Difficult Day Today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I was happily minding my own business when the queen of clean invaded my space with the tools of her trade. (Pictured below.) I work hard at making a mess. Here she comes and ruins it all. I'll have to start all over again. No swarf or chips to be seen.

On another note, I did make my first bottle stopper. I made it from a branch from a flowering crab tree in our back yard. My wife pruned the tree and I saved a few branches. They have been sitting in the garage for a year or so. I was surprised how nice the wood was and how nice it turned. There is a chip-out at the top but I did not attempt to repair it. Neither my wife nor I partake of spirits but have friends that do. Does anyone turn bottle caps? :>) Most of my friends are of the Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels variety. Bottle caps would be more appropriate.

Must be a slow day. I usually don't have a lot to say.

Attachments

• 20150425_155945.jpg
    20150425_155945.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 20150425_161128.jpg
    20150425_161128.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 20150425_161013.jpg
    20150425_161013.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
WOW! Nice clean shop Les.

I'll PM my address just in case the "Queen" is traveling by!

Nice turning also!

Fay Prozora

Nice first bottle stopper. You can use it for olive oil bottles just as well. I have made a lot of them and they are easy and fun to make. My shop needs cleaning and organizing big time. Great job. Fay

SteveG

Here is my secret, given to you and all who take the time to read this...

Do this quick, before those people who invade your neighborhood and steal all your perfectly good trash, arrive. Find the location where swarf, chips and just generally comforting piles of shop dirt have been placed, pull 'em and spread them back all over the shop. Strive to get things back to the same location within the shop that they were so peacefully occupying prior to this catastrophe. The shop vac is a particularly rewarding venue for this activity...people have reported feeling an amazing sense of being or feeling "whole" again, after in a "shop-vac-material-retrieval" exercise.

Now you must just do this as quietly as possible, and DO NOT MAKE MENTION of what you have done, because that may may the process a bit more difficult to accomplish next time. May you have great and rewarding success in your efforts! Remember, do not say a word. Let the healing commence...

Rockytime

Here is my secret, given to you and all who take the time to read this...

Do this quick, before those people who invade your neighborhood and steal all your perfectly good trash, arrive. Find the location where swarf, chips and just generally comforting piles of shop dirt have been placed, pull 'em and spread them back all over the shop. Strive to get things back to the same location within the shop that they were so peacefully occupying prior to this catastrophe. The shop vac is a particularly rewarding venue for this activity...people have reported feeling an amazing sense of being or feeling "whole" again, after in a "shop-vac-material-retrieval" exercise.

Now you must just do this as quietly as possible, and DO NOT MAKE MENTION of what you have done, because that may may the process a bit more difficult to accomplish next time. May you have great and rewarding success in your efforts! Remember, do not say a word. Let the healing commence...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna feel a whole lot better when I do it!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice job on that bottle stopper.
I made 5 of them last year for a friend who put them on the bottles of smoked olive oil he made for Christmas gifts.

Purty wood too - no need to spend a lot on exotic blanks when you have nice stuff like that growing in the back yard.

turncrazy43

Les, nice job on the stoppers. Check out Nilesbottlestoppers.com. See the gallery page for lots of ideas on styles. She makes great stoppers and mandrels.

KenV

Made in pairs for oil and vinegar sets, the usages are broad.

Ruth niles is now selling a stopper that stands up without a separate stand. She sells good stuff and is a turner too.

I have made a few bottle stoppers.. mostly for bottles OTHER than liquor. We are not drinkers in the house, and when I asked most of my friends, they said why would we need one.. we always finish the bottle. :) :)

I make lots of bottle stoppers for my shows... but I advertise them as the most useless thing I make... as Nature abhors a vacuum, she also abhors a partially empty bottle of wine.

Rockytime

Ruth Niles makes the BEST bottle stoppers EVER!

I've never used Ruth Niles' stoppers but hear good things about them. I bought mine from EZpots.com. Prices are outstanding. Mine were less than $3 each. They are food grade stainless steel and are very high quality.

Top Bottom