 years now every day and it has improved MY computer's function alot.
Read and research for yourself YMMV.

Rod

Top Bottom